Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2018, 12:01 PM   #1

First long ride on Hawk

Well, 70km that is, up to 420km on the odometer now. Ran good, clutch getting better, will hold at a stop without wanting to kill engine. Kept the rpms around 4000-5000 mostly 4th gear stuff at @ 40mph. Noticed an internal rattle from upper engine at 5500-6500 rpms when accelerating, maybe valves too tight? What would that sound like? Checked all engine/exhaust/body mounts, still tight. I'll check the valves tomorrow and let you know. Thanks.

I changed the oil at 300km, looked good (dark brown with light golden haze to it). Added dino T-4 Rotella back in it, until broke in then going with the T-6 synthetic.

Kirk

Old 10-13-2018, 12:09 PM   #2

Don't own a HAWK and can't remember the design on it, but some have noticed a "rattle" coming from the gas tank filler/key cap, said it sounded like it came from the engine area while riding but it was the filler cap, if your HAWK has a "cap" that goes over the key, it might be another good place to check

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:13 PM   #3

Yeah Az, I know that rattle, tried to fix but it still comes back.

I rechecked the valve clearance, it might have been a little loose, but nothing drastic. Reset IN to 0.05mm and EX to 0.08mm. It's not as pronounced and I had my 100lbs daughter on the back for a little more load. Next oil change when I check the valves, I'll set both at 0.05mm like the manual calls for and see if I get it then. Really, I think it is just the "rattle" of the machine at upper rpms. Does anyone else notice such a thing? Not worried about it, the bike ran flawless this morning on my backroad trip. Valves are getting plenty of oil up there and it looked good, too.

Kirk
ps. with 325lbs on the bike, the aftermarket shock will bottom out on big bumps (rear wheel hit air filter box).

Old 10-13-2018, 05:30 PM   #4

Probably not your rattle but mine was my key chain bouncing sound. If you have not adjusted the valves it makes a nice diff for the better.