Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #1

KZ

Here's a couple of pics of a bike, I had for a grand total of 4 days last summer. I had forgot, I had these pics or, I would've shared them before now. I traded for it on a saturday in Wichita Ks, 220mi from me and the wife and I rode it home. 122degs that day and one of the most interesting days of riding, I've ever had. Last summer was the hottest summer, I can remember with over 60 days of 100deg heat and no rain. The hack wasn't even close to lined up with the bike and we fought a head wind of 35mph all the way home. I was so sore the next day from fighting the wind and sideways pull of the hack, I couldn't hardly move. The following tuesday, I took it to the dmv to get the vin verified and some guy saw it and offered me a price, I couldn't refuse so before, I knew it it was gone. I had plans of restoring it, but the cash offer was just too good.

91 kz police 1000

Old 02-23-2012, 10:10 AM   #2

What an interesting machine!

Do you know if the sidecar had some sort of tie rod or spherical rod end that provided alignment? It seems silly to create a sidecar that simply relies upon welding / bolting to the frame of the bike.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #3

Nowadays what I'm looking for is not speed or how expensive or image.

I'm looking for interesting.

That there qualifies! :P

Old 02-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #4

Interesting yes but it was a beast to ride. Gas mileage was about 31mpg. 25 to 28mph before adjusting

During the 4 days I had it, I adjusted the hack and made it much better to ride. It was all supported by the frame of the bike with 3 turn buckle adjusters. The guy had the hack wheel toed out way to much and had the bike sitting level with the car. The bike has to lean away from the hack so when wieght is loaded on the rig the bike and hack sit level. If the bike and hack lean toward each other its nearly impossible to ride which, I quickly learned the hard way.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #5

I was a passenger in a hack once for a short ride on a Harley rig. Lots of fun. quite scary. 8O

Old 02-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #6

LOL that's exactly what my wife said! I've heard the Ural, I think that's the right way to spell it, with a hack has both rear wheels driving it. That would take the side pull out and put more fun in in my opinion.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #7

Since there's no differential you can only engage the axle lock off road or in the snow.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #8

Well shoot, I wasn't sure how they were built? I think hacks are pretty cool. If, I had kept that hack I was planning on lowering the windshield. I think it would've helped with the resistance. It wasn't the original anyway and, I'm nearly positive the original was shorter. The one that was on it was a good three inches above the passenger's head. No need in it being that tall

Old 02-24-2012, 01:17 AM   #9

That's a cool bike! Thanks for sharing the photos, Jim!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #10

Thanks spud. Anytime I have a cool pic, I'll post it for all of you guys