Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2018, 10:40 AM   #1

Shimmy in my new front wheel

My bad for assuming a new wheel would be true. Been riding the bike as the shimmy is small but discernible at low speed. I am absolutely ignorant when it comes to spoked wheels.

Can I true the wheel on the bike? Do I have to remove the tire?

Just looking for the easiest/cheapest way to get the shimmy gone.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #2

You can true it up to an acceptable level with the tire still installed.

You won't likely get it perfect, but the back yard mechanic way to true up a dirt bike wheel is to get the wheel off the ground, take the brake caliper/pads off to reduce drag so you can spin the wheel, and tape/clamp a pencil to a fork. Doing it this way will at least allow you to get it as close to "perfect" as you need it to be for a dirt bike.

The ideal way is with the tire and tube removed on a balancing stand. This eliminates all variables that could throw off the actual visual reading on how true the wheel is. With the most hardcore of us wheel truing people using a dial gauge to get the lateral and radial runout within fractional measurements.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-11-2018, 07:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundhouse View Post
My bad for assuming a new wheel would be true. Been riding the bike as the shimmy is small but discernible at low speed. I am absolutely ignorant when it comes to spoked wheels.

It should have been true, within tolerances, from the factory. When you mounted the tire and tube you used some kind of talcum type dust on the tube. You lightly aired up the tube and then installed it into the tire that has already got one bead in the well of the wheel. After you aired it up, you looked closely to make sure that the tiny bead that you see right by the rim is equa-distant from the rim all the way around, both sides. Then remove the caliper and static balance the wheel. I've always used solder wire, wrapped around a spoke or two for balance weights....ARH

Old 06-11-2018, 08:01 PM   #4

I did not mount it. I had it done at a shop as I had no tools.

do y'all think it is worth a try to take the wheel off, break the bead all the way around and re-seat the tire on the rim?

You would think the wheel would be in spec but then who knows how it was treated on it's way from china then in the mail to get to me. I do need to balance the wheel although i get no bounce or shimmy once I get going faster than 20.

I assume riding it will cause heat build up in the tire as the shimmy is 1/8 to 3/16" side to side and can damage the tire. at the least wear it out.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:34 PM   #5

Sounds like what I had after I replaced my front rim. It ended up being my rear rim. The holes the studs go into for the sprocket on the rim. I’d definitely check and make sure that’s not the problem first. Why did you need a new front rim?

Old 06-11-2018, 08:50 PM   #6

Bent the old one. Luckily the back one is fine.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:08 PM   #7

Did you check it? Mine seemed fine also till i inspected it to late. It might have started off with a broke stud that eventually got worse and I needed a whole new rear rim. Probably could have saved some money if I would have checked it sooner. Same symptoms, bent my front rim, installed new rim had a small shimmy at low speeds that disappeared going past 2nd gear.
http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...Surging&page=2

Old 06-11-2018, 11:48 PM   #8

first off, did you actually spin the wheel while in the air and see if it was true or not? if not, then trying to correct with the spokes is something to try. Mine happens to have a bit of wobble right now. I just noticed it last week when I was riding at 55-58 mph. as I haven't been doing anything lately to think the spokes were the culprit, my first thought is to check my steering head. the primary reason that comes to mind is it's a common fix on my Concours 1000. Anyone offer an opinion on which is more likely the problem?

Old 06-12-2018, 03:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
It should have been true, within tolerances, from the factory.
Somebody should tell them that at the front wheel assembly line. My 2017 Hawk's original front wheel, and the subsequent replacement of it, were both pretty out of true, even by dirt bike standards. Rear wheel was dead on perfect.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Somebody should tell them that at the front wheel assembly line. My 2017 Hawk's original front wheel, and the subsequent replacement of it, were both pretty out of true, even by dirt bike standards. Rear wheel was dead on perfect.
maybe it was a Monday.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:06 AM   #11

Quote:
do y'all think it is worth a try to take the wheel off, break the bead all the way around and re-seat the tire on the rim?
Can't hurt. I have a bent tire on Lifanda that is tolerable because I played with remounting until I could deal with it. It's a new tire, so I've been to cheap to replace it. I think there's some Shinko 700's in my future.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-12-2018, 08:49 PM   #12

Thanks guys. I am going to lift up the front end and spin it. if it is the tire and the wheel appears straight I will break the bead all around and re-seat it. If it is the wheel I will try adjusting the spokes the best I can.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:30 PM   #13

Youtube

Quote:

Go online to youtube and look for wheel truing. You'll get the idea.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:39 AM   #14

I have merlin. looks complicated and I am not a smart man but I know what wheel shimmy is.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:12 AM   #15

Quote:
I have merlin. looks complicated and I am not a smart man but I know what wheel shimmy is.
Take the wheel to your local motorcycle shop and let them do it. It wont cost much.