Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2020, 01:42 AM   #1

Hawk 250 doomsday prepper question

Seeing as how the news is so cheerful everyday, I have a technical question for the preppers on here.

If an EMP event happened and your Hawk 25O was sitting outside, what spare parts would you need to have in your Faraday cage in order to get the bike running post haste?

Old 03-16-2020, 05:18 PM   #2

A Digital dash, voltage regulator, LED bulbs, CDI, turn signal box would all be shot. Getting it running would be the very least of your concerns. Yes it’s possible but the coming year has larger unfavorable questions.

Ho well have a good night all
2018 Hawk P&P Decked .040 off the head. 17/43 D.I.D. 428, NGK Iridium plug, DeCat, Wrapped pipe, Custom S.S. Muffler core, Nibbi PE30 115/35, L.E.D. Lights, Digital Cluster, USB port, Cutting Bord skid plate, Oil cooler w/ custom CRF oil filter inline, 5Wt fork oil, Rear Shock, CNC Back Rack, 30mm FAT bars, Bark Busters, ProGrips, Adjustable levers, Shinko 700’s lots of Loctite!

Old 03-16-2020, 06:10 PM   #3

You could convert it over to points with CG125 parts!

Old 03-16-2020, 08:55 PM   #4

Yeah old bikes with points would be kings of the road if the SHTF. Thanks for the replies, seems like “what if” scenarios are becoming reality, doesn’t hurt to be prepared.

Old 03-17-2020, 09:11 AM   #5

You have a Faraday Cage ... but no garage or shed to keep your Hawk in ?

Old 03-17-2020, 09:22 AM   #6

It was a theoretical question. Faraday cages, at least small ones, are quite easy to make. You can turn a metal safe into one.

Old 03-17-2020, 09:50 AM   #7

An EMP event huh? I knew there was something I forgot to prep for.. It's that darn Tako, he said he was gonna throw in something free with every cluster, and now he's doomed the entire Hawk Nation.

Oh damn, I just stepped in some corona, now I gotta go soak my foot in parts cleaner for a couple hours. Hope it doesn't affect my looting ability.. Well I'll let y'all get back to your speculating.
2011 Honda Foreman 500ES 4x4
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400

Old 03-17-2020, 10:51 AM   #8

1Leg's post makes me think about the simplicity of things.

There are 2 types of people when SHTF

Preppers and Looters.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:57 AM   #9

My last trip to town there was nothing left to loot!

According to all the legitimate testing I have read EMP will only affect components that are in operation at the time of the impulse.

I once asked a top NASA engineer what they did about CME, which is the natural pure form of EMP. He told me there was no real problem with the stuff out in space directly exposed constantly. If they got an overload surge they turned it off, then back on.

A simple computer reset. Disconnect the battery for one minute, connect it back up.

Old 03-17-2020, 03:25 PM   #10

Now that consumer goods are becoming more and more sparse, current data is showing a significant rise in the sale of ammunition and withdrawal of cash.

People going old school, not trusting banks and "the system" and want to have liquid cash, and of course weaponry to protect their goods and families

https://time.com/5804562/coronavirus-fears-gun-sales/

Old 03-17-2020, 04:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofqueenz View Post
1Leg's post makes me think about the simplicity of things.

There are 2 types of people when SHTF

Preppers and Looters.
Haha! I think people are seriously over reacting and the average American IQ is about 70. But I live on a small farm and even with our limited resources we could get by without water, electricity and toilet paper for atleast a year, maybe indefinitely if we did some swapping of goods and fuel with the locals. Even if it meant living primarily off of chicken and eggs and some beef. And I'm within walking distance of a major river and handy with a fishing pole. And we got a big creek running through the property and are well equipped for any stupidity that may arise.
2011 Honda Foreman 500ES 4x4
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400

Old 03-17-2020, 06:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post
Haha! I think people are seriously over reacting and the average American IQ is about 70. But I live on a small farm and even with our limited resources we could get by without water, electricity and toilet paper for atleast a year, maybe indefinitely if we did some swapping of goods and fuel with the locals. Even if it meant living primarily off of chicken and eggs and some beef. And I'm within walking distance of a major river and handy with a fishing pole. And we got a big creek running through the property and are well equipped for any stupidity that may arise.
LOL! Easy for you to say! Us in the city are going to have to bug out on our HAWKS etc. with all the weapons and ammo we can carry amidst the hordes! Hope you all got your performance mods right!

Old 03-17-2020, 07:11 PM   #13

Well said..

When I fire up my TBR7 I need to get it up to 60 mph to generate the 1.21 gigawatts to get the flux capacitor to work
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Back2Future.jpg (17.1 KB, 367 views)

Old 03-17-2020, 07:28 PM   #14

You better start modding. You need to get it up to 88mph.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-17-2020, 08:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
You better start modding. You need to get it up to 88mph.
Speaking of old 80's classics: What if Stacy's mom was really Jesse's girl, and her number was 867-5309?

On to the original question, an EMP will (theoretically) only damage anything in operation, and likely only to the point of requiring a restart/reset. There's a really good book series by William R Forstchen called One Second After (the next book is One Minute After, and the last book is The Final Hour) that details the overall breakdown of a rational society after an EMP. Another good read is Patriots by John Wesley Rawles (I think it's John, it may be James). Personally, we're not really worried about toilet paper, we have plenty of old T-shirts that we can cut up into conveniently sized squares and after use run them through the washing machine with a little bleach or hydrogen peroxide. Paper towels are the same thing, we've switch to dish towels whenever possible and just use a new one every day. Water is still flowing out of the taps, and we can filter/distill that if things get really bad. We have a few cases of bottled water, and a few gallons of distilled water for the Keurig. Plenty of band-aids and antibiotic ointment, and a few military first aid kits laying around. Bottom line, not really worried about much, honestly. I'm much more concerned about the kids that are out of school and either a) out and about raising hell, or b) not sure where their next meal is coming from since school was where they got breakfast and lunch. Not really sure where this is all going or what the next couple of weeks looks like, but the sun is shining, and there's gas in the tank. Maybe go for a ride and just breathe for a bit, guys. Stay safe out there, and remember to wash your hands.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up