Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #1

Zongshen Sierra Electrical

My 06 zongshen dual sport had a cracked brake light and front signal light. I ordered some new ones and tried to replace the lights myself. I unplugged the wires for the brakes and had to plug them back in because I need wire transitioning to finish the job. I reconnected my old brake light and now it's always on, as if the brakes are being applied all the time. Also, after swapping my turn signal lights, both sides now come on instead of either one that I activate. If I click my signal to the left, all four lights stay steadily on(front and back, right and left), and my brake light is constantly on as well. Should I have unplugged the battery before tinkering with the light wires? Can anyone help with this?

Thanks in advance

Old 12-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalTk View Post
My 06 zongshen dual sport had a cracked brake light and front signal light. I ordered some new ones and tried to replace the lights myself. I unplugged the wires for the brakes and had to plug them back in because I need wire transitioning to finish the job. I reconnected my old brake light and now it's always on, as if the brakes are being applied all the time. Also, after swapping my turn signal lights, both sides now come on instead of either one that I activate. If I click my signal to the left, all four lights stay steadily on(front and back, right and left), and my brake light is constantly on as well. Should I have unplugged the battery before tinkering with the light wires? Can anyone help with this?

Thanks in advance
It sounds like you connected the brake light to the tail light wire. However, the Zong has a special wire connector which should have prevented this from happening. Did you remove the white connectors leading to the brake/tail light?

Regarding the turn signals, did you change anything else, such as adding an LED bulb to the system? Are you sure you connected everything the same as before?

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
It sounds like you connected the brake light to the tail light wire. However, the Zong has a special wire connector which should have prevented this from happening. Did you remove the white connectors leading to the brake/tail light?

Regarding the turn signals, did you change anything else, such as adding an LED bulb to the system? Are you sure you connected everything the same as before?

The tail light had a female/male connector. I toyed with that connector a little bit and hope that something simply came loose or was damaged from pulling on the wires. When I buy a new connector here in a few minutes and connect it to my new taillight, I hope it will solve my problem.

The blinkers I purchased are LED and two wires each. I'll try switching the wires places. I did not think of trying that last night and maybe they are simply mixed up. I'm just surprised that my back blinkers which worked fine both turn on whether I signal left or right. They stay solid instead of blinking upon revving.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to Tvnacman
check the brake light switch .

John

Old 12-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #5

If you install any LED turn signals, you must either remove the turn signal, indicator bulb, or install a diode kit for the indicator bulb. Did you get two, or four, LED turn signals? If you only got two, LED turn signals, try removing the turn signal indicator bulb. If you got four, LED turn signals, you will also need to purchase an LED flasher unit.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #6

Yes, it's possible you damaged the brake light connectors. I agree, you should also check to see if the brake light switch is operating properly.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 12-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to Tvnacman
Quote:
If you install any LED turn signals, you must either remove the turn signal, indicator bulb, or install a diode kit for the indicator bulb. Did you get two, or four, LED turn signals? If you only got two, LED turn signals, try removing the turn signal indicator bulb. If you got four, LED turn signals, you will also need to purchase an LED flasher unit.
You don't always need the led flasher , depending on the flasher in there .

John

Old 12-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #8

OK-

I've removed the two flashers I had added as well as disconnected the taillight entirely. My two rear blinkers stay on steady when i switch either the left or right indicator on. Would these normally stay on if the taillight was disconnected?

Old 12-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvnacman View Post
You don't always need the led flasher , depending on the flasher in there .

John
I'm well familiar with the Zong's flasher, John. It will work with two, LED turn signals, but not with four, LED turn signals.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 12-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #10

Quote:
OK-

I've removed the two flashers I had added as well as disconnected the taillight entirely. My two rear blinkers stay on steady when i switch either the left or right indicator on. Would these normally stay on if the taillight was disconnected?
Did you remove the bulb from the turn signal indicator, as I suggested? As I said earlier, LED turn signals will not work on your Zong, unless you either remove the bulb from the turn signal indicator, or install a diode kit leading to the indicator bulb.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 12-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Did you remove the bulb from the turn signal indicator, as I suggested? As I said earlier, LED turn signals will not work on your Zong, unless you either remove the bulb from the turn signal indicator, or install a diode kit leading to the indicator bulb.
That was the problem. The rear brake light still stays on. After testing the foot brake switch, it works. I'm going to try to figure out how to check the hand brake switch. I put the old stock signal-lights back on and that problem stopped. I will look at it again tomorrow and possibly try to remove the indicator bulb. I was tugging on the wires to the male transition and am going to assume that I damaged a connection which stops the brake light from turning off.

Another question: My indicator bulb currently works and this Zong has 2 LEDs in the back. They flash when revving. Does this seem normal? The after-market LEDS were rigged by the previous owner and the wires are zip-tied and connected to the old ones. Doesn't seem to be any extra stuff to make them flash/work while still keeping the indicator bulb.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:58 PM   #12

As long as you have two, incandescent bulbs in the turn signals, the turn signal indicator will work. However, if you switch to four, LED turn signals, you will either need to remove the indicator bulb, or wire a diode kit to the indicator bulb to make it work.

No, it's not normal for the turn signals to flash when the motor revs. I suggest you repair the makeshift wiring, otherwise you will continue to have electrical problems.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 12-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #13

Quote:
As long as you have two, incandescent bulbs in the turn signals, the turn signal indicator will work. However, if you switch to four, LED turn signals, you will either need to remove the indicator bulb, or wire a diode kit to the indicator bulb to make it work.

No, it's not normal for the turn signals to flash when the motor revs. I suggest you repair the makeshift wiring, otherwise you will continue to have electrical problems.
Thanks a lot for all your help.

I'm gonna go with the 4 LEDs and try to fix up the wiring. Will any flasher do the trick to get them working properly? Also, the screws for the stock tail light are set wider than the "universal" tail light I purchased. Any leads on where I can get a good one for the Zong? Otherwise I may have to hook it up above the license plate. From what I can see, the flasher installation seems pretty simple. I'll try to check some videos for help.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #14

Quote:

If I connect all four LEDS, as well as use an LED rear brake, will the removal of the indicator bulb (the blue light next to the high beam and neutral indicator) make everything work properly? I want this thing street legal for the weekend!

Old 12-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #15

Quote:
If I connect all four LEDS, as well as use an LED rear brake, will the removal of the indicator bulb (the blue light next to the high beam and neutral indicator) make everything work properly? I want this thing street legal for the weekend!
Yes, two LED turn signals and an LED tail light will work if you remove the turn signal indicator bulb. Four LED turn signals will work only if you remove the bulb and install an LED flasher.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220