Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2010, 03:31 PM   #1

Olympic Discussion

Well I don't think we've had any here yet, so I'll start off...

K2 sports made a special limited edition Vancouver 2010 Snowboard for Olympic merchandise. When I say limited edition I don't mean theres only a few, I mean it's just the same as the rest of the Olympic merchandise. They call it limited edition though so that's why I did. Currently, you can buy the board from Sport Chek for $230. This ebayer has theirs currently up to $430 plus shipping. It is available on the sport chek website, you don't even have to go into the store.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1182

How are people so stupid? I'd feel bad charging someone double something is worth for no reason. Then again they sort of deserve it for not doing their research. On the ebayers behalf, I did email them and point out that it isn't limited to 8, and not worth $1100, that's why they added the second part to the ad that stated the contest said there was 8 made and it was worth $1100. So they maybe got mislead by the contest, and are now just trying not to lose out too much. Still though. At $430 the reserve is not met, so this ebayer may not ever be able to get rid of it. If I was him I'd drop the reserve asap and just try to sell the darn thing.

I was thinking it may be a worthwhile venture to purchase one from the store and have the Olympic snowboarders autograph it, then it might be worth something to a collector. But there's a big chance of not being able to sell it too.

Anyways, any other olympic discussions could go on here too, I just have been watching this snowboard on ebay to see what it goes for. I think it is ridiculous.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:11 AM   #2

Another item I've been looking at, I like wearing toques... http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-OFFICIAL-VA...#ht_515wt_1165

Except there's no chance I'd ever pay any price like that, it's crazy. I like the toque, but I don't think the fact that it's from the olympics means it is worth more.

I also still think it's ridiculous to call Olympic athletes heroes, but I brought that up somewhere else here I think. Police, Firefighters, Paramedics, they're heroes. Athletes are entertainers. Not to put them down, a lot of them did really well there and worked hard to get there.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Another item I've been looking at, I like wearing toques... http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-OFFICIAL-VA...#ht_515wt_1165

Except there's no chance I'd ever pay any price like that, it's crazy. I like the toque, but I don't think the fact that it's from the olympics means it is worth more.

I also still think it's ridiculous to call Olympic athletes heroes, but I brought that up somewhere else here I think. Police, Firefighters, Paramedics, they're heroes. Athletes are entertainers. Not to put them down, a lot of them did really well there and worked hard to get there.
Wow! $103 for a toque and still 4 days left? 8O I have one I got for free from work as a safety award thing, bet it keeps my ears just as warm!

Old 03-03-2010, 07:40 AM   #4

I would pay about $10. That's it.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #5

Yeah I hear they're supposed to be around $15 at the store (Canadian), so yeah that price sounds right, those guys on eBay are nuts.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim

I also still think it's ridiculous to call Olympic athletes heroes, but I brought that up somewhere else here I think. Police, Firefighters, Paramedics, they're heroes. Athletes are entertainers.
Cops, firefighters, and paramedics are just doing a job, no different than you, and I when we go to work.
These guys are no heroes, they're public servants. Let's not confuse the fact that they chose these good paying jobs for the same reason we chose what we do. I have friends that are firefighters, and have had some of this training myself (I'm on a rescue team). They'll be the first to tell you. They chose the job for the excellent pay, awesome work hours, and actually work very little.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:12 AM   #7

My olympic comment:

While there remains:
1 homeless Canadian (who does not choose to be homeless)
1 Canadian (adult, or child) who goes to bed hungry
1 Canadian who has to wait longer than 1 week for medical treatment

I resent my tax money being spent on "foolishness" (show and tell).

Old 03-03-2010, 09:23 AM   #8

@Reveen, I agree.

@suprf1y, they are doing they're job yes, but their job is saving lives and protecting people.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:06 AM   #9

[quote="suprf1y"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Cops, firefighters, and paramedics are just doing a job, no different than you, and I when we go to work.These guys are no heroes, they're public servants. IO

I agree. If a copy/firefighter/soldier saves a life/lives he's a hero. He is not a hero simply by the virtue of his job. Unfortunately the hero status has been watered down in recent years.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 03-04-2010, 02:00 AM   #10

To me a hero saves a life or makes one better, If You do not fall into that section You are simply doing what You do :wink:

Old 03-04-2010, 10:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ200cc
To me a hero saves a life or makes one better, If You do not fall into that section You are simply doing what You do :wink:
I agree, AZ.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-05-2010, 12:04 AM   #12

I would add that it has to be a selfless act. I 'save' lives every day, but I'm not a hero, just a humble servant.