Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2022, 09:51 PM   #1

20 TBR7 Maintenance

Today I did the following:
1.) replaced the stock air filter with a Briggs and Stratton one from O'Reillys auto parts.
Reason- I found a mouse nest and they had chewed the old filter. Another surprise after cleaning that mess out was finding oil in the air box. I had to replace the tubing from the pvc valve coming from the engine crank case to the air filter. I ordered an auto pvc valve since the Tao Tao one had a weird filter and is obviously not working with the amount of oil in the air box.

2.) Replaced stock carb with mikuni clone.
Reason- I was sick of running the bike with half choke to get it to run right. I took the tank off and it made it easier to perform. Also had to remove the carb tonget at the pvc. Pay attention for how the needle valve assembly comes out. I did it wrong multiple times with the original one and when adjustment of the throttle cable didn't help. I took the original assembly off and installed the new one. Once installed correctly, throttle cable was adjusted successfully and it started right up with a quarter turn clockwise to set the idle correctly. This made a big difference in response and power. Should have done this sooner.... also, I didn't change the pilot jet or the main jet. I may rip out the stock air box for the carb air filter and it will fix 3 issues: 1.) mouse intrusion, 2.) oil in the air box, & 3.) hesitation at full throttle.

3.) Replaced spark plug with NGK DR8EA (Resistor type plug). I left original
Cap installed.

4.) Lubricated chain.

5.) wanted to do an oil change but will do tomorrow. Ran out of time.

Any surprises that you can share when doing maintenance?

Old 07-24-2022, 06:05 PM   #2

I read so many stock chains failing, horribly, I tried to post it on my web site: TBR7 Stock Chain Issues to get the info out.

Testing a YouTube Channel

Old 07-24-2022, 08:47 PM   #3

Hello that air filter will not work to thin. you'll be sorry.