Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2020, 10:33 AM   #1

Orion RXB-250L, opinions?

Anyone have any experience with the Orion RXB-250L? I have seen a few reviews on the RXB-250 on youtube but can't really find anything on the "L". I would like to get a decent commute bike and want something that will run comfortably at 63-65 mph to work. It'll be mostly county roads and state highways (with some dirt roads and light trails) so I won't need 70-75 mph interstate speeds.

I posted yesterday about some higher priced bikes (GPX and SSR) but I think I am going to stick to the $2,500 and below range.

Thanks for any help or direction................

Old 07-04-2020, 11:39 AM   #2

"L"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd View Post
Anyone have any experience with the Orion RXB-250L? I have seen a few reviews on the RXB-250 on youtube but can't really find anything on the "L". I would like to get a decent commute bike and want something that will run comfortably at 63-65 mph to work. It'll be mostly county roads and state highways (with some dirt roads and light trails) so I won't need 70-75 mph interstate speeds.

I posted yesterday about some higher priced bikes (GPX and SSR) but I think I am going to stick to the $2,500 and below range.

Thanks for any help or direction................
I think the "L" just means it has lights. They used to sell a dirt only version. This is similar to the RXB150X (dirt) vs. RXB150XL (lights).

Not sure about top speed for this bike, but most 250's top out at the 63-65 that you mention with the right rear sprocket. I have a CSC TT250 (CG engine) with a 47 rear sprocket (50 is stock for more off-road applications), aftermarket exhaust and a larger carb with street tires that tops out right in that range.

FYI...the TT250 is $2600 delivered, assembled. It is also fully backed by CSC in terms of virtually all parts, phone and e-mail technical assistance, and detailed technical service manuals. The seat will also be better for commuting (especially if you get the upgraded Seat Concepts seat...it is $250 though). There is also a 12-month unlimited mileage parts warranty.

I have had a good experience with Orion, but they are no where near the level of assistance (technical and parts) as CSC.

https://www.cscmotorcycles.com/defau...=xAllInventory

The RXB250 would be better if you plan on more off-roading, as it has a better suspension for this. So, if you are 70/30 I would do the TT250. If 30/70 the RXB250.

I have attached a photo of my commuter and also a detail shot of the pannier rack I built for it.

Also, make sure you can license the RXB250 in Texas. In California it is not possible because it is not EPA certified and now in Colorado (where I am) they need to have some sort of certification for safety from what I hear. I'll find out soon when I try to plate my RXB150XL. The TT250 is not an issue. It is 50-state certified.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front-side right.jpg (73.8 KB, 1005 views)
File Type: jpg rack no panniers-1.jpg (71.3 KB, 820 views)

Orion RXB 150XL

Old 07-04-2020, 03:16 PM   #3

Good job on the stand offs Goob !!! the panniers are the perfect size, where did you buy them? or brand.

Old 07-05-2020, 11:06 AM   #4

Nelson-Rigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ina Ditch View Post
Good job on the stand offs Goob !!! the panniers are the perfect size, where did you buy them? or brand.
They are Nelson-Rigg SE-3050, available in yellow or black. They come with inner bags with handles for easy load/un-load. About $160 delivered when I got them from Amazon. 27.5 liters each...and if you unfold for big loads (groceries for a week) about another 13 liters per side. Not waterproof in that case tho.

I have attached a couple of photos with the grocery load I carried. One shot un-loaded and one loaded. About 50 pounds.

Prior to these, I tried using a large folding crate on the back rack, but the load was too high and yanked me around on turns. The panniers carry more and the load is low..no effect on handling.

The rack mainly supports the panniers laterally, as most of the weight is put on the two straps that go under the seat between the two. This keeps the panniers square, and not sagging, and out of the wheel.

FYI, I used Makerpipe.com 3/4" EMT connectors and EMT for the rack. Check out their site.

https://www.amazon.com/SE-3050-Saddl...s%2C179&sr=8-3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Groceries-1.jpg (84.4 KB, 788 views)
File Type: jpg Groceries-2.jpg (57.7 KB, 750 views)

Orion RXB 150XL