Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 10:33 PM   #1

Give the bottom line....

Hi ya`ll. Question for all you guys who ride China bikes. You guys that have the 200cc bikes. What is the power like?

The reason I ask, is I can get a Zongshen 200cc engine with carb cdi ect ect for $400, The plan is to stick it into a old YZ125 frame I have and then I will have a bike to trail ride with. I am a exsperianced mechanic so fitting it wont be a problem, but will this engine move my bike? Should I go for the 250cc? Is there a big difference.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:05 AM   #2

Roketa runs those engines on some of there quads. I think it will work. I mean I havent ever trail rode one of trhe smaller ones but did test drive it after we built it to sell. I think if slow trail riding is what you want to do it will be fine if you want a little more speed step up to the 250cc. But on the other had there are alot of up grade for the 200cc china engines so if you dont like the performance you can up grade it.

Tom

Old 10-23-2007, 07:53 AM   #3

Quote:
But on the other had there are alot of up grade for the 200cc china engines so if you dont like the performance you can up grade it.
Please list the available upgrades.

Based on what I've seen on this forum everybody wants them but they've been pretty scarce in the wild.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 10-23-2007, 08:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by roketaman
Roketa runs those engines on some of there quads. I think it will work. I mean I havent ever trail rode one of trhe smaller ones but did test drive it after we built it to sell. I think if slow trail riding is what you want to do it will be fine if you want a little more speed step up to the 250cc. But on the other had there are alot of up grade for the 200cc china engines so if you dont like the performance you can up grade it.

Tom
How fast are we talking here,will it do 50 to 60 mph?

Old 10-23-2007, 08:53 AM   #5

Depending on gearing, yes. My GY200 will do ~65mph maxed out with 17/46 sprockets.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 10-23-2007, 10:09 AM   #6

One of the members, maybe member 'OB1' re-powered an XR200 with a Lifan 200cc that his daughter rides (quite successfully) in races and such. As long as you can get the engine to fit the Yamaha frame, and get all the wiring hooked up, I couldn't see a problem.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-23-2007, 06:12 PM   #7

Frostbite let me try to find the sit I found before for you guys. I have a 300cc so it didnt do me any good. But I will be happy to try to find it for you.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:41 PM   #8

Ok http://www.scooterparts4less.com has some parts and from what I have been infromed some of the gy6 performance parts will work To. Please ccorrect me if I am wrong thanks. But I was told the engines are the same except for bore.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite
Depending on gearing, yes. My GY200 will do ~65mph maxed out with 17/46 sprockets.
Does your GY pull hills good or is it a struggle? Im used to riding a 125 2 stroke, I know the 200 isnt going to rip like that but i want to keep up with the pack. :wink:

Old 10-24-2007, 01:11 AM   #10

Hi Hawng
The 200 GY engine {none of them} will have no where near the same power/output that a YZ125 has. Your YZ125 is an engine designed for racing. It's simple, a 4-Stroke engine is not or ever will be close to a 2-Stroke engine on anything. Will it keep up with a 2-Stroke... No... Unless the guys riding the 2-strokes are riding at trail riding speeds. Will it climb hills the same... No way. There is no way on God's green earth that a 2-stroke is comparable to a 4-stroke. You are looking at two complete different animals here... apples & oranges, etc. There are two main manufactures for these Chinese Vertical 200cc GY engines... Lifan & Zongshen. Both companies make a 200cc Push-rod Engine. Lifan makes an OHC {Over Head Cam} engine designed close to a Honda 200cc {4-stroke} engine. Zongshen makes an OHC {Over Head Cam} engine designed close to a Yamaha 200cc {4-stroke} engine. You will be doing a major amount of modifying to the Yamaha frame to fit one of these engines in it, if the engine even comes close to fitting in the frame. The Yamaha engine is half the size of any of the 200cc 4-stroke engines made of any brand.

Hi roketaman
The GY-6 engine is no where close in interchanging any of it's parts to any of the 200cc GY vertical styled engines. Wherever you received your information from is 100% completely wrong. Besides that the GY-6 engine is a horizontal styled fan/air cooled or water cooled engine, where these 200cc GY vertical engines are mostly air cooled, {95% of them}. The GY-6 does not have an internal transmission and wet clutch as the 200GY engine does. The GY-6 engine has a torque converter clutch that runs the transmission. The GY-6 may have the transmission connected by the same cases but not as a complete unit as a 200GY engine. The GY-6 engine has one speed, where the 200GY engine is either a 5 speed, or a {4-speed w/reverse for quads}.

I hope this helps.
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 10-24-2007, 10:54 AM   #11

ejcycles thanks for setting that straight. I want to make sure people getthe right info. I am new to the china engines also. I guess I have alot of learning to do lol.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:24 PM   #12

Hawng - what are you expectations? Are you an aggressive trail rider or lazy? -- riding a 125 I guess leads me to believe you're not lazy because the low end is pretty bad on most YZ's I've ridden.... so you'd be clutching alot and keeping it on the pipe -- or lugging the crap out of it. :wink:

Why are you considering the engine swap instead of just rebuilding your 125?
'02 Kawasaki KX125

Old 10-24-2007, 10:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by John22j
Why are you considering the engine swap instead of just rebuilding your 125?
It seems that nobody has a piston for it, I originally ordered a piston, rings , wrist pin and bearing and a gasket kit, they couldn't find a gasket kit or a piston, so after 9 weeks of waiting to get the thing rebuilt before the snow flys is pretty much shot. I saw the engine on ebay, did some investigating on it and found this place, I figured who better to ask...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejcycles
You will be doing a major amount of modifying to the Yamaha frame to fit one of these engines in it, if the engine even comes close to fitting in the frame. The Yamaha engine is half the size of any of the 200cc 4-stroke engines made of any brand.
With my trusty welder and torch I could put a twin cylinder in it if I choose to. Ive been turning wrenches for many years, building and fabricating. Im not worried about getting it in there. Hell, they said " you cant put a cb400 engine in a quadsport!!" and a month later I was riding it.

I understand the difference between the two, I have riden 125s 250s 500s bikes and quads, heck two weeks ago I went riding with the boys, my buddie has a kx 100 laying around, he let me ride that and I was able to keep up with the pack. At 35 years old now Im not looking to fly, I love trail riding and I figured a engine that could move my ass down a trail and get 50 miles to the gallon is the one for me.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:18 AM   #14

Hi Hawng
I wasn't trying to belittle you in any way... all of the things you mentioned in the last post I put in mine because I try not to assume anything. I'm glad you read the entire post also! I'm glad you can fabricate what you want, many can't today. Good job on the 400 Quadsport. There was a guy out here that put a Kawasaki 750-4 engine in one, there is plenty of room in that frame to do it!

By the way what year Yamaha YZ125 do you have? I should be able to get you all of the parts you need to rebuild it. I'm just finishing & completely rebuilding the engine on a 1974 YZ125.
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 10-26-2007, 06:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejcycles
Hi Hawng
I wasn't trying to belittle you in any way... all of the things you mentioned in the last post I put in mine because I try not to assume anything. I'm glad you read the entire post also! I'm glad you can fabricate what you want, many can't today. Good job on the 400 Quadsport. There was a guy out here that put a Kawasaki 750-4 engine in one, there is plenty of room in that frame to do it!

By the way what year Yamaha YZ125 do you have? I should be able to get you all of the parts you need to rebuild it. I'm just finishing & completely rebuilding the engine on a 1974 YZ125.
I know you werent but to get my point across I had to explain the bigger picture. :wink:

its a 1985 yz 125 the cylinder is punched out 20 over. I would need a piston, ring, wrist pin and bearing and a gasket kit. If you can find them let me know.

I bought the 200cc zongshen. For less that 400 bucks it came with everything to mount it into a frame and run it. I heard the engine fits in the xr 200 with hardly any mods, so I found a old xr 200 at the local shop, compared my measurements and it is going to fit in there with no frame cutting and the front an top motor mounts will work, rear one might be a bit tricky. But all in all it looks like Im going to have the ultimate trail bike, motox handling with a gas saving 4 stroke.