View Single Post
Old 08-10-2020, 10:17 PM   #10

Next update...

Mod #12 - VM22 Mikuni (knock-off) carb installed. I'm using the stock intake and stock carb spacer with the vm22. I tapered the plastic spacer to smooth the transition from the larger diameter carb. I like the carb facing the same direction as stock so the enricher ("choke") lever is on the easy to reach left side.

Took me a few rounds of tuning to dial in the carb. Both stock jets in the vm22 were unmarked... but I was able to determine the main jet was a #95 like others have mentioned. I drilled out the main jet to ~#98... copying MotoCheez's mods. I left the pilot jet stock. I had to adjust the throttle needle a few times, but finally got low-mid range throttle good. I was unable to rev-out on the top-end with only the #98 main. So drilled it to #100. Now it's running great. Starts easy, idles fine, restarts quickly, and no bogging or hesitation in any part of the throttle range. Reaches max rpm and I even have a slightly higher top speed... 55mph indicated with my 210# self tucked.

So final carb tuning (stock intake, pod air filter, stock exhaust):

main = #100
pilot = stock
A/F screw = 1 turn out
needle = top notch (lowest needle setting) with washer

Very happy with the bike overall. Love this little moto.

I put the tank plastics back on... but didn't like how they felt between my knees when I'm squeezing the tank. So I took the tank plastics back off. I really dig the Mad-Max look.

Not sure what if any will be the next mods. Think I'm just going to enjoy this moto for the rest of the season. And watch and see how the advanced mods work-out for everyone else.

Cheers!
'07 Kinroad XT200GY Runmaster (sold)
'07 KMD GY6 150cc ATV (sold)
'07 Kangchao 250cc ATV Monster (sold)
Baja Moto DB-30 "Doodlebugs"(x3) (sold)
'06 Hi-Bird 200 parts bike (sold)