Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2007, 02:54 PM   #1

Speedee DB-P13--Harris County, Texas

This bike does not have an EPA or DOT stickers. I want to buy it, but am not sure if I can register it in Texas. The local title office is very ignorant about China bikes. They claim to have never done one before. I told them that the MSO will probably say "dirt bike, for off road use only" or something like that, and asked them if that'll be a problem. They don't know. I guess I'll have to be their guine pig.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:45 PM   #2

Unless you are getting a really great deal on the bike, or plan to only ride off-road, or live in Arizona, I would not buy the bike. There are enough EPA/DOT bikes out there for cheap enough, so I would pay a few hundred more to get one (again, provided you are looking at a brand new unit--a used running bike for $150 is a different story!)

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 12-17-2007, 04:50 PM   #3

Yeah, pretty good deal. Power Max Sport is selling it for $800 plus $200 for shipping. That's almost four hundred less than Motoxtreme's GY5.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:53 PM   #4

I would kill/steal/pillage/rampage for the extra $400 and get the Lifan. Some will say to get the cheaper bike, but I think the EPA/DOT certification will make a big difference, especially as your local DMV office is pleading ignorance! :?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 12-17-2007, 05:00 PM   #5

If I am not mistaken, a few members here bought these bikes at around the same time. However, and I think they will have to chime in to correct me if I am wrong, but these bikes don't come with license plate lights, or brake lights. The members were happy with their bikes, though, and the company came through for them, but again, I wouldn't try to play around with registration if you are planning to street ride, which is what it sounds like you want to do.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 12-17-2007, 05:56 PM   #6

PSM was a great company for me to deal with...My Speedee DB-P12 is awesome...worth every penny and way more...

The DB-P12 did not come with a liscence plate light...I had to make one...it was easy...

However, the DB-P13 does come with one...and they all come with brake lights...

It was a simple matter for me to tell the guys at PSM to list motorcycle on the MSO rather than dirt bike...and they imediately did...and got it right out to me...painless...

You can read my entire story...just do a search for Power sports max so far so good...and look for a myriad of other posts from myself and others that have the latest shinerays...

if i could register mine in MASS (home of the ultimate DMV nazis)...most of you should be fine!! :o

happy holidays...
DB-P12 Shineray Speedee 200 169LFM

Old 12-17-2007, 06:23 PM   #7

I knew you Speedee fans were out there. I am glad to hear that this bike model has all the street equipment. I do hope he researches before he purchases to make sure the registration will be painless in Texas. I do remember reading about Texans running into some problems here and there depending on the bike/paperwork, so to play it safe, I suggested strongly that he purchase the GY-5 which is certified for 49 states' street legality.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 12-17-2007, 10:06 PM   #8

What Alex wrote gives me a lot of confidence. I was also happy to hear that the motorcycle guy at the local motorcycle inspection shop thinks there should be no problem at all even without the DOT/EPA stickers. He said he only cares about brake lights, head lights, license plate lights, etc, but not DOT/EPA stickers. If the MSO doesn't say "dirt bike" but say "motorcycle" instead, I'll feel even better. The only remaining question mark is the manufacture name. I am guessing that the DB-P13 is made by Shineray or Roketa. I don't know how the Title Office will react to a brand that they never heard of. I guess the only thing to do is to try it. No guts no glory. I'm the gambling-type, so I'm willing to risk no license plate for saving 400 bucks. That's 400 bucks that I can use to upgrade the bike.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:18 PM   #9

more than likely the only issues you will have are with the mso and the requirments of your dmv...the manufacturers name with more than likely say "titan" or some veriation there of...that is what my DMV used to title it...the only issue was that the addresses listed on the mso and bill of sale/sales reciept are the same...again...simply speak with psm to confirm all this ahead of time...

Speedee's are very high quality bikes...most design features are well ahead of the norm...hence why i bought one..i have not been dissapointed overall...

YMMV...

8)

Old 12-17-2007, 10:42 PM   #10

What is your max speed? Stock gearing?

Old 12-17-2007, 11:43 PM   #11

after changing my rear sprocket to a 46t...i can do 60+...not much more...

that's pretty standard...don't expect a lot more...in fact if you go with an even smaller rear sprocket, you won't have any power in 5th...

but these bikes are great for experimenting with...it doesn't hurt the wallet nearly as much as a japper...

enjoy...

Old 12-18-2007, 09:24 AM   #12

It sounds like your DMV titles like Arizona, based on equipment. If you feel a good vibe, then go for it.

The Speedee is most likely made by Shineray...but who knows what the MSO will say :?

For reference, the GY-5 gearing is a 17 t front sprocket and a 46 t rear, and those bikes will hit about 65 to 70 mph stock, so a change to a 46 or 44 t rear and 17 t front should net you about the same with the Speedee. Bruce from EJCycles usually has the Lifan sprockets in stock. I would suggest you buy the sprockets when you buy the bike so they can be put on when you assemble the bike.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150