Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2015, 09:20 PM   #1

Zongshen Sierra Progress

So the day has finally come where my bike is FINALLY working again after 2+ years. The most recent modifications were a new stator, CDI, & gaskets. I did about 50mi on it today and it works like a champ! No more stalling at red lights and stop signs, random dying, etc. The only things I need for it are the following:

- New battery
- Shorter brake cable (I lowered it a bit so it needs to be 3in shorter)
- Correct size rear sprocket (I ordered what Spud's link said but the mounting holes were slightly off?)
- Something that I'm calling a control arm bushing? Mine is nearly disintegrated. Its located below the swingarm, very difficult to get a good picture of. If it helps, I have the updated XT225 swingarm. Any suggestions as to where to purchase?
- Ordered the large JC Whitney trunk, it should be here Tuesday!
- Turn signals randomly stopped working. I looked over wiring and everything looked fine except a black cable from the turn signal was unplugged. When I plugged it back in, nothing changed so I left it unplugged for now. All other lights are working fine.

See pictures below, and enjoy the ones from today's ride as well!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EyQ4fKtl.jpg (35.3 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg fMDKai3l.jpg (32.0 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg INmJ3Ayl.jpg (62.5 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg avsM6UXl.jpg (77.4 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg rwXSnijl.jpg (46.7 KB, 161 views)

Old 06-14-2015, 01:25 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by iquitmyscene View Post
So the day has finally come where my bike is FINALLY working again after 2+ years. The most recent modifications were a new stator, CDI, & gaskets. I did about 50mi on it today and it works like a champ! No more stalling at red lights and stop signs, random dying, etc...
Good for you!

Quote:
...The only things I need for it are the following:

- New battery...
I recommend a YTZ7S battery. I really like the Motocross/Yuasu batteries sold by this vendor.

http://www.batterystuff.com/powerspo...ies/YTZ7S.html

Quote:
...- Shorter brake cable (I lowered it a bit so it needs to be 3in shorter)...
Are you talking about the hose for the front brake, or the rod for the rear brake?

Quote:
...- Correct size rear sprocket (I ordered what Spud's link said but the mounting holes were slightly off?)...
If you have an XT225 swingarm, do you have an XT225 rear wheel? If so, you need a rear sprocket which fits the XT225. The JTR468 sprocket is for the stock rear wheel.

Quote:
...- Something that I'm calling a control arm bushing? Mine is nearly disintegrated. Its located below the swingarm, very difficult to get a good picture of. If it helps, I have the updated XT225 swingarm. Any suggestions as to where to purchase?...
How is the shock absorber attached to the swingarm? Are you using an XT225 shock absorber with the progressive, lower shock linkage? I need more information.

Quote:
...- Turn signals randomly stopped working. I looked over wiring and everything looked fine except a black cable from the turn signal was unplugged. When I plugged it back in, nothing changed so I left it unplugged for now. All other lights are working fine...
Did all the turn signals stop working? I am not aware of any black wires connected to the turn signals. Please post a photograph of the offending wire. Did you check all the connections? Did you try another flasher unit? I need more information.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-14-2015, 10:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post

Are you talking about the hose for the front brake, or the rod for the rear brake?
Sorry, I wrote this when I was really tired, so when I read it back today it didn't really make sense, sorrry about that. I'm talking about the front brake hose.

Quote:
If you have an XT225 swingarm, do you have an XT225 rear wheel? If so, you need a rear sprocket which fits the XT225. The JTR468 sprocket is for the stock rear wheel.
I.purchased the motorcycle with the swingarm already on it and VERY little information. I will need to get the tire/rim size of the existing rear wheel. To my understanding, the stock rear sprocket is the stock sprocket... it is aluminum & slightly curved if that makes sense? Its not flat like the new one.

Quote:
How is the shock absorber attached to the swingarm? Are you using an XT225 shock absorber with the progressive, lower shock linkage? I need more information.
I've attached a better picture of the bushing thing below, its one of Spud's images I borrowed for clarification's sake.

Quote:
Did all the turn signals stop working? I am not aware of any black wires connected to the turn signals. Please post a photograph of the offending wire. Did you check all the connections? Did you try another flasher unit? I need more information.
I will take a picture and upload as soon as possible. All turn signals are currently not working, but rear brake, high & low beams work fine. I'm thinking the black wire is the ground, but I'm not 100%. Going down to take some pictures now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ConversionPix014.jpg (72.2 KB, 152 views)

Old 06-14-2015, 12:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Sorry, I wrote this when I was really tired, so when I read it back today it didn't really make sense, sorrry about that. I'm talking about the front brake hose...
Having a little extra brake hose is better than having too little. I'm sure you can reroute the brake hose to take up the small amount of extra slack. Otherwise, you will need to discover which motorcycle has a brake hose of the desired length, or you will need to order a custom brake hose.

Quote:
...I purchased the motorcycle with the swingarm already on it and VERY little information. I will need to get the tire/rim size of the existing rear wheel. To my understanding, the stock rear sprocket is the stock sprocket... it is aluminum & slightly curved if that makes sense? Its not flat like the new one...
Please post photographs of both sides of your rear wheel, including the sprocket. I strongly suspect you have a Yamaha, XT225 rear wheel. In that case, you need to purchase a rear sprocket for the XT225. The JTR sprocket you purchased is designed for the stock wheel which fits the original swingarm.

Quote:
...I've attached a better picture of the bushing thing below, its one of Spud's images I borrowed for clarification's sake...
I must ask again, how is the shock absorber attached to the swingarm? Please post photographs of the shock absorber and how it attaches to the swingarm and the frame.

Quote:
...I will take a picture and upload as soon as possible. All turn signals are currently not working, but rear brake, high & low beams work fine. I'm thinking the black wire is the ground, but I'm not 100%. Going down to take some pictures now.
The stock turn signals which were original equipment on the bike don't use black wires. However, the previous owner of your bike probably installed aftermarket turn signals. Please do post photographs of the turn signals and their wires.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-14-2015, 05:03 PM   #5

Here is an album of pictures I took so far. I am going down right now to take some more.

http://imgur.com/a/jmAPm

Old 06-14-2015, 05:20 PM   #6

Thank you. Please do post the rest of the photographs, I am close to getting most of the information I need to help you.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-14-2015, 05:32 PM   #7

I am awaiting your additional photographs for verification, but based upon the photos you provided, I have reached the following conclusions.

You bike does have an XT225 rear wheel. Therefore, the JTR468 sprocket will not fit. You need to get a rear sprocket for the Yamaha XT225.

It seems the previous owner modified the stock (original), Zongshen shock absorber to fit the XT225 swingarm. Your XT225 swingarm does employ the Yamaha, progressive, lower shock linkage. I believe you are trying to replace that lower shock linkage. If so, you can find that item for sale in used condition at eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...nkage&_sacat=0

The previous owner of your bike installed LED turn signals. If your turn signals suddenly stopped working, I suggest you check all the connections to the turn signals. That black wire probably is a ground wire, and it does need to be connected. You should also check the turn signal flasher and the main fuse.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-14-2015, 05:40 PM   #8

Ok that link is officially ready to go. If there are any other images you need, I am outside now so I can upload them quickly. I have also posted a picture of my "solution" for the brake cable for now (it was starting to get singed from the exhaust) and my horn. I'm looking for suggestions as to where to locate the horn or where its worked for people in the past. Mine currently doesn't work, but I'm going to get a new one soon and see if that solves the issue.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:46 PM   #9

I checked the ebay link and that's not exactly what I think I'm looking for. I'm looking for the rubber piece that I've circled in the image below. Maybe I'm wrong?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Exact.jpg (89.1 KB, 196 views)

Old 06-14-2015, 05:53 PM   #10

Thanks for posting the additional photos. I stand by my conclusions in post #7 of this thread.

I suggest you measure the length of the current brake hose, and then order a custom brake hose of the desired length. Galfer, and some other companies will sell you a custom brake hose of any length you desire.

I relocated my horn behind the headlight.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-14-2015, 05:55 PM   #11

Thank you SO much for all your help. I'll have to start ordering!

Old 06-14-2015, 05:55 PM   #12

Quote:
I checked the ebay link and that's not exactly what I think I'm looking for. I'm looking for the rubber piece that I've circled in the image below. Maybe I'm wrong?
The circled area shows the bottom of the lower shock linkage, and the mount on the frame. Neither of those parts is made of rubber. The lower shock linkage is made of aluminum, and the mount was undoubtedly fabricated from steel.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-15-2015, 10:48 AM   #13

It certainly looks like that Sierra has been Spud-ified. I wonder if a former member owned that bike.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-15-2015, 01:02 PM   #14

I also recommend you consider purchasing a used, XT225 shock absorber from eBay. The XT225 shock is far superior to the modified, Zongshen shock absorber which is currently installed on your bike. The XT225 shock has more travel, and rebound damping.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-17-2015, 07:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
It certainly looks like that Sierra has been Spud-ified. I wonder if a former member owned that bike.
True story, when I bought it 3 years ago, the man I got it from said, "go to this website and ask the guy called Spud something any question you will have and he will know. He is a genius!" Haha he said he got a lot of ideas from him. And while mentioning Spud-ified, my JC Whitney trunk came in today. I cannot thank EVERYONE on this forum enough for teaching me so many things
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vr8ZzkVl.jpg (41.7 KB, 148 views)