Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2021, 12:57 PM   #1

Coincidence, or not ? Phone / Speed Odometer ???

I had been having some trouble with the digital Speedometer on my Brozz, not in the accepted fact that it reads about 10% higher than true speed, but my issue was, or possibly still is ,My speedO would momentarily display high numbers like 89, or 92, or 79 as I would accelerate , and then display as normal once I started running a steady speed. I contacted Jeff of Peace Sports, and he recommended checking the connection of the wires ,and to look at the speed sensor on the wheel. I did what he recommended, and it still acted up on me. I went to town today, and it did as described. I stopped in town, and took my phone off it's mount on the handle bars, and never put it back on , and my speedO acted just fine coming home on the same road as I traveled going to town. Do you think it may have just straightend out on its own, or do you think my phone,or the free GPS, and SpeedO app on my phone could have been causing my issue???

Old 04-10-2021, 02:55 PM   #2

I wouldn't think the phone app would cause the issue unless it's physically or or wirelessly connected to the speedo dash in some way. It sounds like your sensor itself it the issue. Did your sensor have a black ring that came with it? I know if you don't install the ring, or if it falls off during assembly it could cause some issues. Also what is your front axel torqued at? Not sure if over torqueing could cause any issues or not, but just trying to toss out some ideas.

NO HILL TOO STEEP NO MUD TOO DEEP
The Brozz | The Hawk Upgrades, Accessories, Etc...
Assembly Checklist: Brozz 250 | Hawk 250
~idle_purr

Old 04-10-2021, 05:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by idle_purr View Post
I wouldn't think the phone app would cause the issue unless it's physically or or wirelessly connected to the speedo dash in some way. It sounds like your sensor itself it the issue. Did your sensor have a black ring that came with it? I know if you don't install the ring, or if it falls off during assembly it could cause some issues. Also what is your front axel torqued at? Not sure if over torqueing could cause any issues or not, but just trying to toss out some ideas.
My sensor is properly assembled. I didn't use a torque wrench during any part of assembly. I did use wheel bearing grease on the axle, and worked some up around the bearings. I had never noticed it acting up before the other day, but also had not really been watching it as close as I do now that I noticed the issue. I hope it doesn't do it again. I will run the bike without the phone mounted by the speedO, and then with it mounted, and see what happens. I know it sounds crazy to think the phone, or possible the app could be the culprit, but if I experiment enough with ,and without the phone mounted, and it only does it with the phone mounted, then I will be convinced. I can live with it as long as it doesn't quit working all together. If it needs to be replaced, I want to replace it while my warranty will cover it. My state requires a working speed odometer, and a milage odometer.

Old 04-10-2021, 06:36 PM   #4

Mine has done the same from day one, it doesnt happen all the time, and when it does its almost always when idling.. i usually blip the throttle and it seems to re-calibrate

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X