Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2016, 01:44 PM   #1

Thumbs Up Gas tanks on the forks? NO!!!!

Maybe its just me, but did anyone else see the recent CSC Blog showing someones new RX3 with those - auxillary plastic fuel tanks mounted UP FRONT instead of the normal rear pannier location?

No Offense, BUT!!!!

THIS IS A BAAAAAD IDEA!!!

Plastic verses rock, gravel or even abrasive asphalt, or worse, concrete roadways, will pretty much simulate a cheese grater doing its thing to those tanks, putting fuel all over you, the bike, engine and some pretty hot exhaust pipes in short order!!!

the chance of being engulfed in flame is Not trivial!

I would advise a rethink of that installation.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 03-09-2016, 02:19 PM   #2

Old 03-09-2016, 02:50 PM   #3

All depends on your attraction level skills. If that's what you fear, then YOU shouldn't do that. Your fears don't equate to my fears. I've managed several thousands of hard, technical off road miles and not dropped my bike once.

Then again, a few months ago, I was all worried about my new tires on my other big heavy Triumph and getting caught in a first rain. And guess what, I went down coming up to a stop light. It was all I could focus on, and it came to fruition, just like I feared.

Just gotta stop worrying so much, and things have a way of working themselves out.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco Mouse View Post
Just gotta stop worrying so much, and things have a way of working themselves out.
Actually, that's a good philosophy for life, not just motorcycling!

Old 03-09-2016, 02:55 PM   #5

I talk about it all the time now... what you worry about the most always happens. If I fear cancer, guess what... if I fear getting pulled over, because I know my registration is expired, guess what... if I'm always looking over my shoulder for police because I know speeding is bad, "whoo-whoop"

We always get back what we put out. Good or Bad, Focus on good things always happening and you'll live a more contented and happy life.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:24 PM   #6

just stop worrying....

There are two types of motorcycle riders...
1. those who have gone down,
2. those who haven't gone down Yet.

Kind of like the guys you see on mega sports bikes wearing t shirts and flipflops w their girls behind them in swimsuits ..out on the LA Freeways...

When it happens, it is Not pretty... but hey, they weren't " worrying" about it.

One of my careers concerned consulting about managing life-critical situations. Its amazing how often actions were subsequently taken contrary to or in complete disregard of my recommendations (which did not come cheap), resulting in sometimes disastrous consequences. Early on in that career, perhaps in psychological self defense, I adopted what became one of what some came to refer to as "Morgan's Laws", there are several, I refer you to number 6:

"Only render advise once"

I have now done so, my mind will now rest easy and no longer concern itself with how you choose to proceed, and any consequences that may ensue therefrom.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 03-09-2016, 07:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerAtlas View Post
There are two types of motorcycle riders...
1. those who have gone down,
2. those who haven't gone down Yet...
You are absolutely right. Nobody plans to fall, but they do it all the time. There are too many variables beyond a rider's control. If you ride long enough, you are definitely going to fall, sooner or later.

I also agree, it would be prudent to move the fuel containers to a different location.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-09-2016, 08:15 PM   #8

Looking at the pic a little closer. The tanks don't appear to me to be attached to the forks but to the forward engine guards. Never the less, still in a vulnerable spot. I wouldn't be comfortable with fuel in plastic containers that close to a hot engine and my legs in the event of a mishap.

I agree that a positive attitude can effect outcomes. But as they say "hope is not a strategy." Taking responsibility for your own self and actions effects outcomes even more so. Worry about cancer, take steps to eat right and get healthy to ward off illness. Worried about the man pulling you over for expired registration, then get it updated, worries gone.

Rojo

Old 03-09-2016, 11:43 PM   #9

Here we go with the Nanny State concerns. Let's tell others how they should conduct their lives and safety... sounds republican.

Motorcycling is in and of itself very dangerous. You are literally straddling a potential Molotov Cocktail.

So I guess we should all be mitigating our dangers by not riding, since the risks potentially outweigh the supposed rewards.

I don't own a car, don't plan on ever needing one. I ride year round rain or shine. And of course I've crashed, and probably will crash again in the future. But by not making it an inherent fear, I know it's lower on the probability scale than it would be for most other people. I've figured out how life works, and how to live by the law of attraction, and it seems to be working out better for me than just letting life happen and me just reacting to things.

But back to the fuel tank issue... it takes a spark to ignite the fumes of gasoline. So even if the rider were to go down, that tank can take quite a bit of scraping and grinding even before it sprang a leak. And then you'd still need a spark and the right combination of fuel to air ratio to even get the thing ablaze. If you've go these things attached, chances are you are not going to on the main road, but out in the wilderness on an overland trip.

Also, if you know anything about RotopaX, you know they can take a beating and not rupture or leak. So it really doesn't matter where you mount them. If you are afraid of blowing up, you could have left them at home, and you'd still manage to blow up despite all your concern, planning and best intentions. You get what you fear the most.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:17 AM   #10

I think they're attached to the engine guards, not the forks, which is smart. I would hesitate to attach anything heavy to the forks to avoid handling problems.

As to safety, Rotopax are one of the safest ways to transport fuel. I would prefer to mount them on top or behind the boxes, but if I were to mount any fuel container on the sides, it would be rotopax.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 03-10-2016, 08:47 AM   #11

And the original post is why I don't post pics of my bike.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:05 PM   #12

I agree with and am in sympathy with all the above and will only add my sad story for another view of the situation. I had a fanny pack as well as a 2 gal plastic gas can mounted with bungees on the luggage rack of my bike. In the fanny pack were some of those little Co2 cartridges for filling bike tires. The fanny pack and gas can shifted over onto the muffler while going down the freeway. The Co2 cartridge blew up and got my attention right now as it sounded like a pistol going off beside my head. I pulled over shaking and found the gas can resting on the muffler and melting. The fanny pack was shredded and most contents blown out who knows where. I was lucky I didn't get a cheek full of shrapnel or become a flaming spectacle while going down the highway at 65mph. So moral of the story be careful where and how you mount everything cause a little heat in the wrong place will ruin your day.
Ya know what I mean? rj

Old 03-10-2016, 03:51 PM   #13

Bungees are not the safest strapping tool. I've lost so many contents over the years, thinking I've pulled it as hard as I could with the elastic stretched. Friction straps are way better for long journeys.

Oh yeah, I even caused a rear-end accident behind me once because of a bungee cord, came loose and wrapped around my rear sprocket and I came to a stop in a hurry. That sucked.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:27 AM   #14

But how awesome would it be to go through the pearly gates in a giant ball of fire on a Cyclone RX3. I often think about how I will die, with a tube up my nose at 80 or on fire while being eaten by a white tiger. All that said I would move those tanks.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:27 PM   #15

at least the tanks aren't magnesium.

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250