Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 08:03 PM   #16

bikes in general

I used to own a 1975 kawasaki h1 f triple. It was a fast sob, a honest 80mph in 2nd gear, 100 mph in 3rd, I had it doing 125mph. It was a relaible bike to, it never fouled any plugs. My buddy owned a piston port r5 yamaha 350. That little thing was wicked fast. Wheelies on demand, and could break the rear tire loose just jumping on it hard in 2nd gear and we are talking on pavement. An awesome bike for sure. I had a yamaha rt1 enduro 360 that literally tore the shoe off my foot when it kicked back, it had about 160 psi compression. The bike I learned to wrench on, honestly I did more damage learning how to rebuild a motor, than if I would have just had the shop rebuild the motor. Live and learn!!

Old 12-09-2007, 03:24 PM   #17

bought a Lifan

I bought an American Lifan GY-5 and it has been pretty good. It had been a while since I owned a bike over 110cc (My Honda CT110 transmission died) and I was unsure of how much I would use a new motorcycle. I looked into Japanese enduros and wanted one, but went with a Chinese because of price and not knowing how much I would use it. The bike has worked very well, and I have used it more than I thought. It made me want a higher end Japanese dual sport. Well I got lucky and scored a Honda xr650l that was flood damaged for $525. With a little work I had it up and running in less than a week and for less than $200. It actually starts and runs better than my China bike, and it is a night and day comparison riding them. I don't mind buy accesories for the Honda, but I won't buy them for the Lifan because I percieve it as wasting money on a cheap bike; even though it cost me more money. The Lifan is not a bad bike, the Honda is just better. The wife wants me to sell one and it will be the Lifan. :idea: Or Maybe I'll just leave it at my dad's cabin in Canada, depends on how much I can get for it :?:

Old 12-10-2007, 06:36 PM   #18

I'm not sure how much motorcycle experience you have, but if it's your first, I'm not sure the Lifan would be the best choice for a first motorcycle. Don't get me wrong, I'm a new LF200GY-5 owner and really like it, but I think it's best to have some bike experience before owning one.

But if you get a used Japanese, you could run into maintenance issues since it's used.

Have you thought about the suzuki 200 dual sport? I really know nothing about these, but I saw one at the motorcyle show and thought it was a neat little bike. About the cheapest Japanese dual sport I've seen too. It's worth looking at.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products...8/Default.aspx

Old 12-10-2007, 06:49 PM   #19

Knowing what I know now, I would have paid a bit more for a decent, used Japanese bike. My Lifan is a decent bike, but there are a number of things that really need improving, number one being the brakes and then more power. I'm looking at it from the standpoint of using the bike daily as a commuter. After about four months of riding the Lifan I wound up buying a Yamaha TDM 850. Granted, the TDM was a very expensive bike back in 1992, but the difference in build quality between the two bikes is phenomenal. (did I mention the TDM has a 0 to 100 kph time of 3.5 seconds? and that's for a difference in price of about $700 and I can still do some trail riding on it!).
If I was in the market for a smallish street and trail I'd really be looking for a Kaw KLX 250 (or is it a KLR?) or a DR-350/400.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantsForNukes

Have you thought about the suzuki 200 dual sport? I really know nothing about these, but I saw one at the motorcyle show and thought it was a neat little bike. About the cheapest Japanese dual sport I've seen too. It's worth looking at.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products...8/Default.aspx
Keep in mind these are most likely made in China by Qingqi.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 12-11-2007, 01:21 AM   #21

The bottomline is that you get what you pay for. The more you spend the better quality bike you will get. It's the same whether you're talking about Japanese motorcycles or Chinese motorcycles. The more you spend the better bike you will get. If I were going to buy another chinabike, I'd go with a cheap Lifan GY-5 from the cheapest source I could find. If I had the money at the time, I'd purchase two of them. One to plate and the other for spare parts.

The difference is when you buy used. Then, all bets are off. You can find great deals out there. Sometimes people don't know what they have or what to ask for it even if they do!
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II