Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2009, 06:23 PM   #1

Borrowed a Harley

I borrowed my brother inlaws Harley, a 2005 Hertige softail delux. It has every piece of chrome that you can order from the harley catlog on it. He's a doctor. This is the most beautiful bike I have seen in person. Anyway, Im pratice riding it for 6 weeks pre a long trip, about 325mi to Panama City Beach for Thunder Beach bike fest at the end of april. Im not a Harley guy but I could see where people get into the craze. This bike is a sea cow on land. Seams heavy, steers heavy and just feels out right big. Not something I want to have to lay down with,panic stop etc. You sit really low. I like the enduro look when I ride the Roketa 200 and dress the part. Had to scrap up the harley look from my closet, black gloves,denim vest,black boots etc. So heres my point, I will always be a dirt/enduro bike kind of guy simply due to the fact this is what I rode for the last 40 yrs and Im right at home on these nimble light weight bikes. Hech, I could buy 7-10 china enduros or three new KLR 650 for what this thing cost used. But Im still looking foward to doing this atleast once. Chris

Old 03-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #2

Yeah but how comfortable is the harley to ride ???

I'm betting fairly decent with all that weight it wont be bouncing around to much.

I myself cant see me ever on a big harley but thats just me I tend to shy away from stuff like that.
(I hate running with the pack I'm more of a loner........a rebel........and I'll never ever be any good :wink: )

A BMW R 1200 GS/Adventure would be more to my liking/style if I wanted to drop a lot of cash.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:06 PM   #3

Harley, stock, are super comfortable... The ones I tried on the demo rides anyways.... As compared to my Vulcan... Of course, the only thing I am taking into consideration here really is the seat, the stock Harley seat in my opinion is very comfy... My Kawasaki Vulcan is rather hard... Granted, you can get replacement and custom ones for either bike... I'm not a Harley guy myself either, but I do like cruisers... I think the weirdest thing on a Harley is the signal switches, but I guess that is something a person would get used too...

Old 03-10-2009, 07:11 AM   #4

I;ll agree with you guys, the weght of the bike, front end, keeps it planted firmly on the road as the Roketa can get light and squirley with oncoming passing vehicles/windy days and riding it 50 mph and above. The harley seat is definitely comfortable. You sit in this bike like a recliner. My Roketa gives me a straight verticle up right position, good for about 75 miles of riding but squirming around on the seat from the start. It is loud as it has the aftermarket screaming eagle pipes. The motor is a stock "88"cu engine with a stage 1 upgrade. Hopefully I wont get wiped out on my pratice rides as this Tampa Bay area is very congested with weekly reports of motorcycle accident deaths. I ride the Roketa in rural north FL. on country two lane roads at this weekend get away place that we have. This Harley seems to require alot more attention to ride in a 8 lane road. Maybe Im still not that comfortable with it yet in high traffic conditions. Chris.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:26 AM   #5

Stay safe out there.

Your areas motorcycle crash situation sounds a lot like the gang shooting situation here... :roll:

Old 03-10-2009, 04:03 PM   #6

I really doubt I'll ever buy an on-road only bike ever maybe a good cheap used one if it comes up but never a new one.

Had a little shoot out at the end of our street this last week in the apartments.

That must of been the day the fire truck stopped in front of our house (5 blocks away from the shooting=chickens) and waited for the police cars to cruise on down there first.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:15 PM   #7

Which leads me to the question, Why is the fire truck always there first? I figure the ambulance has to handle better and have better acceleration. And they leave from the same buildings around here. Threy also tend to beat the cops to the scene on a regular basis.

Be safe on the Harley and have some fun!

Old 03-11-2009, 12:57 AM   #8

Keep the rubber side down, Harleys or not we are part of the same group...The two wheeled group that is. I am more of an Indian or Norton guy myself when it comes to those kinds of bikes.