Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #16

I changed the fuel lines, and it did not make a difference.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #17

Read this carefully. What you need to know is in this article.

http://www.dansmc.com/carbs.htm

Old 04-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #18

Yea, I will clean it out.

The problem I'm having is the fact that the carb is leaking from where it accepts fuel instead of the overflow tube.

The gas gets inside the carb, but leaks out the entrance of the carb. If it was over flowing, it should of leaked out of the overflow...

Old 04-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #19

The float valve came out with the float. It's attached to the tang of the float with a small clip. You can sorta see it here:

If you replaced the fuel line and it still leaks, my guess is that the casting is no good. A new carb is a cheap and easy fix.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #20

Problem was fixed.... :oops:

Now, this might sound dumb, but the problem was that the fuel was coming out of the hose since it was not tight enough. I had to get a clamp, and now it is fixed.

All that for nothing. :roll: At least I learned something about carb's, I spent at least one hour researching on the internet. Now the whole carb is clean, including the jets...

How often do you guys clean your carbs. The atv is running perfectly with the new performance exhaust I installed. I'll post pics later on the day including a pic of my gel battery...

Old 04-23-2011, 07:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by yozalo
How often do you guys clean your carbs.
If you use a good quality fuel filter then they really only need cleaning after sitting for long periods of time, that's when they gunk up and cause problems, i've heard of tons of guys blowing up their snowmobile first ride of the year because they didn't clean their carbs, once the main jet gets partially plugged then they run too lean and meltdown.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #22

Oh... 8O

Does starter fluid work to clean out the carb? The problem I'm having right now is that the atv runs, but when going at high speeds and letting go of the throttle, the atv shuts down. Should I play with the idle or fuel mixture screw....

Old 04-23-2011, 11:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Oh... 8O

Does starter fluid work to clean out the carb? The problem I'm having right now is that the atv runs, but when going at high speeds and letting go of the throttle, the atv shuts down. Should I play with the idle or fuel mixture screw....
I usually use carb cleaner for doing my carbs, any time your at higher throttle and let off quickly it creates a lean condition for a moment, maybe your just a tad lean and letting off quickly it making it too lean, i would try lowering the clip on the jet needle 1 groove ( richer ) and see if that helps.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:31 PM   #24

If you ride the bike all year and/or use Stabil or similar it's usually never necessary to clean the carb.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:09 AM   #25

I usually store it in the winter in the basement, but this year, it was outside the house with a cover on it.

Anyways, quick question, how do you remove the throttle cable assembly from the carb. I was trying to remove it earlier but it was not coming off. I held down the spring with my fingers, and was trying to get that damn wire to come off but no luck... :roll:

Not really sure how I got it off last time.. :wink:

Old 04-24-2011, 08:49 PM   #26

Another problem here. I was taking my atv for a ride, then the atv suddenly shut down, and would not start back up again, I had to push it back home.

Everything was running fine before, but the carb was running a bit lean since I changed the exhaust to the performance one offered by giovanni. I sense something bad....

Old 04-24-2011, 09:15 PM   #27

i use brake cleaner or carb cleaner, i remove the jets and blast the bowl allowing the cleaner and gunk to pour out while im blasting it. then the heavier stuff i clean up with the cleaner and paper towels. the jets i make sure are clean by blasting them with the cleaner but make sure you have a firm grip on them.. then do the same thing as the bowl for the bottem of the carb.. you want it nice and shiney clean...

also remove the top cap of the carb where the throttle cable goes.. the slide and needle will pull out with it.. make sure the needle is clean and no gunk built up on it.. make sure you put the slide back in correctly you have to line up the little nubs you see in the neck of the carb where the slide goes.. match those with the grooves in the side of the slide..

Old 04-24-2011, 10:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Another problem here. I was taking my atv for a ride, then the atv suddenly shut down, and would not start back up again, I had to push it back home.

Everything was running fine before, but the carb was running a bit lean since I changed the exhaust to the performance one offered by giovanni. I sense something bad....
Well.... #1 make sure there is still gas left in the tank, #2 make sure the fuel shut off is on ( if you have one ), #3 check spark plug for foriegn aluminum pcs melted on it ( that's a bad sign), #4 check spark, #5 check compression.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:16 PM   #29

Thanks for the help waynev. The atv was fixed, as the carb was running lean. I put it down a notch, and is now on the second lowest one. It was previously on the third notch...

It's raining today, lets see how the weather turns out later on the day.....

I will change out the spark plug, it was pitch black, with the tip being blistered...

Isn't black a sign of the carb being too rich?

Old 04-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #30

i cant remember off hand but i belive that does mean a rich setting.. but with these kinds of motors, it is always good to air on the side of safety and run it a tad rich.. not rich enough to cause problems, but rich enough that you know its not going to lean out on you