Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2017, 07:33 PM   #1

I Blame Cheesy!!

That's right, I take no responsibility at all for my now VERY full garage! It's all Cheesy's fault! He told me what a blast Urals were to rocket around on, an guess what?! THEY ARE!! After about a week of discussion with Mrs. Emerikol, we decided to get a Ural so that we will be able to go do motorcycle stuff even with her being "in a family way." I have all of about four hours experience in this bucket, and I'm already able to fly the sidecar. This is by far the easiest motorcycle-related learning experience I've ever had. This thing is so much fun! On a serious note, I would like to thank Cheesy for taking some time out of his life to tell me all about owning a Ural, and what to expect. Here are some pictures of the Ural in a very crowded garage:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6166.jpg (91.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6167.jpg (94.3 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6168.jpg (89.2 KB, 54 views)

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 03-03-2017, 08:19 PM   #2

First off, you call that garage crowded?

Second, damn, that was fast.

Congrats. What year?

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 03-03-2017, 08:27 PM   #3

Four bikes on one side, Ural, shelves, and toolbox on the other... Yeah, it's pretty crowded in there. I also have the 3rd row seat out of the Suburban in there. You can hardly walk around at all. The missus said I need to spend some time down there in the morning and make it so we can walk around the bikes and get out without tripping over anything. I guess being pregnant means she's being clumsy for two. It's a 2016 Gear Up in Urban Camo. It was the last one the dealership had, and was their demo model. Got one hell of a deal on it. I actually got that one out the door for only $600 more than a 2017 cT would have cost me. There were 300k's on it when I picked it up this morning. All in all, I'm super happy with it. I've only got a handful of hours on it, and I can already fly the sidecar. Not quite as smooth setting it down as I would like to be, but that will come with more practice. It has seriously been the easiest motorcycle technique transition I've ever had. Moving from Sport and Superbikes to cruisers to dualsport was much harder. Thanks again for taking the time to give me the rundown on Urals. They are SO much fun!!

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 03-03-2017, 08:57 PM   #4

Nice, glad I could help. I couldn't recall if that color was Arctic Camo or Urban Camo. Enjoy it and keep up with the PM. You probably already have a bottle of 242 Loctite.

Once that little one arrives and becomes mobile, there will be even less room in that garage. Any Dad can tell you that.

BTW, I just shoe horned my Honda in here.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 03-03-2017, 09:22 PM   #5

In every military training exercise I've ever been on, it's called Arctic Camo. Apparently that's not good enough for the Ural's of the world, and they have to call it Urban Camo... Whatever, it's white and gray... That's a lot of bikes hanging from the rafters... If you keep the boy bikes and girl bikes separated you wouldn't have so many of them. Just saying... I have to take the rear brakes apart on the Ural tomorrow and put some synthetic brake grease on all the moving bits. It howls like a banshee when you get into the rear brakes. I really don't know what the collective wisdom of the internet was talking about when they said Urals didn't have any power. This one will go like hell right up until it tops out at about 67-73'ish. I think that once it loosens up a bit more and finishes breaking in it will be a perfectly capable machine.

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 03-03-2017, 09:52 PM   #6

Excellent purchase! Glad to have you on three wheels. now you can join the Soviet Steeds forum, the ADV forum, and check out USCA.org.

Seems several of us have the same sickness. I have 2 C10's, the China Bike, the Nomad/Sidecar and my parts bike I'm using to mock up my leading link front end. This is the only pic I have and it doesn't show the mess all that well. LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170214_212425 small.jpg (94.6 KB, 46 views)

Old 03-03-2017, 11:22 PM   #7

Now you done it.

Fuel injected ? What is the cc?

Now you will make those mundane supermarket trips not so dull! Do you still have Winn Dixie's down there?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 03-04-2017, 05:21 AM   #8

It's a 750 boxer engine with FI. There's tons of low end power there, but it seems to run out of legs after about 65-70. That will creep up a bit as the engine breaks in, but it doesn't get a whole lot higher. I wouldn't trust it on the highway for more than an exit or two. I already made a grocery trip in it yesterday, and you're absolutely right, not a mundane, run-of-the-mill grocery getter at all. There are still a few Winn-Dixies left in this part of the world, but Ingles and Kroger are putting them out of business slowly but surely. We also have Publix out here, but that's a little too much money for the same things. Personally, Kroger is right up my alley. The one nearest us has a Starbucks inside, so that keeps Mrs. Emerikol happy and well caffeinated (when she's not pregnant, that is....)

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 03-04-2017, 06:19 AM   #9

Thumbs Up

Interesting on the market rap. When I left Jackson miss . In 84 Kroger was up and coming. And now it's established. Not familiar with Publix guess it's like those whole foods and trader Joe's things in san antonio. Give me a super walmart any day and down goes the $205 bill (last trip)

Well, that's a substantial about of mass going 70mph. Guess you can't jigger with the Jets of a carbonated steed but that f.i. is still nice for no fuss grips and rips. Im sure there are the traditional air in air out speed hacks to be found. Going to top out sooner or later, thanks for the report..
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 03-04-2017, 06:23 AM   #10

I've read that Ural kinda, sorta, fibbed on the carbed version HP. Closer to 35 than the claimed 45. The fuelie is rated at 41 but will pretty much run circles around the carbed model. Some guys have pushed their Tourists and CTs to eighty. You might eventually see seventy five on your Gear Up, but that extra drive shaft robs horse power.

Best to keep the WOT runs few and far between until that first oil change. The fuelies don't have a fuel 'Reserve', so start thinking about gas when you see around 150 klicks on the trip odometer. Better to take on 3.5 gallons at the gas pump than to add 2.5 gallons from the jerry can and having to prime the fuel system. DON'T TRUST THE LOW FUEL LIGHT. Can't trust the speedo on mine, so I have a Trail Tech Vapor and gas up every 100 miles.

Mine is happiest between 45-60. Much above sixty five and she runs outta breath. Putzing around town at thirty five and all I really hear is the howl of the knobbies and the cam gears, no exhaust noise. Above 55, it sounds like this.

Watch Gobiums' videos. He's the guru on Ural repair.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 03-04-2017, 04:30 PM   #11

I'm thinking weekend get-together in Clayton GA at the Old Clayton Inn.