Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 01:04 AM   #1

adjusting Rear Shock

My wife told I should excersise more if I want to stiffen my rear end so I'd better rephrase this.

How about adjusting the mono shock on the bike?

Old 04-03-2007, 01:16 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
Depends on the shock that's installed. If it has a preload adjusting collar or a valving adjustment, then you're golden. The most I've seen on these bikes is a preload adjust. My rear shock has no adjustment whatsoever so the only option is to replace it with an adjustable model shock.

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter

Old 04-03-2007, 07:05 AM   #3

Molypod, read this entire thread. If you are experiencing a super stiff rear suspension that feels like you are riding on a brick, you'r gonna have to live with it unless you do something drastic like I have. Best of luck man, steer away from potholes!!!!!!

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ewtopic&t=1315

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 04-03-2007, 12:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2003
Molypod, read this entire thread.
Thanks, I had been keeping up with that thread and the other one about front forks when I saw it mentioned the rear shock may be adjustable.

I've had the bike bottom out a couple times and was wondering if I could stiffen the rear up somehow. I primarily ride dirt and only ride the pavement short distances to get to the dirt and the shock has softened. Alot smoother ride now over washboard but on the bigger bumps even with standing up when I hit them the bike flexes quite a bit and bottoms out.
The China bike has taken more and more abuse than I had intended but it takes it like it was meant to and I'm pushing it harder each ride.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:26 PM   #5

Got ya. It sounds like the shock is dead. I have my stocker with only 150 miles I'll sell you for cheap. Let me know.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 04-03-2007, 01:49 PM   #6

Get down on the ground and look to see if has thread on the top or bottom. If it does just loosen the outer ring and the tighten up the inner one. You can use a spanner wrench or a big flat screwdriver and a hammer.

Stiffened mine up as well.

I'm thinking about removing a top off a front shock to see if I can drill and tap in air valves so I can stiffen up the front as well...

Old 04-03-2007, 03:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by molypod
The China bike has taken more and more abuse than I had intended but it takes it like it was meant to and I'm pushing it harder each ride.
Believe me, there is a limit, but it's a lot higher then most would expect initially. I know it's really hard to resist the temptation to just see how much punishment these things can handle. But once you have put it through the ringer you will find that you are remarkably satisfied with your buying decision. As for my experience, the engine would be the last thing I would ever expect to be the weak link (at least the OHC, since I have no experience with the push rod). These things are virtually bulletproof! 5600 miles and counting.
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 04-03-2007, 04:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
Get down on the ground and look to see if has thread on the top or bottom.
I'll have a look this weekend when I get Home.

Thanks to everyone for your input and I am more than happy with my purchase and can't wait to get out a ride everyday when I'm home, Looking for every excuse to get on the bike " Really were out of milk again?? Hmm... I better get some for the kids cereal!"
except I don't come home for two hours, usually forget the milk on the way home and I am so dirty my wife doesn't let me in the house without changing

Old 04-08-2007, 01:20 PM   #9

Here's what I got. from swing arm to mark on side panel weight off weight on ( full ride gear my full weight) I have 2" of sag.

here is a pic of the bottom of the Mono shock and what I think are the two collars for adjusting, I've never had to adjust a mono before.
I assume I need to lossen the bottom collar, then tighen the top one to increase the sag?

pic.
http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/...serialNumber=1

Old 04-08-2007, 02:01 PM   #10

molypod

Correct, loosten bottom spanner nut, adjust the top one then lock them together.

Bruce
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 04-08-2007, 02:04 PM   #11

Thanx bruce,

Best tools to use?
Hammer and Large flat head screwdriver?
looking at the notches that is what I would try.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:09 PM   #12

molypod

Yes that will work but be careful not to gouge the spanners, a long punch will work also.

Bruce
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 04-08-2007, 05:22 PM   #13

Mine came with a spanner wrench but I didn't try it.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
Mine came with a spanner wrench but I didn't try it.
SO THATS WHAT THAT THING IS

Anyways.. I adjusted the spring to 2.5" of sag which is the most I could get.. ( maybe the scissor restricts the max amount)
I took the bike for a great ride with some decent air time and there wasn't much change.
the bike does compress well before the hit ( it does hit its stops on the front forks sometimes) but upon landing I still feel like there should be more travel then it has..

True its' not an XR or CR ( both of which I have owned) Nor is it a New CRF ( hmm maybe I shoud try one) but I feel there should be more I can get out of this bike with either adjustments or perhaps some new parts...

Not complaining just trying to tweak this thing into the best off road bike I can get out of it. On the road it is just great and maybe because I have never owned a dualsport before I am expecting more than I should..
I think next,
Some Kendal DOT Knobbies and maybe the Red2003 scissor mod.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:55 AM   #15

Molypod. What you are saying about the rear suspension I have addressed in my earlier posts. Trust me, it's not gonna get any better with adjustment. The rear suspension is only capable of about 3 inches of travel with the stock parts, and the last 1/2 in. of that is just the scissor parts being torn apart and flexing. Adjust all you want, it is what it is. The only fix is to eliminate the stock linkage. I wish I could have found a simpler fix (believe me, I tried) but it's not gonna happen, unfortunately :( . C'mon, take the plunge and rip that scissor linkage apart. I'll help any way I can .