Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2015, 02:14 PM   #1

Maine ride report

So went out for a bit on Sat. met up with a couple Ural buddies and decided for a little off road adventure. It was about 1:30pm a 10 mile trek thru some well used but muddy fire roads should take us about a 45 minutes to ride until, yes that right there is always that guy that says he knows where is going, and those who just go along with him because of the "oh what the hell" attitude. Well 39 miles and 4 hours later we found our way to a labeled road. No GPS I left my new TomTom Rider home as I had not setup the mount yet. Of course no cell signal no maps on my phone had not downloaded any. So the ride had all the good features river crossing, mud holes, loose rock inclines and logging slag. The result I went down twice in thigh deep (28" or so just under airbox) water (very muddy cold water) not all the way down as luck would have it. Lost my sheep skin in the puddle so once I got out I waded back in to get it. The next puddle two Urals went in only one came out. Water up to air cleaner, I found a way around this one. So wade into puddle push, pull, you name it and the Ural was out. Full of water she was, remove spark plugs, drain water from carbs, pump water out of cylinders dry plugs. And she (the Ural) is back to life, on we ride. An hour later I am down again just cannot see those rocks under water. No damage by the way very slow soft downs they were. Later after many more mud holes, sand, and streams, we start up a long rocky hill some 1500 feet later we are on top. It is now getting dark, but wait I now have cell signal, I find a marked road only 2000 ft away. After a not too terrible 1000 ft. ride we hit a logging site, skidd'ah tracks and slag deep and muddy we only have 1000 feet to the road but we cannot see it. Off the bikes we go to scout out a way through it does not look good at all. We now have 2 choices try to get through this or turn around the way we came however that was. In my mind there was only one choice straight ahead to the finish line. I went for it and fought for every foot and made it through time for the Urals one made it through no problem the other stalled out in the mud. More lifting, pushing, pulling and he was out. Did not realize how long it can take to get just 2000 ft. It is now 5:30 pm and I am still 30 minutes from home on the road soaking wet and sweaty. It was a hell of an adventure and testament to what this little Rx3 can do (I still have the stock tires on her). Here are some photos wish I had taken more but was trying to save battery life did not take my charging cords either.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:25 PM   #2

This was pretty much the whole ride puddles every couple hundred feet some deep some not, some sand in between and hills but mostly water and mud. Did I say stock tires suck for this

Old 12-28-2015, 03:43 PM   #3

Thanks for the report and photos, Keith.

You are a braver man than I.

I'm glad the RX3 made it home.

jb

Old 12-28-2015, 04:02 PM   #4

Someday, you'll look back and laugh about this 'adventure'. I know we all have had this same type of experience. It just builds character, forms tighter bonds, and makes for great stories/pictures.

Now if it were me, I'd go buy a lottery ticket!

Old 12-28-2015, 04:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman tim View Post
Someday, you'll look back and laugh about this 'adventure'. I know we all have had this same type of experience. It just builds character, forms tighter bonds, and makes for great stories/pictures.

Now if it were me, I'd go buy a lottery ticket!
It is true if all went according to plan then it would not be as memorable

Old 12-28-2015, 06:24 PM   #6

Thanks for posting the great ride report, and photos.

Did you ride the RX3, and let someone else ride your Ural, or did you only take the RX3 on the journey?

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-28-2015, 06:45 PM   #7

Awesome pics! Looks like a fun ride, I just hope you don't suffer from the 'clean bike OCD' I do LOL. If so you'd be in a coma ;-)

BTW who would have thought in December Maine would have better riding conditions than Washington! Glad to see you are enjoying it. I have not ridden for a week. Next week may not be looking so good either.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Thanks for posting the great ride report, and photos.

Did you ride the RX3, and let someone else ride your Ural, or did you only take the RX3 on the journey?
I rode the RX3 as my Ural is still in pieces for restoration. The Rx3 continues to impress me

Old 12-28-2015, 06:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
Awesome pics! Looks like a fun ride, I just hope you don't suffer from the 'clean bike OCD' I do LOL. If so you'd be in a coma ;-)

BTW who would have thought in December Maine would have better riding conditions than Washington! Glad to see you are enjoying it. I have not ridden for a week. Next week may not be looking so good either.
We are supposed to get 6" of snow tomorrow, looks like winter may be here

Old 12-28-2015, 06:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithmaine View Post
I rode the RX3 as my Ural is still in pieces for restoration. The Rx3 continues to impress me
The RX3 is a great bike, and you gave it a proper, dirty baptism.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-28-2015, 06:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithmaine View Post
We are supposed to get 6" of snow tomorrow, looks like winter may be here
I'm glad you got in a nice, adventurous ride before the snow descends.

Doc, the days are getting longer. We will defeat this winter, as we have with every other winter.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 12-28-2015, 07:31 PM   #12

Got to get me a gopro or something Drift steath2 down to $70

Old 12-28-2015, 07:46 PM   #13
Banned

Nice ride report and awesome pics Keith. Looks Epic!

And the weather also looks to be taking a turn for the worse here in Ohio (finally)
May still leave the RX out and take her for some Winter snow rides. The Shinko Big Blocks are getting pretty worn, but would still hold screws well lol

Old 12-28-2015, 08:28 PM   #14

Nice report Keith. I used to have adventures like that in a Jeep in western Maine. The RX3 will turn into a goat with some knobby tires. I'm 80% finished cleaning the mud out of mine for wintah.

12-18" snow tonight, it's here!

Old 12-28-2015, 08:41 PM   #15

If anyone's after a GoPro, the cheaper knock offs are damn near as good, compatible with GoPro accessories (but just buy knock offs). I use a möbius which is a hair bigger than a zippo and works really well. This site has in depth reviews on most of then. These are about 50-100 dollars and usually include a ton of mounts, same quality as GoPro.

http://www.techmoan.com/