Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2015, 11:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Another member reported that when he removed his front rotor, it sprung back to being perfectly flat. Perhaps you'll find the same thing.
Yes, that is why I recommended the following actions.

Remove the front wheel from the bike. Examine the bearings as I described above. Using a socket ratchet with an Allen key socket, you can remove all the brake rotor bolts. Be careful not to strip the Allen heads. You might need to apply some heat to the bolts with a propane torch. After all the bolts are removed, lift the rotor off the hub. Then re-install the rotor, incrementally tightening the 6 bolts in a star pattern.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-19-2015, 11:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX3James View Post
...So we took a look at the chain. It appears to have the correct tension so I don't think it's too loose or too tight. I do believe my rear sprocket is out of round which is causing the rapid tensionin and loosening of the chain which is causing the noise. I checked the sprocket bolts for tightness just to make sure the sprocket alignment was true and they were definitely tight.. so tight in fact that it took 20 solid minutes of heating with a torch to break one of them free!!

Ok so tonight I'm going to e-mail CSC and explain the front rotor and rear sprocket and ask them to send me new ones.. and with new hardware too because I'm not 100% sure the factory hardware will be usable again..
How many miles have you ridden the bike? I suspect the drive chain is faulty, rather than the rear sprocket.

The best way to loosen the sprocket bolts is to remove the rear wheel, and loosen the bolts while the sprocket carrier is attached to the hub.

Also, I suspect the workers are not tightening the brake rotor in the proper, sequential, crosswise pattern at the factory. If you remove the brake rotor, and install it again properly, I suspect your problems will disappear.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-19-2015, 11:42 PM   #18

I am not familiar with your model dirtbike in particular, but on most dirtbike's, especially with the long travel rear suspension, the chain requires a surprisingly large amount of slack so that it does not bind as the swingarm travels upwards. It may be worthwhile to have somebody sit on the bike, and then check the chain tension with the rear suspension compressed. It is pretty hard on the bike to have a tight chain, if indeed that is the problem. Also changed into where unevenly. I suggest checking it in several locations.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:19 AM   #19

Also look at the alignment of the chain to see if it is running straight, rj

Old 11-26-2015, 12:55 PM   #20

Ok Fellas.. I got ahold of CSC! I spoke with Gerry. They are sending me a new front rotor with 6 new rotor bolts and after a really good discussion with him I purchased the EK 520x110 SRO6 upgraded chain. I could've gotten a replacement stock chain for free but after talking with him about how much of a pain changing out that stock chain with out a master link it was an easy decision to upgrade the chain. I should have them both on saturday. As soon as I get them installed i'll post an update. Hopefully this fixes the last two bugs in my RX3!

Old 11-26-2015, 08:19 PM   #21

As for the chain, I and a fellow biker here had the same issue, uneven noise and uneven tensión when checking. After suspecting binding links (discarded) or stretching (we're both around the 6000 km mark), I finally went the easy route: thorough cleaning with very generous amounts of WD40. My usual chain cleaning and lube procedure, done every other weekend, included cleaning with diesel fuel (gasoil) and a brush, then a cloth and then applying Valvoline White. But it's obvius now that either I was not being meticulous enough or diesel fuel is not as good as a cleaner, because after the high intensity WD40 treatment (I mean: flooding!) it went back to normal, smooth, uniform as it should.

Old 11-26-2015, 11:33 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanro View Post
As for the chain, I and a fellow biker here had the same issue, uneven noise and uneven tensión when checking. After suspecting binding links (discarded) or stretching (we're both around the 6000 km mark), I finally went the easy route: thorough cleaning with very generous amounts of WD40. My usual chain cleaning and lube procedure, done every other weekend, included cleaning with diesel fuel (gasoil) and a brush, then a cloth and then applying Valvoline White. But it's obvius now that either I was not being meticulous enough or diesel fuel is not as good as a cleaner, because after the high intensity WD40 treatment (I mean: flooding!) it went back to normal, smooth, uniform as it should.
I can still remember the good old days when we used to boil our chains in oil to clean and lube them. Mother was not happy.

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 11-27-2015, 10:09 AM   #23

I've always been a tarmac, shaft guy. This new mess of the chain is rather new to me.
The problem with the stock RX3 chain is that you can't remove it without cutting it, so complete immersion in oil is out of the equation...

Old 11-27-2015, 11:44 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanro View Post
The problem with the stock RX3 chain is that you can't remove it without cutting it, so complete immersion in oil is out of the equation...
Not if you cut out one link and replace it with a master.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-27-2015, 11:55 AM   #25

TMW;IL

(Too much work; I'm lazy)

Old 11-27-2015, 09:37 PM   #26

Got my rotor and chain today! wasnt expecting them till tomorrow afternoon. Talk about amazing customer service! Gerry was nice enough to throw new rotor bolts in with the new rotor. I'll be installing them both tomorrow. If everything goes according to plan the last two bugs in my RX3 will be all worked out and I can get back to riding this bike like I stole it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151127_181747.jpg (20.6 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg 20151127_181836.jpg (19.8 KB, 144 views)

Old 11-27-2015, 09:41 PM   #27

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-28-2015, 09:55 PM   #28

I'm happy to report that the installation of the new front rotor and upgraded Chain went very smoothly! Took the RX3 out for a shakedown test ride after and I didn't hear anything at all coming from the chain and the front brake operated perfectly! No more pulsing and no more whining/ growling!! The only question I had was about the torque value on the Rotor bolts.. I think they're M6's so I went with 18..... OK actually 20 foot pounds. That should be good right?

Old 11-29-2015, 12:11 AM   #29

Good for you. Thanks for posting the update. Yes, I'm sure 20 foot-pounds of torque will work well for those bolts.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220