Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2011, 12:24 AM   #1

Hi BIrd QH 250 ST...well it works now so I thought I'd share

Then it's on to this thing...a 2008 Hi Bird QH 250 ST.

When I got it the thing wouldn’t run. The kid I bought it from says he stopped using it because the axle carrier had broken off. I welded the axle carrier back into place and got it around where it’s supposed to be, but there’s an assortment of other issues. Namely the swingarm bushings are bad and the swingarm is just plain bent. I’ll try to sort them out later but they don’t keep the thing from being rideable...just makes riding interesting.

It took a lot more to make run than just adding a battery as the kid said...but it likely wasn’t to his knowledge really. The wiring harness was damaged pretty badly from poor splice attempts and miscellaneous repairs. I was getting no spark unless I wiggled the harness just so....so I made a new harness. Bypassed everything not essential and ran all my hots and all my grounds directly to the battery. No shared hots or grounds except at the terminal. Still no spark, though, so slapped another CDI on and bam! Everything works.

As you can see the first thing was get some lights! I had a set of HELLA fixtures laying around and wanted to use them. I got a lot of flak about the being able to handle the combined 110 watts of draw, but it runs them nice and bright, no problem. I wired them to a good relay with main power straight off the battery and switching is through the handlebar control. I may go back and put in 35w bulbs, though, just to be on the safe side. They don’t do much anyway. They’ll light up the back of a car from 50yds beautifully but there’s very little peripheral light. Really pretty light, though.

I just need to tidy up those wires and we’re all good. The next thing then is to get rear brakes working better and then I’ll be adding this

That’s an old school shotgun carbon fiber can. Very nice. Ought to sound sweet. I’m also going to look for someone who can cut me a Decepticon logo to weld to the front bumper. That’ll tie it all together haha

Old 05-21-2011, 01:30 AM   #2

Dig that slip-on! Where did you find it?

Love the Decepticon idea. 8)

Kind of hard to see the rear view; do you have shots of the swingarm area?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-21-2011, 09:18 AM   #3

I had acquired a shotgun exhaust for my TL1000S some years back...this muffler was a left of that.

I meant to get a few pictures of the swingarm. I'll try and get them later today.