Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2013, 08:56 AM   #1

Yamaha XT225

I used to teach motorcycle safety classes. Two of the bikes we used in class where the Yamaha TW200 and XT225. I rode the TWs quite a bit and they handled excellently. My wife actually took and passed here riding test on one. I wanted to get a dirt bike to go with my ATV so that she could ride the ATV while I rode a dirt bike. I shopped for a TW but after reading the specs on the XT decided it might be better. It is just slightly taller than the TW but has a larger engine and a sixth gear. That should make it better for the road.

My wife had a bit of trouble getting on the XT but once on it the suspension settled down and she could flat foot it. She has mentioned in the past that she'd like to be able to go with when my son and I go for a ride on my Vulcan 1500. So with the XT we have something she can ride on the street and I have a dirt bike.

My max budget was $2000 and most newer TWs and XTs were a bit above that. I saw this 2005 XT on on Craiglist for $2000 but wasn't yet ready to buy. A few weeks later the seller reduced the price to $1850 so I got interested. It is a 100% original bike that will need things like a battery and tires in the future so I offered $1700. Seller said he really wanted $1750 which I was fine with but wanted a bit more. Seller said he would throw in a dirt bike stand and a dirt bike helmet in my size. That sealed the deal! He helped me strap the bike to my 6x12 flatbed trailer. I had never put a bike on a trailer but with some instructions from the advrider.com forum I did fine.

My 9 year old son was excited that I was getting a dirt bike. When he saw it he couldn't believe it had passenger pegs. We went for a ride in 50 degree rain that night. He loved it.

It was very nice that when I registered it the entire process took 15 minutes to apply for the title and get a plate. I had been having nightmares about possible issues if I tried to register a Chinese bike from an out of state dealer.

In the end I got a not too old Japanese bike for what I would have likely paid for a new Chinese one. The bike is cold blooded in the cold wet weather we have. It required full choke to start and keep running. After about 5 minutes of running it could be run without the choke. But it does seem a bit more sensitive to choke position than my Vulcan or my Honda 300 ATV.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #2

At that price it was a no brainer. Yamaha all the way.

The xt is on my possible list.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:21 AM   #3

That looks like an excellent bike. What year is it?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-31-2013, 11:04 AM   #4

It's a 2005. I just added that detail to my original post.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:33 PM   #5

Worth every penny. Another no brainer.

Beautiful elegent simple well designed understressed safe fun reliable machine for less than the price of a CB. 8)