Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2010, 02:42 AM   #1

XR200 / XR200R Camshaft

Since the question has come up a couple of times, I thought I'd share the cam specs I found today. My son and I were tearing down another donor engine for his '83 XR200R that's under construction, so we took some measurements.

We measured a 1980 XR200 and a 1983 XR200R cam, and found that they were within 0.001" of each other. The cams measure 0.0270" intake and 0.0255 exhaust at max lift (I don't have a degree wheel for duration measurements).

It seems that the only difference between the two engines is the high compression piston in the XR200R. Guess which piston we'll be using? :wink:

Maybe this info will benefit a Lifan China Rider.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-15-2010, 08:55 AM   #2

Maybe I should take the lifan engine apart and measure its cam.

Allen

Old 04-15-2010, 10:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Maybe I should take the lifan engine apart and measure its cam.

Allen
That's a marvelous idea! I think I may know where I can get my hands on one if it fits!...and is a better cam timing arrangement!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-15-2010, 11:00 AM   #4

I should add that I'm not certain if the cam in the '83 XR200R is correct for that year; it had a plain XR200 head on an otherwise XR200R engine. All I know is that one of the cams I measured is from a plain XR200, and the two cams are virtually identical.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-15-2010, 11:32 AM   #5

Kato asked about the measuring process in another thread, so here's how I did it. I used a dial indicator and magnetic base, and I set the zeroed dial indicator tip as close to the centerline of the cam base circle as I could. I cycled the cam in both directions to ensure consistency, and I didn't disturb the adjustments when I swapped in another cam for comparison.

Dial indicator:

Magnetic base (I had a hard time getting the magnet to stick to the aluminum, hence the clamp ):

Old 04-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #6

So I will need to pull the valve cover off this engine and get some details.

Allen

I can do that. FIY, I found an 86 xr200 needing an engine. :wink:

Old 04-15-2010, 10:53 PM   #7

That is some remarkable work! And very interesting. How can a different piston change the compression?

Old 04-15-2010, 11:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWorld
That is some remarkable work! And very interesting. How can a different piston change the compression?
It is the shape of the top or dome that squishes more air and fuel creating more compression. They are usually a different metal material to be able to handle the heat without melting as well.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:56 PM   #9

OK, sure is interesting!

Old 04-16-2010, 02:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWorld
It is the shape of the top or dome that squishes more air and fuel creating more compression. They are usually a different metal material to be able to handle the heat without melting as well.
To expand on TurboT's comment, the dome shape of the piston top squishes the same amount of air / fuel into a smaller space (vs. a flat top piston). The more the mixture is compressed, the more energy is released when it's ignited.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:21 AM   #11

Re: XR200 / XR200R Camshaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
It seems that the only difference between the two engines is the high compression piston in the XR200R. Guess which piston we'll be using? :wink:
Hey D,

I seem to remember a burnt valve from one of those motors? Was the burnt valve from the HC piston motor?

I'm not sure, but if you went with the HC piston you may want to ensure the valves were the same and not a different material or design. (More heat)

Old 04-16-2010, 02:36 AM   #12

Nope, no burned valves in these motors, in fact the valves on this latest motor look really good. Since it was a matched set, I'm gonna run the new head, cylinder, piston and valves.

You might be thinking of an old Toyota I had.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Nope, no burned valves in these motors, in fact the valves on this latest motor look really good. Since it was a matched set, I'm gonna run the new head, cylinder, piston and valves.

You might be thinking of an old Toyota I had.
Hmmmmm..... I could've swore I saw a bad valve in a Honda head over in your shop. Perhaps I've just been sniffing too much glue of late. :P

No matter, I'm sure you have your engine rebuild well under control, I can't wait to race Sam on the newly built W&G + Son Honda. Yamaha will prevail. Go Team Blue! 8)

Old 04-16-2010, 08:46 AM   #14

Re: XR200 / XR200R Camshaft

Quote:

We measured a 1980 XR200 and a 1983 XR200R cam, and found that they were within 0.001" of each other. The cams measure 0.0270" intake and 0.0255 exhaust at max lift (I don't have a degree wheel for duration measurements).
The duration of the XR200 cams should be 220 at .050" lift.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:53 AM   #15

I was waiting for your input, suprf1y. I don't think that we have any other cam grinders on here.

Have you ever played with the mechanical advance mechanism on an old XR200R? I figure that I should be able to connect my timing light and check the dynamic behaviour.