Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #1

Getting the 660 ready for this summer

New chain and sprockets.
New brake disc's and pads
New rear caliper

needs an oil change and air filter cleaning and it should be good to go.

Here are a couple of pics as it is right now.

Thats the fuel & tool mounted in the modded rack with the tire repair kit (I still need to protect the compressor)

Here is a shot of the rock guard i made for the center.

It was a quickie free job but i like it.I still need to change the bolts to something less likely to snag on logs, it does rattle/vibrate at certain RPM's but I'll fix that.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #2

Sharp machine. I like Yamaha Blue 8)

How did you cut the rock guard? How did you measure where to drill the holes? What was it made from?

Old 04-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #3

The rock guard is an aluminum construction road sign that was left by the side of the road in the ditch for several months long after the work was done so i snagged it.

i did a rough measurement of 13 x 40 then cleaned one side and scored a baseline down the center the full length and worked off the baseline for all measurements.

I used what was left of the old plastic guard for the 4 rear holes alignment then once those were done I could bolt it up and mark the next 2 farther up then i made a nylon block that wraps around the front 2 frame tubes and drilled the front mounting bolt hole.

I cut it with a jigsaw/sabresaw and used a wire wheel and palm sander to clean it up.

The hard part is getting the reflective film off and then the adhesive under that.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #4

I like it.

My experiance is that things like that are tough to measure and fabricated and drill the holes accurately. Well done.

Road signs are good material. The adhesive is very strong though.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #5

Hey TC, thanks for checking in!

Nice job on the repurposed construction sign. It'll last as long as the atv. You could try button head fasteners, but they'll be a bear to remove after they get beat up. The hex head bolts you have are probably the easist to remove when the time comes.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #6

You quad look great, TC! Thanks for checking in with us.

You did a nice job with the luggage rack, and your skid plates are superb. I agree with Weld regarding the bolts. I have hex head bolts on the skid plates for all my motorcycles; they are far easier to replace when damaged.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #7

My KLX's Ricochet plate uses button headed Allen screws. The plate gets a lot of use :wink: , but the screws look OK. Worst case scenario would be to cut a slot in them and remove with a screwdriver.

On the other hand, I wouldn't worry about the hex heads hurting anything.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
My KLX's Ricochet plate uses button headed Allen screws. The plate gets a lot of use :wink: , but the screws look OK. Worst case scenario would be to cut a slot in them and remove with a screwdriver.

On the other hand, I wouldn't worry about the hex heads hurting anything.
That's a good point, Doc.

However, I also dislike the Allen head bolts because the holes fill with mud, making it more difficult to remove the skid plate for maintenance reasons. The hex head bolts don't present a much larger profile than the button head bolts; I doubt they will snag much more easily on obstacles. Although it's fairly easy to cut a slot in the bolt, I prefer not to do it if I can avoid the hassle. Also, I don't enjoy making unexpected trips to the hardware store for replacement bolts.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #9
Administrator

Nice 660! What year? I had a blue one also, it was a 2001, the first year. The tranny let loose in it like most '01's. I sold it with the blown tranny last year for $1200, then bought my current '06 700.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #10

I've never removed mine. It has a hole in it to access the oil drain plug.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
I've never removed mine. It has a hole in it to access the oil drain plug.
I know you don't like to ride in the mud. Also, in your arid region of Washington you don't get receive much rain; hence, you don't get much mud. However, I like to slog through the Idaho mud in springtime and fall. Therefore, I periodically remove my skid plates to clean out the old oil and mud that collects inside, even though my skid plates have an oil drain oil.

Also, I need to remove the skid plate on my XR650L to periodically inspect and clean the oil filter bolt at the bottom of the downtube. For the CRF250X, it's easier to clean and lubricate the lower shock linkage if you remove the skid plate. The CRF250X also requires you to remove the skid plate if you want to drain the coolant.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #12

Thanks I like this quad its like riding on the back of an angry gorilla.
(it moves in a forceful, determined manner)

its an 04 and I was glad to see that 12T front sprocket on it because i could only get it to go up around 58-61ish so the stock 13T with the stock size tires, unlike the large tires that were on it should put me close to the 70MPH mark.

I'm going to make a "special tool"" and try too recess the aluminum around the holes but if that doesnt work I'll have to use button head bolts.We have logs on some of the trails from time to time.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #13

I can understand how a quad might get hung up while surmounting a log. In those circumstances, the hex head bolts might certainly exacerbate the situation.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
I can understand how a quad might get hung up while surmounting a log. In those circumstances, the hex head bolts might certainly exacerbate the situation.

Spud
They wouldn't pose to much of a problem for me for the most part but then there are those exceptions that will give me fits because of the tiny bolt heads.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCheap
Thanks I like this quad its like riding on the back of an angry gorilla.
(it moves in a forceful, determined manner)
Best line read on CR this month!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer