Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2015, 02:01 AM   #1

Head Scratching Engine idles for about 3 seconds then dies.

I just washed my bike today after some riding in the desert this weekend. I made sure to plug my carburetor hole (for lack of a better name) and my exhaust. I cleaned my carb and reassembled it and put it back on. Now one in every 10-20 kicks it runs for about 3-10 seconds then dies. I looked for spark before The plug and I can see sparks but I didn't check the spark plug yet. I tried taking off the air filter which I had also cleaned to no avail. When it does die it makes a loud whoosh sound. Any help is great, thank you. (especially you weldangrind)

Old 05-06-2015, 11:09 AM   #2

Please tell us what you mean by "I looked for spark before the plug and I can see sparks but I didn't check the spark plug yet." Please describe the procedure you used.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-06-2015, 01:57 PM   #3

I couldn't find my plug socket so I put a screwdriver in the wire that connects to the spark plug and held it next to the muffler and I could see spark when I kicked it.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:47 PM   #4

Yeh your going to have to get that plug pulled. Severely fouled or even broken plugs are very common. Replace it no matter what it looks like just to be sure. And get a few spares.

/

Old 05-06-2015, 07:01 PM   #5

But it ran fine just before I washed it?

Old 05-06-2015, 07:11 PM   #6

Do you have the air cleaner/filter installed? Did the filter get wet? The filter must be installed to create the correct restriction for these bikes to run correctly. Just something else to look into.

/

Old 05-07-2015, 01:11 AM   #7

I bet there's something trapped in the slow jet. Washing it might just be a coincidence.

It could also be the CDI. If you don't have a spare, you should buy one. They're handy for troubleshooting.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-12-2015, 05:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
Do you have the air cleaner/filter installed? Did the filter get wet? The filter must be installed to create the correct restriction for these bikes to run correctly. Just something else to look into.

/
My bike runs fine without the filter. I got it working however. I cleaned the carb again and it started right up.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:19 PM   #9

Have you changed the fuel lines? I like the blue or clear lines that are used for snowmobiles, since it's easy to verify flow, and no chunks of black rubber will end up in the carb.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Have you changed the fuel lines? I like the blue or clear lines that are used for snowmobiles...
These thingy are made from TPU http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoplastic_polyurethane
===

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=41863505062 is one of the OK quality that made in China
(Wait a minutetheir boss is Taiwanese http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheng_Shin_Rubber)