Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2015, 09:52 PM   #1

New Bashan Storm 250

This post is actually a month or two past due but I've been busy with the holidays. I wanted to share the build of my new Bashan Storm 250!

I bought this motorcycle for a few reasons... First, I've had some "life stuff" happen lately that I needed a distraction from. Second, I have a 10 year old son that I wanted to have a project to share with him that he would think was cool. And third, I'm a complete noob around engines and such so I was hoping to learn some things the best way possible - by literally getting my hands dirty. That all being said, I'll try to answer any questions the best I can. The good news is that if I can put this thing together, anybody can!

Anyway... check it out.

This is what I got delivered...

Another view...

Taking the wrapping off...

Secured the handlebar...

These were most of the loose bolts and washers that came with the bike. There were no instructions as to where anything went. However, I found most things were pretty easy to figure out. I hand tightened everything until I was just about done and then removed each bolt and applied locktite before really tightening.

Here's the front end coming together...

Here's the battery it came with...

Funny warning sticker. Apparently they didn't even try to find a native English speaker to proof this...

Kickstand was a total pain to get on. I ended up using the power of a thousand curse words to get it on. I was also able to install the rear shock by myself. It took lifting the rear of the bike with one hand while I installed the bolt in the end of the shock underneath the seat behind the engine with the other hand - because I don't like doing things the easy way (I'm actually typing this with my nose on a cellphone).

All done with the assembly. I immediately replaced the dish detergent they put in for oil and charged the battery. I also added a cell phone Holder so I could run a speedometer app. The built in one is hard to see and not very accurate.

On my ride yesterday here in South Carolina. We still have warm weather and the sunsets on the marsh are the perfect backdrop...

From the other side...

Lastly, I love the looks on people's faces when I tell them this bike was as much as a decent mountain bike. My friend's wife before she saw it asked if it came in a cardboard box. When I replied, "Well, yeah. Kind of." She laughed until she saw it parked in her driveway. Her jaw dropped. Then her attention shifted to her husband, my friend, explaining what a deal it would be and how much he would save in gas around town. Hahaha.

All in the bike was around $1500 delivered plus $100 for insurance, around $75 for taxes and registration. So far, I love it!!

Old 12-06-2015, 10:31 PM   #2

Nice bike and you will be happy with it.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:51 AM   #3

Very interesting post.

Awesome scenery!

Very nice bike and great price

Would be about £1000 in UK but I don't think they are sold in UK unless anyone knows different.

Enjoy!!

Old 12-07-2015, 05:04 AM   #4

Very nice!

/

Old 12-07-2015, 06:42 AM   #5

That's a handsome motorcycle, and you did a great job with the assembly. Thanks for posting the wonderful photos from the Palmetto State.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-07-2015, 07:47 AM   #6

Did your Storm come with alarm and remote start? I think the China bikes and scooters have gotten past that little gimmick that was very popular a few years back.

/

Old 12-07-2015, 08:41 AM   #7

What a beauty!

Thanks for the pics and the story.

Past: 2012 Honda NC700x, 2014 Taotao ATM-50-A1, 2014 Taotao Evo, 19?? Honda Spree 50, 1982 Katana 550

Old 12-07-2015, 09:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
Did your Storm come with alarm and remote start? I think the China bikes and scooters have gotten past that little gimmick that was very popular a few years back.

/
Yes. It came with these. Kind of weird. "Gimmick" is the right word.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:27 AM   #9

how well does it run out of the box?

Old 12-07-2015, 09:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadstepper View Post
Yes. It came with these. Kind of weird. "Gimmick" is the right word.

Most people end up disconnecting and eliminating. The alarm is notorious for battery drain and the remote start is notorious for causing no start problems.

The Storm motorcycle has a great reputation for being a quality bike.

/

Old 12-07-2015, 12:21 PM   #11

Thanks for the pics of the assembly process. Also, excellent job of typing with your nose on a cell phone.

Counter-balanced goodness! I haven't ridden one like that yet, but I bet vibration is noticeably reduced.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-07-2015, 01:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by retread View Post
how well does it run out of the box?
I was impressed although I don't have much to compare it to. The last motorcycle I rode was almost 20 years ago. I did notice the paint on the exhaust stunk bad as it burned off. I also find it takes a few cranks in the cold to get it started. All minor and other than that I'm really happy.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Thanks for the pics of the assembly process. Also, excellent job of typing with your nose on a cell phone.

Counter-balanced goodness! I haven't ridden one like that yet, but I bet vibration is noticeably reduced.
It is a very smooth ride. Much smoother than I thought it would be. The seat is really comfortable too. The only change I see myself doing is to upgrade the sprocket to a 39 tooth to get a little more speed. There is a stretch of highway near me that runs around 65 mph that I'd love to hit. Just a few miles down is a good place to see live music and grab a cold beer!

Old 12-07-2015, 07:32 PM   #14

What kind of beer? That matters.

What size are your current sprockets?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-07-2015, 09:58 PM   #15

very nice!!!!!

Tags
bashan storm 250, dual sport