Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #1

2011 Gio X31 headlight(s)?

What is the stator capable of putting out on these engines? I bought a couple aftermarket car fog lights...55W a piece and I want to put at least ONE on the front of the bike. I am going to relay it in off the battery, and put a switch in beside the innition switch. A nice push/pull light up style switch to activate and kill the light(S) when needed.

It is getting dark pretty early now and I don't want it to cut into my riding time.....ever ride a bike while holding a 3 million candle power flashlight to get you home? Not for a beginner rider at ALL!! 8O

I got everything to do this install, I am just wondering if I should buy a couple spare stators as well, I might even downgrade the light bulb(S) to 35 watt ones.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:29 PM   #2

well, I said screw it and went ahead and done the install on a single 55 watt driving light. it's nothing spectacular, but that thing sure is bright!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...8030b71&type=1

It's teh last three pics. It's done right, wire loom all over the wires, all tied off to the main harness every 4 or 6 inches and fused with a 10 amp fuse. I got the lights in packs of two, so if I ever eat dirt and break the housing, I still have a spare. I very well may downgrade to a 35 watt bulb, or see if an LED H3 bulb exists. WAY less draw with LED.

My main concern is burning out the stator. I KNOW my battery is good, but it's the otiginal. I have left the bike for two weeks and came out to start it....battery is still fully charged.

Now, with all this said, I plan on taking a little trip to my local big rig parts supply shop and buying a SMALL (1"x3" stop/tail light to mount on the back. I am going to hook it to the light switch so it comes on as a rear marker at night, but I am also going to wire it directly to the front brake switch via a relay to activate the brake light....I know it will only work with the front brake lever, but that is better than nothing at night when trying to get home

What do y'all think? If you guys got lights on your bikes, post pics or links. I wanna see what you guys got too!

Old 10-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #3

It looks very bright, judging by the pic. Did you wire the headlight to a switch? Did you use a relay? Thanks for the report.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #4

Thanks Weld! I am ALWAYS tinkering with my gear, and this is just a little tiny bit of what I am capable of doing when bored and waiting for my dump truck to be put back together at Cat lol.

I was going to use a relay, but two of those lights draw a mere 12 amps. I only used one, so I am judging that I am drawing 6 or 7 amps. The switch says it's good for 20 amps, and I JUST ordered the H3 LED pure white light bulbs for the head light.

This will cut my draw in less than half....3 amps TOPS for teh headlight, and less than one amp for the single LED red tail light I installed about 10 minutes ago. At least this way, I will be seen a little more at night than I am struggling to carry a flashlight, and ride at the same time lol.

I would be more than happy to draw up a schematic for anyone who wants to give this a whirl.

Again, this isn't so I can get a notion to go riding on a whim at night....it's so if I am out late and I lose track of time, I can still make it home safely. I don't know how the stator is going to take this, but with the VERY LOW draw LED's, I think it should be ok!!

Old 10-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #5

I've had similar thoughts with our junk. We've encountered trouble on the trail before, and it can make the difference in terms of getting back before dark.

For the quads, I picked up some universal tractor lights with 35w bulbs and rubber housings. My plan is to fab a bracket that attaches the light to the handlebars, which allows the light to illuminate where your bars are pointed; much better than static headlights on the crash bar. I picked 'em up at Princess for $7.00 each.

Our junk was already wired for lights, so I didn't have your challenge.

A schematic might help others, if you have the time.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer