Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2022, 08:31 AM   #1

Stuck bolt and has anyone ordered from orion power sports?

Go figure the one bolt that doesnt come off on its own. 19mm axel bolt. changed 17t front sprocket now i cant adjust the rear tire to tighten the chain. Even went and bought a 100$ breaker bar and deep socket and now its just spinning the axel. I really dont have anyone that can help me and hold the 17mm side while i breaker if thts even possible but also considiering cutting it off somehow a new axel setup from orions website is 40$ but it loks like noones ever used their website. Any ideas?bolt qualitys shit obviously already starting to strip as well

Old 08-18-2022, 08:51 AM   #2

I have ordered some miscellaneous SSR parts from them in the past. I dunno, my stuff showed up and they were indeed the parts I ordered, although they were a little slow. It got the job done.

I also of course ordered an entire bike off of them and that went more or less okay until I needed parts under warranty at which point they started stonewalling me. My experience seems to align with what I've read from others. If you're just ordering parts from them you should be okay.

If you need someone to hold the wrench on the other side, just put a breaker bar on it long enough that it touches the ground, so your torque on the opposite side just drives it into the pavement. If you can beg, borrow, or steal one you'll probably have better luck with an impact gun. Is this on your Magician? There aren't any locking mechanisms or gotchas on removing the rear axle that I'm aware of on that bike. Although the factory probably did use red Loctite on the axle nut. They certainly did on my Enforcer. If so you can break read Loctite with heat. Just give the nut a little bake with a torch and it should come off more easily.

Cutting the axle off would be tricky. If you absolutely must use the nuclear option, if I were you I'd just cut off the nut with a Dremel tool or similar (lengthwise, i.e. perpendicular to the threads) or rent the nut splitter tool from Autozone and bust it off that way. I'm fairly certain in saying the axle nut on the Hawk/Magician is just a regular old nut, and there's a chance you can do this without messing up the axle threads and in that case you can just grab the right nut from a hardware store and be on your way afterwards.

Old 08-18-2022, 09:40 AM   #3

You can often just power through red Loctite, no heat needed. Depends on how much they used at the factory.

Good tip on the breaker bar. Or use any kind of wrench, and use a box, a stack of books, or something else to stop its movement.

I have used the old mechanic's trick to loosen a crank bolt, to get a pulley off a car motor. Attach socket and breaker bar to bolt, with breaker bar a foot or so off the pavement. Crank motor, breaker bar hits pavement, loosens bolt. Great trick.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 08-18-2022, 09:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_dgz View Post
I have ordered some miscellaneous SSR parts from them in the past. I dunno, my stuff showed up and they were indeed the parts I ordered, although they were a little slow. It got the job done.

I also of course ordered an entire bike off of them and that went more or less okay until I needed parts under warranty at which point they started stonewalling me. My experience seems to align with what I've read from others. If you're just ordering parts from them you should be okay.

If you need someone to hold the wrench on the other side, just put a breaker bar on it long enough that it touches the ground, so your torque on the opposite side just drives it into the pavement. If you can beg, borrow, or steal one you'll probably have better luck with an impact gun. Is this on your Magician? There aren't any locking mechanisms or gotchas on removing the rear axle that I'm aware of on that bike. Although the factory probably did use red Loctite on the axle nut. They certainly did on my Enforcer. If so you can break read Loctite with heat. Just give the nut a little bake with a torch and it should come off more easily.

Cutting the axle off would be tricky. If you absolutely must use the nuclear option, if I were you I'd just cut off the nut with a Dremel tool or similar (lengthwise, i.e. perpendicular to the threads) or rent the nut splitter tool from Autozone and bust it off that way. I'm fairly certain in saying the axle nut on the Hawk/Magician is just a regular old nut, and there's a chance you can do this without messing up the axle threads and in that case you can just grab the right nut from a hardware store and be on your way afterwards.
Great info man ya i thot about trying to use a wedged wrench to stop the movement of the axel but i already spent 120$ on a var and deep socket for the 19mm nut side. But i think ur absolutely right about the red locktite. I will try that but my dumb ass already started to strip the bolt. I might just order the axel kit from orion but i was rhinking it would b vwry tricky to cut the nut off i would try exactly how u said but i dunno how i wouldnt completly eff yp the tension system for the magician its not nuts and thread its kibda cool actually itd b eash if the effin nut would come off. Really.dont wana go nuclear but i guess trying heat is my last optionn. It just kills me ive spent so much time and money so far doing cat delete new ledss, exhaust wrap to cover my ugly welds from cat delete, kehien pz 30 xarb. Airbox delete, and 17t frobt and it runs amazing....i start it just to sit on it so sad from one stupid nut. Literally the only one with loctite. So with the heat i know there an actual number temperature its supposed to hit before degrading, then would i throw the socket on while its still hott and try to bust it free i feel like if the nut was really hott and its already started stripping that it would just get demolished? I have a 20v impact wrench that woulsnt even budge it but that was pre loctite knowledge. Maybe i can use thw drill after i heat it as i would b able to hold a wrench and use the impact at the same time.if i had to. My main question is after torching thr nut can i let it cool or do i have to bust it while its hott?

Old 08-18-2022, 11:06 AM   #5

The point is that the heat breaks down the Loctite. You can wait for the nut to cool off before wrenching. It's unlikely you will get the nut hot enough to appreciably soften it such that it would be further damaged, or more damaged than it would have been anyway, by wrenching it while still hot. You might anneal it slightly, but I'd doubt it's actually hardened in the first place.

Red Loctite breaks down above 450 degrees F. The critical temperature of (most) steel is not until 1335 degrees F.

Old 08-18-2022, 12:03 PM   #6

? Answereed

The heat did the job. Man knowledge is power how easy tht would gave been with tht bit of knowledge. Thwse bikes DO come with red locktite on the axle nuts at least. Thanks for the knoledge drop hopefully help soomeone in the future