Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2022, 07:35 PM   #1

Head Scratching Kick starter not working...any ideas?

(Solved)
Hi all:
I prevously purchased a Kayo TD125 (semi auto 4 speed) for my kids and we've been having some fun with this little bike. I found a pair of newer Kayo TT140 for them to learn clutch and brought them home. I tried to use the kick start when testing and the seller just pressed the electric start for me. However, I got home and cleaned them up I tried to kick start and neither wants to kick start.

I hate the idea of not having a back up to electric start. Any ideas why I don't feel any significant compression and start with the 'kick'? Electric works, so the engines arent the problem.

Thanks,
Kevin

Last edited by Homegrown; 10-27-2022 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Solved.

Old 10-17-2022, 07:58 PM   #2

You probably need to turn the engines with light kick start pressure to get to TDC on the compression stroke for it to catch properly.

I find China bikes extremely difficult to kick start when cold.

Old 10-17-2022, 08:15 PM   #3

You can also push start them, esp. if you have a slope to help. Recommend 3rd gear.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle. Nope, finally retired.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 10-17-2022, 09:47 PM   #4

Hi all:
Thanks for the very useful input. I was trying multiple things and probably pulled the clutch in. As a K1200 rider, the idea of kick starting a bike is new to me. I will have the bikes later this week and try the suggestions. I didnt understand the need to find the point where to kick the bike, so thank you for that input too!

Old 10-27-2022, 07:34 PM   #5

Hi all:
I wanted to return to thank everyone for input. I did as instructed and still had issues until rolling the throttle a little on the kick. Being a BMW and Triumph rider this was all new to me. Your help made sure we did t get stuck on the trails this past weekend.
Sincerely
Homegrown (Kevin)