Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #1

Help help help...

I'm working on a Lifan 110cc 4-wheeler for a friend...his clutch started slipping so we pulled the cover and got a new clutch in...how the thing operates is a baffle to me. Maybe if I knew how it was suppose to work I could sort this out...but anyway.

New stuff goes back together...before there was very little power goign to the wheels. Now there's no engagement at all.

What I would really like is a manual. This thing doesn't have a model number anywhere on it except to say it's 110cc, and the engine is Lifan. It looks just like this, if it helps:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/dirtrider76/SE_...JPG?imgmax=800

If anyone knows where I could source an exploded view of teh clutch assembly, I would be most grateful.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #2

Could the clutch cable be too tight preventing the clutch from fully engaging? There shold be 2-3mm of play at the lever.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:53 PM   #3

oops left out important bits. Automatic clutch.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:57 PM   #4

I believe that this model has an automatic clutch, and the lever at the left handgrip operates the rear brake.

I wonder if this quad has an adjuster in the center of the engine cover like my daughter's old 50cc had. It seems to me that you had to loosen the jam nut, adjust the center stud and then tighten the jam nut again.

Sorry that I'm not much help; I can't remember how the actual adjustment was accomplished. Hopefully this will get you on the right track.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-12-2010, 10:05 PM   #5

Did the clutch look like this? http://www.giobikes.com/Engine-Parts...ch-50cc-110cc/

If so was it in oil or was it dry?

If the clutch did look like that then it is a centrifugal clutch, when the RPM goes up the shoes are forced out which locks it up, for some reason maybe the shoes are not locking up.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:16 PM   #6

This video may help.

The adjust may be under a plastic cover too.

Does the ATV have gears or is it full auto?

Old 01-12-2010, 10:19 PM   #7

It's wet automatic clutch...it's a Honda Trail 70 clone engine. I suppose I could just look up a manual for the trail 70....

Old 01-12-2010, 10:23 PM   #8

I think the video I posted will help. The same person has alot of video related to the horizontal honda engine.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:37 PM   #9

What kind of oil are you using in it ? If the oil you are using is not designed for a wet clutch then that might explain why the shoes won't engage.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:01 PM   #10

I'm a mechanic...of sorts... ...I'm familiar with wet/dry clutches and their requirements. It's been a long time since my studies started an I spent no time on auto/centri clutches.

Thanks katoranger...I'll check the vid out when I get sound capabilities.

The biggest thing I'm concerned with is that I reassembled the clutch basket properly...which, according to the CT schematic on bikebandit.com I did...but there's a gadget that goes between the basket and the tension adjuster (the bolt/nut outside the case) and it has a fork on it...like it's suppose to be actuating something...but there's nothing to "actuate". It seems to just be there. My work area got torn apart by some stray weather, though, and I'm afraid I may have lost a part (it's not likely at all, but I'm open minded/paranoid enough to accept the possibility).

Old 01-13-2010, 07:43 AM   #11

It sounds like you understand the concept. You may be correct and a part went missing.

The video just shows how to adjust the clutch using the lock nut on the outside and turning the adjuster.

It has been along time since I've had one apart, but it does sound like something may be missing.

Allen

Old 01-13-2010, 07:13 PM   #12

Thanks again for the vid...that's essentially how I thought it should work.

I'm thinking I have all my parts, though. It's got a fork in it that's suppose to actuate a shifter mechanism...and there's a hole into the block where the shift rod would normally go...but there's nothing in there to operate...just goes straight through to where a shifter would be on a manual shift bike. This bike only has one gear, I assume.

So....it's just a matter of getting the clutch to grab.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #13

Well I got it put all back together...still does not grab. Just revs away. There's only like 1 turn of adjustment, too...so I think I need to disassemble, again, and see what's screwy.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:54 PM   #14

Amateur mistake. There's a splined slipper gear at the base of the clutch pack that engages the pack to the drive assembly. The gear is bare on one end, splined on the other...I had it in backwards.

I just hate having to go back THAT far just to sort out a silly mistake.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:59 PM   #15

At least nothing is broken. Does it work properly now?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer