Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2007, 03:04 AM   #1

Deadzone DS event and 2000km Report

Well, I went out for the weekend with the dualsport BC group on thier organized ride, the DeadZone, at Spences Bridge. I rode the bike there from here (abbotsford to spences bridge), broke my motor mount bolt again on the ride up, duct taped over both ends so it wouldn't fall out, yet still provide the support for the motor. Went into cache creek and found a machine shop, got a bolt that was long enough and it has held up since, also got a spare.

I tried the b course test loop, I dropped it on the steep down hill (really steep) in loose sand, my emgo bark busters saved the brake lever, but I scratched the barkbuster and the back of the mirror, and actually bent the handle bar a bit. Will require some elbow grease to straighten. So I decided I better do the c loop. I did also drop it twice coming out of the mud too fast, and bent the rear brake pedal, will also require elbow grease. It was a fun ride, there was around 130 riders between the c and b routes. There was some logging roads, a bunch of mud holes, puddles, single track, steep stuff, rocky stuff, scenerey etc. We started riding at 730am, and I finished up there, packed up, and left the camp at 530pm headed for home, got home around 9pm.

I'm not going to fill this thread with pictures, but they are all in thier own gallery located here: http://chinariders.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=5575

After I got home, I was putting it in the garage and was pushing sideways on it and cracked the white side cover, doh..

Now, the 2000km report.

It actually has closer to 2400km on it right now. The bike seems to hold up pretty good to the abuse, and it seems to have enough power for a 200cc.

The Good:
Fun, cheap, easy to handle, easy to do maitenence

The bad:
Stock battery = crap
motor mount bolt keeps breaking
bolts that have come loose (aka need loctite) : battery tray, rear footpeg, motor mount, skid plate, the one on the back of the tank that holds the seat down.

The ugly:
Ive bent my front rim, scratched my mirror and bark buster, scratched my front fender, cracked the white side cover, bent the rear brake pedal. Rattled my lisence plate apart.

I think for the money the bike is great, but you need to keep an eye on the bolts (probably true for most of these bikes though, when I was at harrison a suzuki lost a bolt, and today a klr lost one on the subframe). I would also recomened replacing the stock battery, though I haven't done so yet, I just use the kick starter. I'm also using stock tires, they seem to work pretty good on pavement, and they seemed alright off road. I don't really know what else to say... It's serving it's purpose

Old 07-06-2007, 04:56 PM   #2

if anyone is interested, there is a bunch of pictures here: http://www.dualsportbc.com/photogall...ry.php?cat=702 also, these are from a bunch of different people on the ride, show off some of the riding a little more.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:12 PM   #3

Jim Love the pics... I wish I had time to get away and do something like that. Work and kids seem to want to control all my time and money though. I hope you don't mind I stole a pic for my computer wallpaper Horizontal_Riding_at_Cornwall.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:50 PM   #4

Well if it is from the second link, then it isn't mine... I only took the pictures in the china riders gallery, but if your using it for a wallpaper i dont see how it can hurt

Old 07-06-2007, 06:12 PM   #5

no worries I'm not like some who use other peoples pictures on the internet and claim they are their own. I just like to have something different to look at while I'm at work. I promise it will go no further.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:27 AM   #6

WOW,

Now that's a ride!
I have only taken mine on the highway once to go to Harrison and back. Now I use a truck to take anywhere out of the wack. I found it a scary ride at 110Kph. I bet the ride through the canyon was great. I used to drive the canyon a couple times a month for work in Boston Bar. The pics are great and now the Bike has character

Old 07-15-2007, 12:46 PM   #7

Quote:
and now the Bike has character
Hehe, yeah. It was a little slow on the highway up in the mountains with the steep hills and headwinds, but I just kept an eye on my mirrors and moved over if anyone caught up, or stayed right when I got to the passing lanes, it was very nice in the canyon like you said . Once I got to the lowermainland I just got tucked in behind a giant rv and that worked well