Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #1

My new WR250X

As some of you know, I had a 2002 SV650S that was my baby, but I grew up on dirt bikes and from the moment I saw my first DRZ400SM in 2005 at a local dealer I was in love with supermoto. Last year I bought a Qlink XF200 for really cheap, to see how I liked the supermoto style for my daily driving. It was not a bad bike, but not really a good one, either. I had a lot of fun on it, though. I finally came to the realization that the SV was just not doing it for me anymore, so I posted it on craigs list and within a week I had a buyer. Then I started looking at what I might buy to replace it, and found a KTM 625 for sale. So I put the XF up for sale, and within 2 days I had a buyer for that. Of course the KTM was sold by the time I had my money in order, but I found something that I liked even better.

I have always loved the WR250x. Modern technology, fuel injection, six-speed, and really good looks. I had a 2006 CRF250R that I use to play in the dirt, and really like the size of the 250. I frequently checked the listings for the WRx, but they were very rare to see any for sale near me. But I found a really clean one local with some nice mods for a good price, and couldn't be happier.

Buying a used bike is sometimes a crap shoot, but here is what I can see:
2008 Yamaha WR250x - 2800 miles at time of purchase
FMF Q4 pipe
Airbox flapper screwed down
K&N air filter
FMF power programmer
45 tooth rear sprocket
Speedo-healer
Rear fender kit, not sure which, but looks nice
Mirrors with integrated turn signals, not sure what brand
ProTaper handle bars
Gel insert in the seat
I think it has stock tires, which are nearing the end of their life

The FMF programmer was all screwed up, not sure what he was thinking. The bike would randomly cut out while cruising. After much research, I fixed the mapping a little and it runs much better now, very smooth and pulls really well for a 250. The FMF pipe is L O U D but I sort of like it. I have the stock exhaust, and was considering putting it on there, but not sure if I will or not. I am loving this little bike, so much fun!

I can't really compare it to the XF, it is on a whole different level in terms of smoothness, comfort, suspension, power, etc. I had fun on the XF, and hope its new owner does too, but this WRx is just awesome and I am really happy to have it.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #2

I hope you're ready for the wave of forum envy that's heading your way :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Old 08-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #3

Wonderful choice. One of the best dirt oriented D/S bikes in it's class with wonderful potential for personalization/modification. Enjoy!

I am surprised the Q4 is loud. It's the quietest high performance exhaust available. That's why I have one on my KLX and my YZ...

Maybe time to repack it.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #4

That bike is amazing! The only thing I'd change is the front fender to a shorter SM style, but it's otherwise exactly what I'd build. I don't recall seeing those frames in black before; did the PO paint the frame?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-30-2012, 12:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Wonderful choice. One of the best dirt oriented D/S bikes in it's class with wonderful potential for personalization/modification. Enjoy!

I am surprised the Q4 is loud. It's the quietest high performance exhaust available. That's why I have one on my KLX and my YZ...

Maybe time to repack it.
Loud might be relative. The stock pipe on the Qlink couldn't be heard from 10 feet away. And I had the stock exhaust on my SV as well. The Q4 isn't ear splitting, but it is a nice deep grumble that barks when you give it gas. Probably just slightly louder than the stock exhaust on my CR250F. I am considering the FMF "megabomb" header, which claims to boost another 3 hp AND lower the noise by 1.5 dB. Not sure if it is worth the investment.

The WRx always had a black frame as far as I know. Lots of people chop the front fender, or get an Acerbis one or something. Not sure what path I'll go. Maybe give it a little trim.

My cousin owns a sign shop so I am thinking of getting him to do some tasteful graphics for it. I sort of like the old school Yamaha look, maybe something like this:

Graphics kits are expensive!

Old 08-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #6

I've been tempted by the Power Bomb for my KLX just to make it even quieter but I can't bring myself to pay that much money for a header. I already have a header. The bike came with one...

Old 08-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #7

Congratulations! You got a great motorcycle, DM. Please keep us updated with more reports and photographs as you add miles to the odometer.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-31-2012, 12:05 PM   #8

Nice ride I am extremely happy with WR250R Mine was also low miles and I redid it in white with old school graphics. Mine was mostly stock and I am keeping it that way. Only mods I did is lower it (lowering link ) and a spare set of warp 9 rims with street bias'd tires for commuting (21 front)

Old 09-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #9

The old school graphics get my vote!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #10

Hello everybody, haven't been on here in a while. I'm having a blast on the WRx. It is pretty much the bike I've always wanted, and I am so very happy to have found this. Lightweight, but a really nice power curve. I love the tall seat. I am 6'2" and finally have a bike that I feel comfortable sitting on. The tires are just about finished, but they are fun to slide around on. I am getting used to the FMF Q4 pipe (with my earplugs in) and actually some engine tuning seems to have quieted it down a bit. My neighbors might disagree. I am still contemplating the FMF Megabomb header, but not sure if it is worth the $250.

I haven't taken it off any sweet jumps yet, but maybe soon...

I have been playing with the fuel computer a lot, which is good and bad at the same time. Sometimes I just want to go ride, but my engineer brain is always analyzing everything and trying to think of the next tweak. I have it running really strong. The only issue I am trying to work out now is that when the bike is cold, especially in the cooler mornings, it has an off-idle stumble or cutout until the engine can really warm up. I am trying to tune this out right now, and am making some progress. Too much to play with! :wink:

I haven't even started on the suspension yet... 8O That will be another month of mental masturbation and tweaking the fully adjustable forks and shock, which also has ride height adjuster.

Sometimes simple is better, with too many things to adjust there is too much to think about. But really dialing in the bike is half the fun!

Fuel economy is okay, not great but not terrible. Each fill up (there are a lot of them with this 2 gallon tank!) seems to do a little better, and I got about 58 mpg on my last tank. I am certainly not riding it easy, and with all the mods it pumps a lot more air and fuel through it. My SV got between 50 and 55 mpg, so I am on par with that. The problem is that the low fuel light kicks on around 70-80 miles. I am used to going 160+ miles on both the SV and the XF. I am filling up every other day on my commute to work.

On the day I said goodbye to my faithful SV650S: (I love how the seat on the WRx is as tall as the top of the gas tank on the SV).

Old 09-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #11

That sounds like great fun! I wish I could commute to work on a bike, but I'm stuck in a minivan. Wearing a golf shirt. Yep... :(

Old 09-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #12

I am still contemplating the FMF Megabomb header, but not sure if it is worth the $250.

I'm in the same boat with the KLX. At least the Q4 is the quietest high performance pipe on the market, much better than my prior loud but beautiful TBR-M7.

As far as mileage goes when I was stock on D/S tires I got in the mid 70's to low 80's. Jetted, piped, and on knobbies I get about 60-65 in the commuter/highway role, and maybe a bit better on trails. Pretty similar to what you are seeing.

My CB175 gets about 70 MPG.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #13

I have been trying to find a used Megabomb, but there aren't many out there. I did offer a guy $175 for one, but he wouldn't go for it, still wanted $200 for his used one. I have a 'spare' $300 in my PayPal account, but I think I need that for tires before I can spend it on the header. The Q4 is a nice pipe. Sometimes it sounds way louder at lower RPMs than higher ones. I guess it depends on the resonance. The Megabomb is supposed to act as a resonance chamber and further lower the volume.

The bike does not have a readily accessible tachometer on the display, which is sort of strange but I guess you don't really need one. You can access a tach through the diagnostics mode on the display, but when the tach is showing the speed is not, and also the odometer is disabled. I found myself bouncing off the rev limiter more than I expected to, but the bike revs really quick and I am still learning the power range. My CRF redlines at 13,500 rpm. Amazingly high for a single cylinder. The WRx tops out at 10,800 rpm. It feels like it would keep pulling, but the limiter kicks in first.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #14

Funny you mention the tach. Even though it's not 'important' it is a feature I really like and is one of the reasons I bought the KLX over the WR. That and a couple of grand... :roll:

Old 09-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #15

Thanks for the update, DM. Indeed, "tweaking" the bike is half the fun!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894