Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2012, 09:15 AM   #1

A few changes

I was'nt happy about a couple of things on the drifter so decided to get rid of them and do my own.

First off, in my opinion the backrest and rack looked silly. The saddlebag mounts were partially home made and the guy had made some errors which were nearly fatal to the rear fender. When he mounted the rack to the bags he put to long of bolts in it and gouged the sides of the fender pretty bad. Should've taken some before and after pics of the fender but, I didn't. The saddlebag mounts, rack, and sissy bar probably wieghed in around 50 to 60lbs. I pulled everything off, fixed the fender and used some leftover paint from the vulcan I did for my wife last year and blended the paint into the original. Wasn't a perfect match but very close. I then built and painted my own rack. probably knocked 15lbs off the total weight. I also added some tips to the exhaust and turned them slightly away from the fender.

My nieghbor gave me a brand new plasma torch which came in handy on this project. First, I made a rubbing of the tank decal then layed the side pieces out on some 12ga steel I had. Used the plasma torch to cut out the design, did a quick sanding then placed the 3/8 rod between. After, I got it all together I did a good sanding job on it, did my airbrush magic, and put about 8 coats of clear coat on it.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #2

Looks pretty cool. I love the plasma torch. Like cutting metal with a pencil. I use it for all my art projects.

The rack flows nice with the bike in the profile view.
Looks like a really comfy bike!

Old 03-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #3

Nice work, very clean and artistic.

Are the imperfectly matched areas on the fender covered by the rack or saddlebags?

I was also given a plasma cutter but don't know how to use it. It's still in the box.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #4

Thanks guys.

Plasma torches are pretty cool tools. This one will cut 1/2in plate steel. The last one, I used was 33yrs ago in a tank factory. For the time it was classed as computer controlled. Just set it up, push a button and go. Never had to touch the torch at all. By todays standards it would be past obsolete. Anyway, my nieghbor has parkinsons so he wasn't able to use it. His kids aren't interested an learning anything and since, I do all of his welding, he gave it to me. I have no idea what it cost him but I'm sure in the thousands. It was a heck of a nice gesture on his part and well recieved.

It did help the bike's look and flow of the tail section.

Doc, the blended area is covered by the saddlebags. I'll try to get some pics of the blended area if, I get time today and post em. Also, plasma torches are so easy to use even a caveman could do it

Old 03-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #5

Jim, that looks really sleek! You totally changed the character of the bike for the better.

Free plasma cutters? You guys should buy lottery tickets.

JimW and Doc: do your plasma cutters have integral compressors, or do they need an external air supply?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #6

Mine you hook to your compressor I think.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #7

Thanks weld. Mine requires an industrial air compressor which was given to me with the torch. The standard household units won't keep up with it. I'll explain a little. My nieghbor is 73yrs old and has a very good income. He buys things with no intention of using them except as a tax deduction so they either get piled in a corner somewhere or he gives them away. Some of the stuff sits until it's no good. In the 90s he was the second largest exporter of farm equipment from US to Canada. He has 8 nearly new pickups ranging from 1/2 to 1ton all tagged and insured to use depending on what he needs to do that day. Plus 4 semi trucks and a good number of combines he leases out to custom harvesters. I'm contract labor for him and do turnkey work. For instance, he buys alot of drop deck semi trailers and brings them to me to rebuild. Whatever they need, I do. Weld in new cross members if they need them, new wiring and almost always paint. I rebuild combine sieves for him also which turns into an additional $50k per year income for him. Most of the time, he doubles his money on resale of the trailers. He works 7 days a week from the time he gets up till dark. Truthfully, He keeps me busier than I want to be most of the time but, I do work for other people too. I weld, I custom paint helmets which, I'm doing one right now for a guy, work on atvs, bikes and an occasional lawn mower. I stay pretty busy without his stuff but he and I are friends so his comes first.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #8

Wow, he sounds like a good guy to keep happy.

Doc, you gotta tear into that plasma! You can make all kinds of cool stuff with it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #9

I don't have a shop. No room. Want a brand new in the box plasma cutter real cheap?

Old 03-30-2012, 11:04 PM   #10

Wow! That looks great! You did a beautiful job, Jim.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-31-2012, 12:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
I don't have a shop. No room. Want a brand new in the box plasma cutter real cheap?
Please define "real cheap".

Old 03-31-2012, 09:08 AM   #12

Thanks, spud.

Doc, the blended area is even with the tail and turn signal lights so it is visable just to the rear of the bags

Old 04-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Yes, please...

The one I use belongs to my work. It does 3/8" steel pretty easily. You have to attach external compressor.

I would love to have a personal one if my artwork ever branches out, but as Weld said...

Old 04-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #14

Let me find out what I have and you can make me an offer. Brand new in the box I never even opened it. It's very big and heavy I can tell you that.