Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #1

Ignition troubles

Hey all,

Awhile back I posted some pics of my old Kawasaki KL250. As I said then its sort of a work in progress. I'm sure alot of you here can identify with that. In any case, I'm having this issue where when after its started and gets hot it starts missing on acceleration and finally will just die out completely. I think this may be due to it losing spark. What I have done to be sure so far is: check the valve clearances to make sure one isn't too tight and possibly losing compression, all is well there, I have Ohm's tested the charge coil and I get 2.4 Ohms spec for it is 1.9. Not really sure if that is ok, but its close. My only other thought is that possibly it is losing magnetism in the flywheel and weakens further when hot. I just wondered if anyone here has ever come across this? For those who don't remember this is it.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #2

power from the stator should pass through the voltage regulator/rectifier then to the cdi. most folks remove and replace.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #3

To clarify, it is not a DC ignition system it is a 6v AC breaker point ignition. So that does not apply. Thanks alot though!

Old 08-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #4

Ahh, glad you pointed out that it's a points system. That will narrow things down. A lot.

Two things will cause the system to shut down when hot. A bad condenser or a bad coil. If you haven't already, replace the condenser (Cheap), double check the points gap and if the breaker plate is part of a mechanical advance system, make sure it moves freely.

The resistance reading from the coil has me a bit concerned though. If I read your description correctly, the spec is 1.9 and you are getting a reading of 2.4 Ohms. That 0.5 Ohm is better than a 25% deviation from the norm and anything over 15% would have me aiming it towards the trash can.

Also, check that none of the wires from breaker plate are frayed and making momentary contact with the engine case.

My two cents.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts