Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #1

Hello from Victoria, BC Canada

Hey folks! I just ordered a new Gio X31 250 and am excited about getting it. Figured I would introduce myself and ask a few questions. Here's my bike background:

Growing up, my grandfather had a 1200 acre cattle ranch in Beaver Valley (part of Horsefly district). Almost every summer I would go up there and blast around on a 1980 Honda 80 (my dad bought it new), and he rode an old 70's Honda 350. Anyways, I rode that bike for years and had a blast riding through the mounts/old trails around that area.

Anyways, fast forward several years and after many years of not riding, last year I decided to get a street bike. I picked up an old 82 Yamaha maxim 400, nursed it back from the dead, and got my rode license. Upgraded to a 2005 yamaha v-star 650 in February. I was riding almost every day as a daily commuter, then in may I was cruising down a four lane road (two one way, two the other), and a taxi cab going the opposite way decide to turn left into a mall without looking. My bike slammed into the side of the taxi, and I sorta blacked out for a few seconds. Next thing I remember is I'm standing by the taxi and my bike is wedged into the taxi. Entire front of my bike is crumpled, and I guess when it hit front on, the taxi was still moving so the bike swung around. I had full motorcycle armor on but I had scuff marks on my helmet and it looks like I also slammed against the side of the taxi. Hell, my bike put holes in the side of the taxi cab.

So after that, my wife was very apprehensive about me getting back into traffic on a bike, and I couldn't disagree with it. So I'm out of street riding, and decided I need to get back into dirt bike riding. I don't want to do anything fancy, just go riding through old logging roads with my DSLR and take some pictures; basically just do some exploring.

Money is a bit tight right now and I did a bit of research on china bikes. I'm pretty able mechanically - I worked at a car performance shop for 2 years and did several motor swaps. Also I had a 1990 mazda miata that I did a full motor swap and custom turbo setup on it. Fastest I ran a 1/4 miles was 13.6 seconds, and I fully expected to break into the 12's this season. I had 200whp last year, and got it up to 263.7 this year. Anyways after the motorbike accident I got a cheque for the destroyed bike, and also decided to sell the miata and get something newer. I picked up a 2007 honda fit sport, and just removed any immediate thoughts of getting a dirt bike. Then on Saturday I get a call from my in-laws asking if I want to have their 93 nissan king cab v6 truck for free. They just don't use it. I thought about it for a few seconds, and was thinking "no not really," then I realized "Hey, I can fit a dirt bike into the back of a truck!" So I got the truck, and ordered the bike last night.

Now onto my questions. The one thing I'm a bit apprehensive about is the size of the fuel tank. I see it's a 3L tank. Does anyone know what kind of range that gives? Is there any way to retrofit a larger tank on there? I suppose if it comes down to it, I could always try to get an aluminum tank fab'd up.

Anyways glad to be here, and hopefully I can be a useful contributor.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:26 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums! I think you'll like the Gio X31, I'm fond of them and the X35's as well. I'm not sure about the range on the 3 Litre tank but I do know that these bikes seem to run forever on not a lot of fuel. I don't believe they have a reserve setting either so it might be a good idea to pack a small MSR fuel bottle with you if your venturing too far out. I don't know of any aftermarket tanks that fit it either, no one here to my knowledge has ever fit a larger tank on the X31. Hopefully some of the X31 owners will chime in with some range numbers for the 3 litre tank. Enjoy the bike!

Old 08-05-2011, 10:32 AM   #3

Welcome. Sounds like an adventure so far.

I would think that 3L would be good for about 30-40 miles off road.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:10 AM   #4

Welcome!

It sounds like you have mad fab skills, so retrofitting a larger tank from another bike shouldn't be much of a challenge. I've often wondered if a '96-'04 XR250 tank would fit with a little massaging. It's a better choice than a CR, because the XR tank doesn't have the wings.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #5

Welcome; you came to the right place! Since you have fabrication skills, and don't mind doing you own maintenance, I'm sure you will enjoy your new Gio X32 250.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #6

Thanks folks! I got the bike yesterday and trying to fit in time to put it together.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaliose
Thanks folks! I got the bike yesterday and trying to fit in time to put it together.
Congratulations! If you have time, please take photos as you assemble your bike; we love photos!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-13-2011, 01:39 AM   #8

Welcome, I'm also looking forward to assembly/ first ride pix of the gio. Cheers!

Old 08-16-2011, 07:59 AM   #9

Welcome to the Forums!

I too have an X31 as my first motorbike as well... Other than some flooding issues that I'm working on, I love it.

Funny you mention Horsefly! I've got some really good friends from there and myself grew up on Vancouver Island.

(lol you could always just fab up a Camel-Bak of gas as reserve tank to strap on your back for extra range too. wouldn't be too hard to get the materials for that.)