Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #1

need help. picked up atv, dont no what it is or whats missin

i just picked up this chinese 125cc atv from my local craigslist for $40. no lies. it was a lady who said her husband was kicked out and she was selling everything of his. hey, his loss is my gain hopefully.

here is the run down real quick. i bought it as is. from what i can see myself. its 125cc semi auto i believe.
thumb lever throttle,
its missing the gas tank,
i believe fuel filter and fuel turn off switch i beleive.
its also missing the cable from the left side that goes with the rear brakes.
master cylinder and brake line n all rear brakes are there but i dont see a cable for that lever.
also i no its missing the spark plug and the key.
also missing the battery but i have a small 12 volt lawn mower battery i can rig up.

i can buy a spark plug and make shift a gas tank for now to see if it actually will run but what do i do about the ignition switch since i dont have the key ?

also i think that it also has a thumb lever choke cable on the left handle bar next to rear brake lever but that cable is not connected and it has a brand new carburetor that does not take a cable choke. its a push lever choke. i dont think this is much of an issue. but im no expert.

im sure i wiill have more questions as i go over it better but i just picked it up an hour ago and a buddy of mine told me about this forum.

also besides a spark plug and some gas, what else do i need to buy or do to see if this actually runs and is worth me putting some money into. ?

can anybody help me. here are some pics.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #2

Welcome!

Good score! I'd like to get my hands on that, even for parts. Why would the rear brake have a cable, if it's a disc brake?

You'll likely find a new tank on eBay; just search for generic terms, like "atv tank". You can also find an ignition switch that will likely plug right in to the original connector. That makes it a lot easier than trying to defeat the ignition.

Too bad it was out in the rain. I'd strip the motor from the frame, wire brush it and paint it with Rustoleum or Tremclad. I use the liquid and apply it with a disposable foam brush.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #3

ok thanks for the reply. i guess ill order a new ignition just to see if the atv actually works. i really didnt want to spend money without knowing if it works but i guessi have to.

also how do i actuall start this thing if it does run. i dont see a pull starter or a kick starter. so im guessing its only key start ? do i just install working battery and turn on the key and hit the red kill switch ? and thats all ?
im kinda new to atvs. especially these chinese ones.. lol thanks all the helo the better.

also any idea on brand ? and how to find parts easy ?

Old 01-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #4

eBay is your friend for parts, just watch the shipping charges. Once you have a switch and a battery in it you should be able to check it for spark and such. Is the spark plug missing? Double check that the threads in the head aren't damaged, always gives me the willy's when theres no plug in something...

As far as starting it, if you get it turning over (it is electric start) and it has spark and compression you can jury rig a fuel tank on it and see if it will start. I think yours is a 125. Looks like it might have a safety tether on the back as well? When you do go to start you have to choke it at the carb and hold one of the brakes on, they have safety switches on the brakes so it wont start if a brake isn't held. Also make sure the kill switch is in the on position. You will have to make sure a brake is held when your checking it for spark as well and that the tether is plugged into the back. Good luck with it!

Cheers,
Stew

Old 01-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #5

Good article here:

http://www.dansmc.com/troubleshooting2.htm

Old 01-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #6

o.k so i went outside this morning and took a good known 12 volt battery and i unhooked the ignition switch clip as i was told just to do that and the bike will start if everything works. so after unhooking the ignition i hooked up the good battery to the atv and tried to hit the start switch while and got noithing at all. i was gona try while holding the rear brakes but the lever is loose and not connected to anything. plus the 2 wires going to the rear brake lever are very rusty and most like not making any contact.

so what i did was leave the battery hooked up in the quad and then use another small peice of wire to run from the battery positive and tap the wire on the starter positive terminal and i still got nothing. but i also noticed the ground wire from the starter was also rusty and not making any contact.

so i was at a stand still not knowing if the starter is working or just not making any contact or if i was doing something wrong.

so i pulled off the starter and i had to take the stator cover off to unhook the chain from the starter and i noticed that the stator it self was all burnt up.

i will post up pics of the stator and the starter right now.

but how do i bench test the starter to make sure it works or not before i waste my money on buying a new stator ?

and even if the stator is bad, and the starter would be good should the motor still attemp to turn over when i give power from the battery directly to the starter positive terminal ?

this is a great site. thanks for all your help. here are some pics.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #7

also is it true that just unhooking the clip for the ignition switch would brake or make the the ground circuit that the key does when used ?

Old 01-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #8

Yikes! That stator has seen better days.

The ignition switch serves two purposes: it completes the positive circuit when on, and it connects the negative wire to the CDI when off. Simply unplugging an igntion switch won't allow either connection.

Time for some parts. Which country are you located in?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #9

To respond to your other question, you should be able to test the starter, despite the stator condition. With everything installed and connected, you should be able to apply 12 volts to the stator secondary side and have the starter spin. If it does not, the starter has a bad ground (as you indicated), or the starter is done. If the starter spins, apply 12 volts to the primary side of the solenoid (to the small gauge wires), and the solenoid should engage and then spin the starter. Those steps will troubleshoot the starter and the solenoid. You can do all of the above without a key, and without applying the brakes or kill switches.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Yikes! That stator has seen better days.

The ignition switch serves two purposes: it completes the positive circuit when on, and it connects the negative wire to the CDI when off. Simply unplugging an igntion switch won't allow either connection.

Time for some parts. Which country are you located in?

well i pulled the entire starter off the motor and bench tested with a good 12volt battery and a car jump pack that was fully charged. the starter did not spin at all. i opened the starter n i could not see anything wrong, but it did have a burnt smell to it when i opened it up.

and in in united states. pennsylvania.

do i need a working stator to actually allow the motor to turn over and run ?

and also you saying no matter what i will need a ignition switch in in order to get the atv to start n run ?

Old 01-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #11

You may be able to use some jumper wires instead of a switch. Just need a wiring diagram. I may have a starter here. Don't know if its a match.

Before you go any further does the engine turn over with compression? No need to waste money on parts otherwise.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
You may be able to use some jumper wires instead of a switch. Just need a wiring diagram. I may have a starter here. Don't know if its a match.

Before you go any further does the engine turn over with compression? No need to waste money on parts otherwise.
motor does turn over. but hoe do i do a compression test ? and how do i compression test it if it dont run ? thanks.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #13

Just do the thumb test. Press your thumb over the sparkplug hole and have someone turn the flywheel. It should build enough compression to force your thumb off the hole.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #14

spare parts

I think you bought yourself a real project.. this looks like a ZSTAR model.. But there are many the same as this... same parts etc.... now you see why you got it so cheap... check out your local area for a cheap atv... or let this go cheap to someone else.... you will spend a lot for buying all the parts to fix this... starter .. stator.. fuel tank.. there must be a local dealer for this stuff in your area.. I woulod not fix it.. as there are lot of atvs for sale working with all the parts.. for around the $200.00 - $350.00 range.. let the dream go

Old 01-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #15

Re: spare parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHLIGHTBOY
I think you bought yourself a real project.. this looks like a ZSTAR model.. But there are many the same as this... same parts etc.... now you see why you got it so cheap... check out your local area for a cheap atv... or let this go cheap to someone else.... you will spend a lot for buying all the parts to fix this... starter .. stator.. fuel tank.. there must be a local dealer for this stuff in your area.. I woulod not fix it.. as there are lot of atvs for sale working with all the parts.. for around the $200.00 - $350.00 range.. let the dream go
$200-$300 range ? no wat at all bro. definetly not around me. even the chinese ones like mine but working condition all go for $600 believe me i been looking and all over.

and for everything i need is only $100 in parts from ebay, so where you get $200 from ? i already looked.

what i am going to do is try a compression test. which would be helpfull if i knew what the psi of a good chinese 125cc motor should be, and if it passes, buy a stator, spark plug and a wire for a total of $45 to see if i can get it running. it already has brand new carb. if it runs. only $50 more in parts to complete it and a total of $150 invested. which would not be bad in my opinion. if it dont run. i sell the new parts or hold onto them for something else, and then i either keep quad for parts or to fix another i may find or sell it for parts and get my $40 back maybe more.

so i wont loose anything. but thanks for your concern.

now does anyone know the psi of a good chinese 125cc motor should be ?