ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Swing arm joint free play (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=4860)

Dragon 02-08-2009 04:04 PM

Swing arm joint free play

The joint on the swing arm moves up/down and left/right, besides rotating. The freeplay isn't much; but it's definitely noticeable. Is this something I need to worry about? I ride it on the freeway almost everyday; so I'd like to know if the wheel is about to fall off! :lol:

liverchip 02-08-2009 04:08 PM

Check the bushings as well as the swingarm pivot points on the frame.

TeamCheap 02-08-2009 04:41 PM

A close thorough inspection will tell you if the wheel is ready to drop off.

I'd look into it to make sure it is all right before hitting the road.

I wonder what would happen first if it came apart........well I suppose it would first get a bit wobbly like a flat tire maybe or just dog track a bit.

Dragon 02-08-2009 09:26 PM

The pivot bolt was loose. I tightened it, but there's still some freeplay. I guess that means the bushing is worn-out. Where do I find a new bushing?

czowner 02-10-2009 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon
The pivot bolt was loose. I tightened it, but there's still some freeplay. I guess that means the bushing is worn-out. Where do I find a new bushing?

I found some "top hat" bronze bushes at my local bearing supplier. The bushes are not an "off the shelf" size I had to buy larger ones and have them machined down, and a new sleeve made for the middle. While it was all in bits I put some bronze bushes and grease nipples in the shock linkage as well.

Jonathan.

Lucien 08-31-2014 09:55 PM

Thanks for the info!!!

culcune 08-31-2014 10:31 PM

Where in Baja are you? I am seriously thinking of riding to Ensenada in November to watch the start of the Baja 1000. Also, next March for the start of the 250 in San Felipe.

Lucien 09-01-2014 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by culcune (Post 171897)
Where in Baja are you? I am seriously thinking of riding to Ensenada in November to watch the start of the Baja 1000. Also, next March for the start of the 250 in San Felipe.

I live in Tijuana, culcune let me know, maybe we can work something out!!

culcune 09-01-2014 06:59 PM

Do you ever ride east, maybe to Mexicali? I would like to try a ride there one of these Saturdays. Algondones and San Luis are right next door to me if you ever get out this way, too. Tijuana sounds like it would be a weekend ride for me, but that crossing seems like it would be a monster--maybe cross at Tecate or even Algodones coming home. I guess I have hijacked this thread long enough--PM me!

Before I go, is anyone else up to try to watch the start of the Baja 1000 this November, or even the Baja 250? We can ride from Yuma or I could meet up with you between Yuma and there...

Lucien 09-03-2014 09:28 AM

Here in TJ, if you ride, if your bike is not too bulky, you slice lanes at the border...