View Single Post
Old 06-06-2017, 12:13 AM   #15

Got the parts. 67mm piston/rings kit + gasket set + exhaust crush gasket. Happy to report the 67mm piston fits perfectly and the included piston rings come gapped perfectly too. And the gasket set has all the ones I need. Score!

So I got all the mating surfaces cleaned, degreased and ready to go. Then indexed all my piston rings and put the piston on the rod. Next I lowered the cylinder (honed and cleaned) over the piston and into position. Had to lift cylinder back off to get one of the cam followers into proper position... but easy enough. Then came the head and torqued it all down. Put in the push rods and valve assembly next. Set valve clearances once again (.002" in, .003" ex) and buttoned up the valve cover. Rocked the engine back into position and reattached all the mounts. I replaced the stator side cover gasket (was torn)... and greased up all the starter gears... and buttoned that side cover back on. Carb/intake were next. Exhaust header w/ new crush gasket was after that. Lastly I re-attached all the cooling system hoses and topped off the radiator with new coolant. Then it was time.

I hooked up the battery and primed the carb with my spray bottle of premix. And it fired to life! That was the first time I ever heard it run! Now it was time to put the gas tank back on. Cleaned out the tank... tested the petcock and reinstalled with a new fuel line. One more carb priming and it started and ran! Sa-weet!

Played with the carb idle air mix screw and got it set. Feels like the pilot jet and screw are set pretty well on the bottom end so far. Next up was to see if the clutch worked and any of the gears worked. Happy to report clutch is fine and reverse plus 4 forward gears are all working properly!

Rode the "Monster" around the yard without a seat... haha. Fun little rig. I gave the engine 3 good heat/cool-down cycles... and kept the RPMs varied. Feels good... very good engine braking going down a hill. Does feel like I'm too lean up higher in the RPMs. Will have to dial that in once I get it all back together.

Next up is pulling the wheels off and servicing the brakes. Then time for bodywork and reassembly.

Cheers!
'07 Kinroad XT200GY Runmaster (sold)
'07 KMD GY6 150cc ATV (sold)
'07 Kangchao 250cc ATV Monster (sold)
Baja Moto DB-30 "Doodlebugs"(x3) (sold)
'06 Hi-Bird 200 parts bike (sold)