Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2008, 10:55 AM   #1

Plating the GY200 for on-road use

Does anyone know if the GY200 can be plated for on-road use in Ontario? The bikes came with all the safety equipment and have VIN plates stating that the bikes conform to all Canadian Safety Standards and I've got The Ontario Safety Certificate for each bike. The problem is that they were sold to me as off-road bikes and the Ontario Licensing Office tells me that it is probably not going to be possible to plate these for the road. Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

Old 09-18-2008, 08:52 AM   #2

You can read about my adventure.
http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...highlight=hsun
You would likely be in store for something similar.
Riding a blue plated HSUN 200GY (Otherwise know as a ULIKE 200GY, SUNL 200GY or a VIVA SX200S), a 2010 Gio Mini Hummer 110cc ATV, 2010 Gio T3 Rebel ATV, and a 2002 Kawasaki KLR650, 70cc Katera dirtbike, and a 49cc GIO dirtbike...so far!

Old 09-18-2008, 12:26 PM   #3

It does not matter if the bike came with all the road items, or looks the same, etc. The importer must PAY for the inspections to be done to the bikes prior to selling them in order for the bikes to be road legal. If the importer does not do this, the bike becomes an "off road only" bike and why they can be sold much cheaper then those from legit dealers.
This is why it is so difficult for bikes bought from the 'gray market dealers' to be licensed for the road.

Sometimes you can get the bike tagged with a manual inspection in the states, but I don't know the laws of Canada...

Good Luck.
2005 TANK Trail 200
2009 Lifan LY110GY-3 (2)

Old 09-22-2008, 10:35 PM   #4

Get and take a safety standards certificate from a licensed garage into the bureau with all paperwork and registration, it worked for me and Im in Ontario!, you have to try to speak as little about the bike as possible, lol.....they will never have heard of the make so it turns them off, but with the safety certificate they are technically legal, they are sold for off road use only because the Chinese companies are not well known in Corporate Canada :P
Lifan, HSUN, Rocketa, Hi bird etc, they make more than motorcycles,-- pocket bikes, dirt bikes without proper lighting equipment for road use etc..., the government regulates any vehicle manufactured by these companies by stamping for off-road upon importation into the country, but the Canada Border Agency doesnt safety bikes, mechanicsd do, good luck!

Old 09-23-2008, 12:08 AM   #5

yep
Safety cert says it's road worthy. Or so I was told. My bike was not emmissions tested by Xingyue, or my mechanic.

First thing I did was remove the "Not for highway" and "Off road only" stickers.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:40 PM   #6

Yup, no emmissions requirements on motorcycles in Ontario!, so Ive been told!