Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 11:07 AM   #1

Sputtering out in fifth

My Lifan GY-5 runs great most of the time. I was wondering if anyone had a problem with the bike dying upon deceleration. I adjusted the carb like everyone is saying to make it run leaner because it almost seems like it is flooding out. It doesnt pop or anything, just like someone hits the kill switch. The bike runs great until it gets hot. Once it is up to operating temperature it does not like to decel without fluttering the gas. Do these bikes have a fuel filter? Im thinking that maybe something is getting in the carb and make the float stick. But one thing that confuses me is that if i let the bike sit for a minute after it dies, it runs like a champ again... any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:28 PM   #2

Kind of sounds like what was happening to mine.

Ended up being the gas cap not venting, it would run great for different amounts of time then it would just sputter and die then after sitting awhile it would fire right back up.

Next time it does it pop the gas cap off then put it back on and see if it starts right up or you could just pull the fuel line off and open the fuel valve to see if you have a consistant fuel flow.Mine had to run for a minute or so then would just drip a little when it was clogged.

If all that checks out start looking at the carb, make sure it is clean and no air leaks around the intake.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:30 PM   #3

Ditto on the gas cap. Just gave mine a couple "knocks" and it's OK now. When it's working good you can hear the air leaking in and out as the temp changes while the bike is just sitting there. Kinda like a pssssst, pssssst, pssssst sound. When it was stuck I did not hear this sound.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:21 AM   #4

where do these caps vent from? i didnt see any true vents on the side or top of the cap. i took the locking mechanism apart and cleaned it out, but i couldnt find any vents that let in fresh air. I WOULD NOT RECOMEND TAKING THIS RUBIX CUBE OF SPRINGS APART. :evil: Do these caps vent in around the sides of the cap?

Old 08-03-2007, 03:36 PM   #5

yeah they are a bit of a puzzle (a fun puzzle-6 tiny springs everywhere) but if you looked closely you will see two small holes that it vents thru.

I couldnt tell you where they vent on the outside but I'm guessing it is either under the cap, outside of the rubber gasket or up around the key.

EDIT: Oh a typical vent on a gas cap has a small ball bearing in it that bounces around, I guess to allow air thru but in the event of a crash to maybe limit the gas leakage IDK.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:51 AM   #6

yay!

Well i did what you guys said, and i officially took it out on tour today. I think that is what it was. I didnt have any problems. Thank You.