Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2015, 12:30 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucklove View Post
Thanks SpudRider!!! Your bike looks Awesome!!! I love the colors!!! About those jets.... I have 96/34 so what sizes would I want to use for a 'performance' upgrade??? I've read in the threads you directed me to that you guys like 132??? I don't know anything about jets... is that a big jump for mine??? I included a picture of my jets showing their numbers (which I'm sure you already saw) I saw the main jet you linked me to, is that one the performance upgrade for mine??? I just want to be positively sure before I order!!!! So if you could help my dumb butt out n tell me again what numbers to order and do I order both the big on and the little one and is their anything else I need to order along with it??? I'd like to get it right the first time around!!! I've read about guys going in again n again to get the right jet n making adjustments and I don't look forward to doing that task!!!...
You're welcome. Your 230cc ATV is different from my 196cc motorcycle. Therefore, I don't know what jets you need. Unfortunately, you do need to experiment with different jets before you find the ideal configuration. If you change the exhaust, it will affect the air/fuel mixture. Therefore, you probably want to install a new exhaust before you start experimenting with different jets.

You need to discover how the engine is now operating before you decide to try larger, or smaller jets.

Quote:
...I'm not bad with adjusting carbs, I owned a Landscape company for around 20 years and was constantly cleaning and adjusting 6 crews worth of two stroke engines, but I don't know anything about changing the "numbers " on those jets!!!! I also noticed you said the Mikuni threads are a little different than the TK threads, am I damaging the threads by using the Mikuni jets??? My elevation here in Florida is 345 feet according to Google... what does that have to do with anything for me or do I not even need to concern myself with it, I've read that you guys with the crazy elevations like 9000!!!, have to keep that in mind when changing jets... Again thanks so very much for taking your time out of your day to help me out!!!! Matt
The Minkuni threads are slightly different, but they won't damage your carburetor. However, if you are concerned, you can stick with Teikei jets.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-11-2015, 12:39 AM   #32

Quote:
I found this on MCM posted in 2008 along my travels...could you translate it into laymans terms for me???!!!! This is exactly how my carb is performing, bogging at 3/4!!!...
What do you mean when you say the engine is 'bogging' at 3/4 throttle? Does the engine seem starved for fuel, or does the engine seem to flounder a bit because of excess fuel?

If you can't tell the difference, I suggest you try both smaller and larger main jets. Get a main jet which is one size smaller, and a main jet which is one size larger than your current main jet. Your engine will perform better with one, than the other. From that point you can continue to experiment until you find the proper main jet.

I wouldn't mess with that particular company, or 'performance jet kits' in general. You can save money, and have less frustration, if you experiment with individual jets and seek incremental improvements until you reach the final desired result.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-11-2015, 07:41 AM   #33

Thanks Weldangrind!! My motor is a 229cc I probably should have added that bit of info...it's a Yamaha 225 clone...with a 30mm Teikei cv carburetor... raptor yfz450 atv frame clone...Thanks again Matt

Ooops I posted this on the wrong thread!!!

Last edited by bucklove; 08-11-2015 at 12:58 PM.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:48 AM   #34

Thanks for the reply!!! It seems to be starved...it has a K&N aftermarket air filter... the fuel mix screw is about 5 turns out from seated...(shouldn't stock be about 2??) The piolet jet is a 34....when I take off the air filter lid it pops n sputters n bogs down at wide open throttle (it starts from half throttle on) the main jet is a 96 (when I put the lid back on I don't notice the poping as much at full throttle but it still boggs in the last 1/4 wide open throttle ) ...what sizes should I get to figure them out??? I don't mind getting the mikuni jets if they won't damage the threads especially when their over half the cost!!! I just don't know how much to jump in sizes as a starting point!!! I'm working with a 229cc motor with a 30mm cv Teikei carburetor with 34 pilot jet n 96 main jet...n a K&N aftermarket air filter.... ther doesn't "feel" to be any disturbing acceleration in the first 3/4 of the throttle action except for the 5 turns of the fuel mix screw...the spark plug is white n dry ...n when I turn the fuelfuel screw to 2 turns from seated the exhaust pipe starts to heat up n it stalls out...thanks for your help, I hope I mentioned everything to inform you, thanks again Matt (I'm gonna stay with the stock exhaust for now)

Old 08-11-2015, 08:54 AM   #35

Old 08-11-2015, 09:47 AM   #36

Based upon the following thread, I recommend you start experimenting with the following jets.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/512...rket-upgrades/

Pilot Jet: Teikei size 40
Main Jet: Teikei size 125, or Mikuni size 130

I don't know where to find Mikuni pilot jets which fit the Teikei carburetor.

I also suggest you visit the XT225 forum.

http://www.xt225.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

In addition, I encourage you to read the following thread.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6501

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-11-2015, 12:48 PM   #37

Would it be possible to replace that CV carb with a Mikuni VM26?. CV carbs don't seem to do well with low restriction air filters. You need a new throttle cable as well. But if the diameter of intake manifold lines up (perhaps you could even bolt on the intake manifold from another upright engine), it should be a bolt on swap. The VM26 works very well with 223CC motorcycle engines.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:01 PM   #38

Thanks Spudrider!!! I ordered the Teikei main n pilot jets...we'll see how that goes when they get here ina week or so!! Also do I need to be concerned about the needle??? It's in the middle position right now and I'm at around 10ft sea level...

Rice e I thought about doing that but for now I'm gonna just go with the jets n see how it goes!!! Thanks!!!

Old 08-11-2015, 02:48 PM   #39

Quote:
Thanks Spudrider!!! I ordered the Teikei main n pilot jets...we'll see how that goes when they get here ina week or so!! Also do I need to be concerned about the needle??? It's in the middle position right now and I'm at around 10ft sea level...

Rice e I thought about doing that but for now I'm gonna just go with the jets n see how it goes!!! Thanks!!!
Start first with the primary jet, then the main jet. You will tweak the jet needle last.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-11-2015, 05:43 PM   #40

Ok!! Thanks for all your help SpudRider!!! Matt

Old 08-30-2015, 10:47 PM   #41

Ok, Update!! I did a Z1 mod on the exhaust and put in a K&N air filter with an outerwear cover on it and took off the lid/cover. I put in the 130 main jet and didn't touch the pilot yet because it runs like a raped ape right now!! (But I will be checking it out soon but I just have'nt been riding it much as i've been replacing other things on it!!) I moved on to the clutch plates whitch are the same as the YZ85 and a handful of other Yamaha products... and some electronic parts. Time to learn about that now!! A service manual would be nice!!! But I cant seem to find one for this model anywhere!! Well thanks for your help!!! Matt

Old 08-31-2015, 12:07 AM   #42

I'm glad the 130 main jet worked so well for you. If you search, you can certainly find XT225 and TT-R225 service manuals available for download. Of course, you can also purchase a printed manual for both of these Yamaha bikes, which will include valuable information regarding the engine.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-31-2015, 12:40 PM   #43

Thanks!! I've thought about the manuals for a while, what really stumps me is the fact that everywhere I look it says it's a "YFM250" design (because of it being a 229cc I assume) BUT that motor is a shaft driven motor, and the whole bottom end is totally different!! (Except for the Raptor YFM250 engine which is obviously different) so do I need to buy both manuals??!!! And I've noticed the clutch side case is different by the kick start area but a kick start kit will fit and I'm going to install one of them...I'll post some pictures... it'd be nice if there was a 229cc XT/TT/TTR motor to buy the service manual to...but it seems that JIANSHE combined the XT225 bottom end with the YFM250 top end...I guess AND the really weird thing is I can not find ANY information on this motor 'except' that it's a YFM250 copy and if you look up the JIANSHE 229cc motor it comes up with the newer version of the Shaft driven model....oh well...Somewhere out there is the information!!!!

Old 08-31-2015, 12:42 PM   #44

https://goo.gl/photos/1hWzacPsqDTH9udE7

Old 08-31-2015, 12:44 PM   #45

https://goo.gl/photos/yzsZVNHVwim2W6yE6