Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #1

Suzuki Savage 650

Well, I went and picked up the lil Suzi today, doc and spud. It's a nice little bike but I don't think a tall person over say 5'9" would be comfortable on it. I haven't got to ride it enough to tell much about it but will give a report when, I get some miles on it. And a pic of course

Old 02-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #2

Awesome. :P

Did you check out the link to Ryca? Whadcha think?

Old 02-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #3

Congratulations, Jim! As always, we eagerly await your photos!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-21-2012, 07:49 AM   #4

Yes, I did doc. They're cool looking and certainly something to consider doing to it. It's suppose to be around 60deg today. Maybe, I can get it out for a good run

Old 02-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #5

I got an 80mi ride in yesterday. I can't really add much to most of the reviews scattered on the net. It's a neat little bike. Light, nimble and fun to ride. Plenty of power for most anything, I'd ever do with it. That could have a little to do with my wieght tho since it doesn't take much to haul 155lbs. 70mph the bike didn't even break a sweat, but the mirrors were useless at that speed because of the vibration and a definite handfull of bees feeling in your hands. Drop it into the low 60s and most of the vibs disappeared to a minor buzz. Suspension isn't bad at my wieght either but a heavier guy would get all the good out of it, I'm afraid. The front end dives under breaking more than, I'm use to but never felt out of control. I'm not overly impressed by the seat because it has a tendency to make you slide forward resting your privates against the tank. I'm sure a spacer or two under the front edge of the seat would remedy that. 2up would be uncomfortable unless the passenger was a child or very petite woman. The clutch lever pulls easy and all the controls are easy to access for smaller hands. I will say that the bike would be a great bike to teach a new rider on. It's light wieght and ease of control inspires confidence.

3900mi in excellent condition and new tires.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #6

As I posted earlier I really like the look of those bikes. 8)

It's belt drive may make it difficult but maybe it can be geared taller? The big Thumper can lug down low to pull smoother on the highway.

A fork oil change and some PVC preload spacers will take care of the front end. :wink:

Perhaps a trip to the seat upolsterer can make a thicker/taller saddle to improve comfort and legroom.

Enjoy the bike! :P

Old 02-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #7

True doc most of the stuff is just minor things easily fixed for the most part. I've heard of people changing them to chain drive. That would be an option for higher gearing.

They are nice looking bikes and like the ninja, suzuki has been building them for a good many years. I think for my wife and I I'll will probably just leave it like it is for now. When warm weather takes hold she can ride it to work and save a few miles on her star. Plus the lighter wieght will make it easier for her in town. The cbr is still gnawin at me so I might see if a dealer in Amarillo Tx has one. Amarillo is about 120mi from me so not to far to go check one out and see how it feels.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:13 PM   #8

That's what I do when I can't decide. I eventually get both. :P

NOTE>>>

This does NOT work with women. :wink:

Old 02-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #9

That funny, doc and I'm sure true

The Mrs. took it for a ride yesterday afternoon and came back all smiles. She said the same things, I said about even without me giving an opinion. One more thing to add is tho not as fast it's more fun than the 500 vulcan she had

Old 02-23-2012, 11:36 AM   #10

Do they sell different size pulleys and/or belts?

I'd also look into having the seat raised and reshaped by a shop and different bars.

Maybe talk to the Ryca folks. I'm sure they have addressed these issues already. I bet you can get a seat and bars and maybe gearing from them withough the full kit. :wink:

Old 02-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #11

Can't answer the pulley question, doc. The other stuff, I'll do some asking around and see what one of the local apolstery shops charges.

I'll check out the savage forums when I get a chance and see what all those guys are doin to thier bikes