Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2015, 05:23 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
You're welcome. The following link was provided in the first post of this thread.

https://coltermoto.wordpress.com/tri...ible-flotante/

The original poster (op) said the original float height was 65 mm. He thinks the empty fuel tank, warning light will begin to flash after using three gallons by setting the float height to 30 mm.

Yes, the reason why I brought this up was the op rx3 was carbed I believe.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:32 PM   #32

Yes, the OP has an RX3 with a carburetor. However, the 30 mm float height should work the same for a bike with fuel injection.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-08-2015, 05:59 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Yes, the OP has an RX3 with a carburetor. However, the 30 mm float height should work the same for a bike with fuel injection.
Awesome again.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:03 PM   #34
Banned

3.2 x 60 is 192.
So.....looking for fuel just under 200 miles for me. JUST a tad better than the SV's range at it's far side, which I know intimately. So I guess I can live with that.
And.....if you have no problem farkling the hell out of a $3500 bike, a Rotopax and mount looks to me to mount perfectly on the rear of the stock luggage. IIRC there was a large group tour somewhere (not US) and the RX3's on it had dual 1 gal Rotopax on the rear of the stock bags.
In fact now that my mind is on it, I'd rather spend a shit ton modifying a sub 4K bike than a full tilt GS1345Wc Beemer or Katoom1446v4 adventure. Makes more fiscal and perpetual sense.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:43 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
3.2 x 60 is 192.
So.....looking for fuel just under 200 miles for me. JUST a tad better than the SV's range at it's far side, which I know intimately. So I guess I can live with that.
And.....if you have no problem farkling the hell out of a $3500 bike, a Rotopax and mount looks to me to mount perfectly on the rear of the stock luggage. IIRC there was a large group tour somewhere (not US) and the RX3's on it had dual 1 gal Rotopax on the rear of the stock bags.
In fact now that my mind is on it, I'd rather spend a shit ton modifying a sub 4K bike than a full tilt GS1345Wc Beemer or Katoom1446v4 adventure. Makes more fiscal and perpetual sense.
You bet it does

Old 12-09-2015, 12:21 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
3.2 x 60 is 192.
With all the standard features CSC specs our bikes with, I tell folks to not think of it as a $3500 bike, but as a $4500 bike with a $1000 head start.

Using mine for mostly commuting (50/50 freeway & surface street) I've conditioned myself to ignore the blinking fuel bar and dim flashy thing and just use my trip meter. 180-210 miles and I put 3-ish gallons in. Stock 14-44 gears & tires.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:24 PM   #37

Fuel Tank Capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperino View Post
Hey
As you may know, the bike tank capacity is not really the advertised, while every spec sheet you see will tell you that the bike has a 16L (4.2gallons) tank, in reality its capacity is 14L (3.7gallons).
I had read this comment by the OP but unfortunately had forgotten it.

I confirmed his comment this past week, the hard way. I had figured that with a 4.2 gallon tank and 60+ mpg on the first two tanks of fuel that I could get 240+ miles on the tank. So I was scheduled to pull into my local station that sells E0 at 220 miles.

Well, at 205 miles the engine started missing, and at 206 it was done. After an aborted attempt to get fuel from AAA - they sent the guy to the wrong county - I was able to get ahold of my wife. I asked her to bring me exactly one gallon, which she was able to do. More good news - the bike started up right away. It stumbled a bit the first few miles and then ran normal.

After 14.6 miles I was at my E0 gas station and filled up with 2.815 gallons. That works out to 55.6 mpg. I realized that I was probably easier on the throttle during early break-in, and more aggressive now. Figuring in the fuel I burned getting to the gas station it works out to a 3.6 gallon tank - with (important) the way I fill it. There is a tube in the filler neck; I usually fill such that the fuel is about one half inch below the bottom edge of the tube. (Next time I fill I will try to see how much more it takes to fill to the bottom of the tube, and post an update.)

Edit: I remembered that I did this last fill-up with the bike on the centerstand, usually I do it on the sidestand. So I went out and checked - the fill level was about the same both ways. I think that if you were to want to get as much fuel in the tank as possible filling while on the sidestand would get more because the tube is angled and therefore higher on one side to let more air out/fuel in.

Old 02-21-2016, 02:17 PM   #38

Thanks for posting the update, Dan.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-24-2016, 02:03 PM   #39

Send a message via Skype™ to adriansk8
good afternoon,

when I had a problem with the fuel tank float , I think this is because I mark on the tachometer reserve fuel since yesterday , when in fact the tank is full .

Old 03-06-2016, 04:15 PM   #40

You can do this mod without taking the tank off. The problem with the float is the length of the arm is too short. Yeah, you can bend it down, but it will only reach so far. I ran the tank almost empty, with the fuel pump exposed.

The furthest you can bend the wire will still leave the fuel pump covered with 3 inches of fuel. More than enough to consider as reserve and coverage. I measured with a wooden stick, while conducting this experiment.

If you want the float to go lower, then you'll need to take the sender unit out and fashion yourself a new longer wire. If you do that, then you can have a more accurate reading up towards the top all the way down to a considerable reserve.

If fact, if I were to do this, how it's pictured, in the above instructions, I'd bend the wire to get the float even with the bottom of that sender. Not 30mm above. Because the fuel pump sits way under that bottom plate in the lowest sump of the tank. Again, about 3 inches below.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:55 AM   #41

Range

The most I've ever done is 210 miles and the tank took 14.3 litres.

The engine was spluttering.

66.5 mpg UK

Old 03-07-2016, 02:09 PM   #42

How do you know you got 66.5 mpg exactly? The odometer rolls on 1 mile for every 10 actual miles driven. And that's with a 19" wheel.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:59 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco Mouse View Post
How do you know you got 66.5 mpg exactly? The odometer rolls on 1 mile for every 10 actual miles driven. And that's with a 19" wheel.
I will need to pay closer attention.

When I use the GPS to track my trips, I wasn't aware of a great difference between the odometer and the GPS.

On tomorrow's ride I will check the difference.

jb

Old 03-08-2016, 02:30 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco Mouse View Post
I think it would be a good idea to get your odometer checked....it's covered under warranty.

My GPS doesn't show tenths of a mile, only whole miles.

So as soon as the GPS turned 100 miles, I stopped the bike immediately to take a photo, not my best picture, but good enough to see.

The miles were all ridden on the straight and level, when a GPS is most accurate, and in an east-west or north-south direction.

That's one thing about Florida, there's lots of straight and level.

At the same time I took a photo of the RX3's odometer:

It shows 105 miles. Five miles greater than the GPS reading.

By my math that is a 5% difference.

The only road nearby that has mile markers is the Interstate.

And I don't ride interstates on the RX3.

jb

Old 03-08-2016, 05:14 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
I think it would be a good idea to get your odometer checked....it's covered under warranty.

My GPS doesn't show tenths of a mile, only whole miles.

So as soon as the GPS turned 100 miles, I stopped the bike immediately to take a photo, not my best picture, but good enough to see.

The miles were all ridden on the straight and level, when a GPS is most accurate, and in an east-west or north-south direction.

That's one thing about Florida, there's lots of straight and level.

At the same time I took a photo of the RX3's odometer:
It shows 105 miles. Five miles greater than the GPS reading.

By my math that is a 5% difference.

The only road nearby that has mile markers is the Interstate.

And I don't ride interstates on the RX3.

jb
19 or stock 18" front wheel, JB?