Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2014, 02:50 PM   #1

Latest Adventure

Hey gang,

We all know that life takes certain twists and turns that we all experience, some worse than others, some even quite joyous. I know that there have been other issues with the good members here in our CB community and this may pale in comparison but now that it’s on the mend, I thought I’d share.

A couple years ago, Mrs. 2LZ company that she works for went through an overhaul of management when the head honcho retired and turned the reigns over to another group. At that point in time, she’d been there for over 12 years of good reviews and semi-regular bumps in pay and had survived all the cuts and slashes that the economy had brought.
Enter new manager in her unit about a year ago. For some reason, this person felt it necessary to make my wife’s life a living hell, (along with a few others) writing her up for the first time since she’d been employed there, on things that were completely inaccurate and proven to be so through Mrs. 2LZ thorough documentation. Big mistake, never prove your boss wrong. So five weeks ago, after 14 years there, I got the text that she was sitting in her car in the parking lot in tears….that she had been fired. No severance, nothing. They sent her packing with a large boot in her backside and cashed out what little vacation she had, minus a ton of taxes. The good part? (if there is one), she’s no longer at the mercy of that retched boss. The bad part? She is now joining the expanded ranks of the unemployed in a faltering economy and to complicate matters, at the ripe young age of 53. I know that age isn’t SUPPOSED to be a factor, but…realistically, it is. To top it all off, our incomes were virtually identical, so we suddenly lost half of our household income. I’m the Family Financial Manager so I did what any respectable person in that position would do…..and of course that would be panic and stare endlessly at my spread sheet.

I’ll cut this short and say that she went straight into job hunting immediately. There was no “stay home and get your head together” time involved. We both knew the best thing for her was to hit the pavement, grab her boot straps and get back on her feet as quickly as possible, even if she had to take a substantial pay cut or worse, start completely over in a new career field even though she’s well-qualified at what she does. She went straight to the EDD site, signed up for Cal Jobs to get on the hunt list and signed up for State of Ca. job exams, just in case. She contacted two head hunters, hit the phone and internet making contacts and networking. Within a few days, she had her first on many interviews.

Thank the Good Lord, hard work on her part and many prayers, last Friday she got the word that she’d made it through the three interview process with a company that she was very interested in working for and they offered her the position to start on the 28th. (WOO HOO!) This week she goes through the finger printing and background checks but she’s clean as a whistle so there shouldn’t be any problems.

We’re not looking a gift horse in the mouth. It’ll only be six weeks when this chapter comes to a close and we both feel very fortunate that we dodged what could have been a very large and scary bullet. Many, maybe even here, have been out of work for far longer and continue to search and my heart and prayers go out to you. It’s a very scary situation. Never quit, never give up.

I’m not sure I would have handled this quite as gracefully as she did. I keep saying I “married up”…and once again, she’s proven me correct in that assumption. So with one more week off, her and her dad are going out to the range today and celebrate at 300 yards. Today’s menu? The M1’s. That’s my girl!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-21-2014, 09:46 PM   #2

What a great ending! Thank you for sharing this with us. Next time you have a family issue, please feel free to include your friends at CR, so we can send prayers your way.

Congrats on Mrs. 2LZ new job, and may it be even more fulfilling than she hopes.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-22-2014, 08:20 AM   #3

These are some of the worst kind of adventures. I've been through it three times myself and it very stressful.

Congrats to Mrs. 2LZ for grabbing the bull by the horns and getting done. Who knows, maybe she will be the best thing to ever happen to that company.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 07-22-2014, 09:48 AM   #4

X2 on everything Weld said.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-22-2014, 04:07 PM   #5

Shooting guns. Grat way to celebrate. Congrats on the new job.