Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2011, 09:23 AM   #1

Bought used 200cc no-name atv...needs work...suggestions?

Hi ya folks!

So here's the deal, I just bought a no-name 200cc quad from a guy for considerably under $500, and I'm overall happy with it as my first atv, and of course, a project in the making.

Of course for such a steal, there's also some issues with it. I'm just praying the guy told me the truth when he sold it to me, and everything seems to pan out. It's got no name on it, and the only lettering thus far I've found on it, is that the carb is by "Taotao", as I've seen on several of these chinese quads. My quad looks nearly identical to this one on the front end: http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/prod...ports_ATV.html It has the same headlight construction and everything.

When I bought it, it didn't run. I know, I know...never buy anything unless you hear it run and operate first. But like I said, for the price even if it was a piece of junk and didn't run, I could part it out and make back twice my money; it has new tires, battery, piston/rings, chain, stator, plug, plug wire, rear brakes, etc. The main issue with this quad, as told to me by the guy I bought it from, is the CDI. According to the story, he was riding it and something flew up and cracked his CDI box (and it was definitely cracked when he showed it to me), and it was also in water, so it fried the CDI, thusly not allowing it to start.

The quad has compression and will turn over, and is getting fuel through the carb, so I konw those things shouldn't be an issue. The crappiest part of the whole thing really, is it has an automatic 4/5 speed tranny (w/ reverse). I would have hoped for a 5 speed foot shifting clutchless manual, but oh well...it's my first quad.

So here's the thing, I have a performance CDI ordered (only $18.55), and I have a few questions about that first off.

Does anyone have any preference as to a stock CDI or a performance one? I know with my S10 truck, many folks like putting the hotter burning plugs in them, so they're more peppy, but I won't do so because of the risks involved with the engine wear and soforth. Is it the same way with these quads, or not at all the same due to the CDI being ingnition-related? Does anyone that has used a performance CDI notice any significant difference?

Anyways, while I wait for that part to come in, I'm also looking for other things I need to replace. Luckily, I found a ton of parts (little stuff) I need, for really cheap, but I'm waiting to get it all until I make sure this thing will run after the CDI is changed (why waste good money on stuff that won't help it get back on the road, if I can't get it running to start with?).

Next, I have some questions about the other parts I am going to order. My left handlebar controls and right controls are going to definitely need replacing...luckily, at $34.95 for the throttle/right brake lever control and $15 for the left choke/lights/starter button control, that won't be a big deal. My choke lever is completely broke off and the guy rigged up a wire that's tied to the handlebar's center and then to the carb, so I wanna change that, lol. My brake lever is completely broke off as well (and the rear brake is foot pedal only, as far as I can tell). My question here is this...on the right brake lever controls, there are several wires/cables going to it, and I'm not sure what one does. I know the two cables are for the front left and front right brakes, as I traced them to each wheel. There is a third cable running to the throttle control. Lastly, and most confusingly, there is this plastic-coated wire or wires that is connected to the control box. It appears to have been broken off, and I don't know what it goes to. I'll try to explain as best I can and will get pictures of it asap so as to show more detail. It has on the outer most end, which appears to be broken off, this white trigger-like button in the center of a black hard plastic coating, which is spring loaded inside. I don't know if this somehow works with the throttle, or braking system, or neither, and does something else. It's untelling at this point, and I've attempted to trace the wiring down under the body of the quad, but as far as I got was that it branches off in two directions, and goes one way to the ignition key switch, and the other branch leads to idk where.

Any ideas on that? I'm absolutely clueless and don't really want to screw something up trying to repair this without advice from you guys who probably know tons more than I do on the subject. Oh, also, on the throttle control...it looks like the cable to the throttle is hooked on internally...does this mean I'll have to replace the cable and throttle controls together, and cannot salvage my throttle cable that's still in good shape? My brake cables look fine, and the only other cable I'll be buying is the choke cable (as it has been long gone with the "mods" the previous owner did).

Thanks in advance for any/all advice you all have to offer! I'll eagerly await your responses! God Bless! :-)

Old 05-05-2011, 10:41 AM   #2

I haven't plugged my performance CDI in yet, but I intend to. I can't see that the plug would run any hotter, since the CDI just maps the ignition advance curve.

I'm sure we can guide you through the wiring issues, but pics would make that much easier. Yes, the throttle cable is removeable.

Is your machine air or liquid cooled?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #3

Re:

Thanks for the rapid response!

Mine is air cooled, it's probably one of the most basic designs of the sport quad out there.

I think I found something that would describe a bit better what I'm trying to figure out on the wiring...I have the link to the lever I'm going to buy to replace it...and as seen in the pictures, there are two wires coming forth from the lever, a green and black one...I think these are probably the wires I"m looking at that appear to have something broke off the end, as they're the only wires connected to it...

http://www.motopartsmax.com/index.ph...roducts_id/950

Hope that helps you, help me :-)

Old 05-05-2011, 09:40 PM   #4

You mean this one? If so, it's a brake switch that will also allow the electric start to operate when the brake is applied.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-05-2011, 11:44 PM   #5

RE:

Ahhhh, I gotcha, well that sounds like it's gonna be something I'll have to replace, considering my whole right lever controls is pretty much shot and I was going to replace it. Question is...is it as easy as a plug n' play quick connect type of deal, or am I going to have to do some soldering or something of that nature? Here's some pics of my actual unit I took tonight...

Here's one of that plug that must be the brake sensing thing that you mentioned, which is probably (along with the bad CDI) the reason i can't get my quad started:

Closeup on the end:

Another:

And last but not least...a few pics of my quad in its entirety :-)

[/img]

Old 05-05-2011, 11:59 PM   #6

That throttle / brake assembly is messed. The plastic bit at the end of the wire is definitely the switch (it's not really any kind of sensor, just a rudimentary switch). See the phillips head screw with the nut on it in this pic? That's a governor screw; toss it out.

Sorry to report that it's likely to be a 150, because that's what's known as a GY6 engine (feel free to Google GY6). They're excellent engines, and they have no clutch or gears. They have plenty of potential.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:04 AM   #7

Sorry, I failed to answer your question. Follow the wire that is hanging out, and it will eventually come to a connector (likely under the plastic bodywork). If the new lever assembly is exactly the same, the new wire will plug into that connector.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:24 AM   #8

RE:

Thanks so much for the advice WeldanGrind! I was actually fearful that it was only a 150cc from pictures I've found on the net, and I think the guy I bought it from either lied about it or didn't know himself (he claimed to have bought it new though, so I would find it hard to believe he didn't know). That's got me worried it won't haul me around halfway as decent as I thought it would, but oh well, I'm only $300 into it, so I figure i can fix it up a bit, ride it at least on the level ground, and sell and upgrade eventually...

Yeah, I totally didn't even notice that governor screw there, will the new throttle/brake assembly have that as well you think, and should I remove it on that too?

I'm going to look in the parts section of the site I'm going to be buying the parts from for 150cc atv parts, instead of 200cc...I'm sure being that this is no doubt that engine, the parts should fit easily enough.

Oh and by the way, got one more question for ya...Have you seen or heard any about the BMS/CMS 400cc 4x4 utility quads that are selling on several different sites? I'm wondering what the quality is on them, as they're exactly what style and size I'd be looking for in primarily a Honda (like a rancher or foreman), if I could afford one of those. The only thing I've seen I'm not crazy about is the ES, I'd rather have the good ol' fashioned foot lever clutchless 5 speed myself, but being that it's a chinese, maybe the ES is a better route...idk? What do you think? Have you heard anything about those?

Here's some links to the quads I'm talking about...

http://www.yidio.com/cms-400cc-utili.../id/2332210723

http://www.atv-quads-4wheeler.com/bms-atv400b-2011.html

Old 05-06-2011, 12:31 AM   #9

engine size

look on the cylinder head.. the black part.. you should maybe see an number cast into the head.. it will tell you the size..

Old 05-06-2011, 12:51 AM   #10

We have one very similar in the garage, and it responded well to air filter, exhaust and jetting upgrades (all easy). It'll haul you around no problem.

The new throttle might come with a gov screw, and I'd toss it out.

I think those quads are really cool; I once met a couple of guys on the trail, and one had a Yamaha Bruin 400, and the other had a Baja 400. They were identical in every way with two minor exceptions. The Baja had four headlights vs. two, and the Yamaha had a sensor on the left side that might have been a low oil sensor. The Baja had the milled area for it, but it wasn't tapped.

That Honda clone looks really good, but I'm nervous about liquid cooling and electric gear shifting in China stuff. I figure the simpler, the better. Once you're done with this 150, find a 200cc air cooled atv (I have one of those as well), and you'll enjoy it.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:54 AM   #11

That's a good point, I hadn't thought about all the technicalities to the bigger chinese quads, and they probably wouldn't hold together as well as the simpler ones.

Is there anything bigger than a 200cc in a chinese quad that you think would be trustworthy enough? I'm a pretty big ol' boy, and sad to say, I'm not sure this 150cc or even the 200cc would hold me that well going up into the mountains (that's why I was also looking at 4x4). I'm 6'4 1/2" and around 280 lbs. The guy that had this quad before me was similar in weight, just not as tall, and he said he never had a problem riding it...of course, I didn't see it running with him or me riding it as proof, so I really don't know.

I know I'll probably end up going with a utility style, that's what I really want anyways, but for the money I couldn't do any better than I already did I don't think, and as they say, beggars can't be choosers :-) But here in the hills of eastern kentucky, we're all about riding on the strip mining jobs, the gas well roads up in the hills, and the old dirt roads that have been washed out by the rain and are left with some pretty decent sized potholes. I definitely want to upgrade to a 5 speed manual, clutchless. going down some of those hills is nearly impossible to do with just your brakes, it's a must to have gears to hold a person back in order to keep from plowing into the cliffside or over the mountain...weeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

Old 05-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #12

Oh and by the way, on the mods you mentioned...

Air filter was something I wanted to change, I noticed there's a slew of different "K&N" style filters available, but mine has that 150cc air filter box...do I just remove the box and the hose hooked to it, and hook on the K&N style in it's place, and if I do, which one do I get? They've got 5 sizes that I noticed: 35mm, 39mm, 42mm, 43mm, and 44mm.

As far as jetting, I'm at a total loss how that works 8O Carbs intimidate me; I always did fairly well tinkering with small engine repair on our B&S push mowers and weed eaters, but this is a whole different ballpark for me.

Also, another question. Everywhere I looked online the prices are ungodly high on replacement engines and transmissions for the chinese quads, is there any good place to find cheap replacements? I was really hoping to find a 250cc with a 4 or 5 speed foot shifting manual, and there's literally no one in kentucky who sells anything for these quads...they either have their Hondas, Yamahas, or an occasional kawasaki or suzuki. If I'd have to spend $600+ for a new engine and transmission, I'd just go ahead and sell my mean green machine after I get it running and upgrade all-together to something bigger. I know it's not recommended anyways to upgrade and still have the smaller brakes, suspension, and other components, but I figured no more than what I do with one and not pushing for top-end speed, just enough torque and power to allow me to climb steeps, it should be ok.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #13

Member TurboT is North of 6'6", and my guess is that he outweighs you as well; he has a great time on his 200cc China quad, and it goes everywhere he points it.

You're best advised to not upgrade your existing machine to a bigger engine; it's far cheaper to buy a complete 200 atv as is. With our help, you'll slowly morph this 150 into a strong runner. Enjoy it for awhile and then upgrade to a 200. The only caveat is that the 200 five speed has a clutch, but it's very reliable (and cheap to repair).

We can guide you on air filter selection, but you'd need to remove the airbox and measure the OD of the carb inlet. Also, a Uni pod style foam filter is much better in dusty conditions.

These carbs have all the technology of an anvil. One pilot jet for idle, then the main jet for higher RPM. There is also a clip adjustment that will adjust the air / fuel ratio, an idle acrew and an air / fuel screw. We can guide you through all of that, and two new jets will likely set you back about $10.00.

200cc is as large as I would buy in the China world at this time. I like simple reliability.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #14

You're going to be a life-saver to me and my mean green machine WeldanGrind, lol. Thanks so much for your knowledge bro!

That's good news that I'm hopefully not too big for this thing, it sure does hold me better than even the Kawasaki Bayou 220 I looked at before buying this unit. I'm sure you're right about not going bigger than 200cc, I definitely don't want to be buying parts every 2 weeks or so to be a quad running, but shoot, you just can't really beat these atv's for the money I wouldn't think, as long as you do your research. Here's a list of what all I've designed to order for it right off hand:

-Choke cable
-throttle cable
-left lever assembly (choke, lights, starter button)
-right lever assembly (front brakes handle, throttle lever)
-two new headlight bulbs
-air filter
-new key switch (only had one key and want to buy new switch that comes with 2, unless I find a place that has the short little keys and can cut them to match locally)
-Performance CDI (already ordered)

And possibly something else I'm forgetting, but TOTAL cost from motopartsmax.com, tax and shipping included? Approximately $115...that to me, is well worth it! I'll be about $415 into this quad and it should be running like a top...as long as there's nothing majorly wrong with the unit that I haven't found out yet...but it does have good compression and it cranks fine, it just gets no fire, and I think that's due to one or two things I'll be fixing...the CDI, and that killswitch setup on the front brakes. I'm hope the CDI along with some tinkering on the old brake lever will get it running, then I'll be ordering the other parts and hopefully get them next week.

I should have the CDI by tomorrow Lordwilling, and I'm gonna put it on and give it a go then.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #15

That sounds like a price I could live with.

BTW, either brake switch should allow the engine to start, so they might both be faulty. Your new assemblies will address that.

You might choose to buy a new carb if you can't get this one to respond properly, but even those are cheap as chips.

Also, you're welcome. Happy to help.