Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #1

reverse gearbox clunks but forward ok?

I have a sunl 200cc atv that has a reverse gearbox on the rear axle. It has an emergency brake looking lever that activates reverse. But when I activate it, it just clunks when I release the clutch. But forward is ok.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:22 PM   #2

do you have the green and red indicater lights? if so get into what you think is reverse and slowly let out on the clutch if your red light isnt allready on it my pop on and into gear. ive had that happen.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:56 AM   #3

I wonder if you have the same rear axle as our Gio Monster 150. Do you have any pics? Does it look like this? http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ewtopic&t=8603

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-03-2010, 12:21 AM   #4

I only have a neutral indicator light. Yes, it's the same. I'll post a how to write up in your thread, weldandgrind. Thanks for helping me with this.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:14 AM   #5

You're welcome. Thanks for contributing.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #6

reverse gear clunk

when you put the trans into reverse it pulls the gear to make it go into reverse.. if it clunks.. either it if not all the way in as it is a stright cut gear.. or if you remove the 2 bolts for the cable cover .. you can spin it to tighten the cable in which would pull the gear move .. so it can go into gear all the way .. try this adjustment..

Old 06-04-2010, 11:07 AM   #7

Re: reverse gear clunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHLIGHTBOY
when you put the trans into reverse it pulls the gear to make it go into reverse.. if it clunks.. either it if not all the way in as it is a stright cut gear.. or if you remove the 2 bolts for the cable cover .. you can spin it to tighten the cable in which would pull the gear move .. so it can go into gear all the way .. try this adjustment..
It sounds like you're describing the planetary style of reverse mechanism that is found on most buggies and some GY6 quads.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:32 PM   #8

Please see http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ewtopic&t=8603 for my writeup, for anyone who is having problems with this axle.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:18 AM   #9

reverse gear clunking

do you have a cablke going to the right side of the rear of the motor .. or transmission?? if it is a cable going to a housing .. then it is like the ones used on the dune buggys.. you have to turn the aluminum housing to make the cable length longer .. this causes the cable to pull the gear into reverse.. if you have the model like the ones in the follow up advise.. I do nto know what to do .. as I do not have any ideas for this style..

Old 06-07-2010, 01:36 AM   #10

wolfmangk has a rear axle with reverse built in. Check out his post addition to the Monster rear axle sticky.

He's now the resident expert on that axle.