Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2018, 09:44 AM   #1

Weekend Hawk Adventure

Last Friday I went to ride and noticed my Burrito tube hanging. One of the metal mounts the tube was attached had broke off due to metal fatigue and fell against the tire and just about melted the whole bracket off. Now I have to figure out how to remount it or just get a new tube and weld on another mount. Another project for another day. I went ride. lol.

Sunday we had a family fun day at the Spillway. Well almost fun Adventure. I got up Sunday morning to load up everything on the trailer. I pulled the Hawk out the shed and swapped out to the 15 tooth sprocket. Wow, this is the 1st time I tried the 15 tooth since I ported and decked the head and the new carb. Talk about a torque monster. I can pull wheelies just by giving a little throttle. I love it.

Well we get out to the Spillway about 10:30 am and unloaded everything. Mounted the camera to the helmet as I was planning to shoot some videos. I took off heading to the trails. Got about 1/10 mile down the trail doing my Normal WOT riding lol. All of a sudden the engine just killed. First thing comes to mind is I hit the kill switch by accident as the trails were pretty rough. Nope, switch is on. Fuel? Nope, Fuel is on and flows free from drain tube. Tried to crank some more and definitely no fire. My thought were either CDI or the new coil had just fried. With all my tools in the truck I had to push the it back to the truck. Mine you it's 90 + degrees, no wind and not a cloud in site. I pushed it about halfway and finally my wife and daughter came back with a tow strap to pull it the rest of the way.

I get it back to the truck and pull the coil and plug and confirmed no spark. Tried another plug and no spark. I checked all the connections, Disabled the kill switch just in case and still no spark. I pretty much gave up on it and loaded on the trailer and we ended up riding the UTV. The one time we didn't bring the ATV so we just took turns riding. We still made a day of it and had fun. It had clouded up and the cool breeze made it much more enjoyable.

My daughter and I had a blast in the sand cutting doughnuts. It was all fun until I got it up on two wheels and scared the crap of my daughter. She was like Dad, You almost flipped and killed us. lol No it wasn't that bad. I had it under control . Then explained to her that's why you must wear the harness and helmet at all times.

About 4pm my wife and daughter were out making a round. I was laying back in my lounge chair enjoying the breeze and was looking over at the Hawk think WTF is wrong with it. I decide i'll give another look at. I pulled the side cover were the battery is and started looking at the connections. I noticed that the connector the goes to the CDI and coil didn't look right. I pulled it apart and put back together. Damn thing started right up. All this time that was the problem. I fire that sucker up and gave her hell. That will teach her not to deprive me of my fun.

Needless to say I made up for the lost ride time. Most fun I had for just an hours time of riding. Porting+ deck+ new carb= beast. I like to know how many time I said WOW! to myself.

There were quiet a few people out Sunday. There was a guy parked next to us that had two Kawasaki 125 dirt bikes. He kept looking over at the Hawk trying to figure it out I guess. When I did finally take it for a ride, as soon as I got back he came walk over and started asking the usual questions. What kind of is it? how much? where I get it? I let him take a little ride. He was like holy crap, this thing runs. I rode the Kawasaki. Not even close. lol I'll keep my Hawk. He told me he just bought the one I rode a few weeks ago and paid just over $3800. He wish he would of met me sooner because he would buy two Hawks in a heart beat. He told me somebody offered him $3000 for the older Kawasaki so he said he's going to take them up on the offer and get a Hawk. The guy is very mechanically incline so he will have no problem working on it and tuning it.

All in All it turned out for the good. I only shot one video riding with my daughter. I was soo excited about getting the bike running I forgot about the camera.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Last edited by JerryHawk250; 06-12-2018 at 04:27 PM.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:18 AM   #2

It's really hard to judge changes in power when you have the bike geared up so much for the road. It's a lot less subtle when you gear it back down again. I kind of had a feeling that was the case when you stated that it made a "small" difference, mostly up top" that the highway gearing was playing tricks with you.

Did that connector to the CDI lose the locking tab on it?
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-12-2018, 11:23 AM   #3

I've had days much like that! Twice at the dunes in Oregon, my quad wouldn't start and it turned out to be something stupid. Nevertheless, the remaining hour of riding was the best hour of the week.
Glad you got out to play for awhile. Did you share the forum name with the Kawasaki guy?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-12-2018, 11:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Glad you got out to play for awhile. Did you share the forum name with the Kawasaki guy?
You bet I did.
2004 Honda ST 1300
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 06-12-2018, 11:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Did that connector to the CDI lose the locking tab on it?
No but it wasn't pushed all the way in. I must of not pushed it in far enough when a greased the connectors. It took over 3200 miles before it finally back out far enough. lol
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 06-12-2018, 11:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
No but it wasn't pushed all the way in. I must of not pushed it in far enough when a greased the connectors. It took over 3200 miles before it finally back out far enough. lol
Well, at least it decided to do it in a situation where you had alternative means of transportation and not while going down the road in the middle of nowhere.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-12-2018, 03:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Well, at least it decided to do it in a situation where you had alternative means of transportation and not while going down the road in the middle of nowhere.
That's exactly why I need to put the burrito tool tube back on. I have that thing packed with tools, wire, zip ties and electrical tape. That's probably why it broke off in the first place. When I remove the air box I think I'm going to fab up a storage box in that place. I get out on some of the back roads going through the swamp and it may be hours before you might see anybody.
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 06-12-2018, 07:31 PM   #8

Mmmm burritos

The hanger ring on the stock burrito tube split when I tightened mine down with loctite, I even used the rubber washer. The cheapest plastic I have seen maybe, it's like play-doh but without the cool salty flavor. I shoved the factory tool kit into it and fab'd up some metal mesh hangers to hold a small zipper case for registration etc.. up into the seat/rack part of the frame. I named it the taco wallet to go along with it's equally delicious friend the burrito tube

A friend had the idea of using conduit to mold and then bolt on as a set of hangers for cargo. A pretty good solution for guys who don't have welding at their disposal?