Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2010, 10:01 AM   #1

Rebel T3 200-chain adjustment

I just received my new GIO quad, definitely not impressed with the shipping results. However, after contacting allstarz, they informed me damage is common, they should add that comment to their site.
Anyways, we all know they provide no instructions to assemble, the manual is crap but it does show the ability to make a chain adjustment. I looked all over the rear swing arm, I couldn't see how an adjustment could be made, could I get some feedback or help.
Thanks

Old 04-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #2

Re: Rebel T3 200-chain adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro99
I just received my new GIO quad, definitely not impressed with the shipping results. However, after contacting allstarz, they informed me damage is common, they should add that comment to their site.
Anyways, we all know they provide no instructions to assemble, the manual is crap but it does show the ability to make a chain adjustment. I looked all over the rear swing arm, I couldn't see how an adjustment could be made, could I get some feedback or help.
Thanks
Well keep in mind this is a big heavy crate, that gets sent here via container from China on a 2-3 week journey. Unloaded at Gio then kicked around by UPS for another week while it's delivered to you. The shipping guys just aren't all that careful. My wife watched a UPS guy tip, drag and walk a 250lbs crate up my driveway with one of the little quads in it. Needless to say, not a light or reflector was left alive when unpacked.

These quads are shipped to be professionally PDI'd and assembled. You do need to have an idea of how things work to feel comfortable putting them together without instructions. (took me 8 hours the first one I had here)

I have not seen your unit personally, but on most of these quads there are four bolts to loosen mid rear axel, and two adjustor nuts/bolts to move the axel in an 'arc' to tighten or loosen the chain. You might need to crawl around on the ground and look underneath to see them. I find it easier to adjust my chains while the quad is in the back of the pickup with the tailgate down and me standing on the ground behind it so I can access that stuff without killing my back.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:40 PM   #3

And don't forget that most of the chains that come on these quads aren't very good anyways, they have been fine on my 100c and 50cc atv's but definatly needed to be replaced on my 200cc beast, i'd suggest doing it now, that will save you from doing it a month from now.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum jethro99!

Since these guys have responded to your questions, I'll just add that we'd love to see photos when you have time.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #5

I have looked on my new Gio Rebel T3 and have not found any means of adjustment as well. I was getting around to posting that dilemma soon. I don't have a pic yet either.
Riding a blue plated HSUN 200GY (Otherwise know as a ULIKE 200GY, SUNL 200GY or a VIVA SX200S), a 2010 Gio Mini Hummer 110cc ATV, 2010 Gio T3 Rebel ATV, and a 2002 Kawasaki KLR650, 70cc Katera dirtbike, and a 49cc GIO dirtbike...so far!

Old 04-17-2010, 09:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainsquishy
I have looked on my new Gio Rebel T3 and have not found any means of adjustment as well. I was getting around to posting that dilemma soon. I don't have a pic yet either.
I looked at your pics on another post of yours that shows the rearend, it looks like there is only the 2 bolts that capture the rear axle housing, is is possible that is is an eccentric and by loosing the bolts and turning the housing will do the chain tension?

Need more rear end pics, lol.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:35 AM   #7

chain adjustment

Thank-you all for the responses.
I do understand the journey our toys go through but there has to be some limit to the damage, my shipping fees were $370. hope it comes in only a couple of pieces. I'm sure after the first crash, anything will blend in. I see brain couldn't see anywhere to adjust either. Waynev, I think you might be on to something. I'm just reading the replies, I'll have to take a look at it. The manual certainly doesn't describe that set-up...lol I think I'll get the adjustment thing cleared up first before I wreck a good quality one. Any other helpful hints would be appreciated. Like does anyone have an idea how to stop the gas from coming up from the key hole on the gas cap? Thats a secondary problem, I need to figure out this chain adjustment first. Thanks All.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:23 AM   #8

Not sure what kind of gas cap comes on the T3, but if it's like the one on my T1 then i just used a pc of 1/4" fuel line and ran it from the cap to a hole that was in the handlebar clamp pc to keep the fuel from spilling out of the top.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
How many times have I said that!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-26-2010, 10:26 PM   #10

rebel's gas cap and chain adjustment

The new rebel requires a key to get the gas cap off and the gas just spours out of the core of the lock. There is a over flow as well which they didn't supply a line for but that was an easy fix. We tried only filling the tank half way which did help a bit but still a problem. This quad loves the fuel I'll have to figure something out. I can't understand why its a locking cap to begin with.
Still trying to figure out the chain adjustment.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:41 AM   #11

Can you swap to a non-locking cap? That would allow you to vent it in the way waynev recommends.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainsquishy
I looked at your pics on another post of yours that shows the rearend, it looks like there is only the 2 bolts that capture the rear axle housing, is is possible that is is an eccentric and by loosing the bolts and turning the housing will do the chain tension?

OK, so I think I need to tighten the chain on this T3.
Has anyone done this yet?
Any help?
The eccentric portion is silver in the middle. The plate the brake caliper is attached to fits over a pin which corresponds to the slot on the plate. It looks like it can allow an adjustment, but there is no visible way to turn the center portion of the axle.
I thought of using a strap of some sort, maybe an oil filter wrench type thing.

Riding a blue plated HSUN 200GY (Otherwise know as a ULIKE 200GY, SUNL 200GY or a VIVA SX200S), a 2010 Gio Mini Hummer 110cc ATV, 2010 Gio T3 Rebel ATV, and a 2002 Kawasaki KLR650, 70cc Katera dirtbike, and a 49cc GIO dirtbike...so far!

Old 05-05-2010, 10:10 PM   #13

Also, any idea of where I should install a grease nipple for this axle? Do I just drill into the middle of the silver housing and stop the moment it break through?

Old 05-05-2010, 10:44 PM   #14

So it was an eccentric, yeah i was right, so to me it looks like you need to loosen those two bolts and then i'd be guessing a wrench on that big nut to the left of the brake rotor to turn the assembly to tighten the chain, let us know.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:10 PM   #15

Quote:
So it was an eccentric, yeah i was right, so to me it looks like you need to loosen those two bolts and then i'd be guessing a wrench on that big nut to the left of the brake rotor to turn the assembly to tighten the chain, let us know.
I tried the nut bit today. It turn freely from the center portion (silver). A guy on the Gio site made this comment about it:

"the new honda style rear carrier axles are awesome, but no holes in sprocket to rotate the carrier to tighten the chain! also must put grease nipple into rear carrier or first puddle you go through a few weeks later it will blow apart, not good. if you are handy and can tweak this unit then i recommend, if you arent going to remedy these problems then i wouldnt recommend."

So are we left to use some kind of strap or something do to this oversight?
...and now I'm worried about the greasing issue. I need to get a grease nipple in there ASAP. Might need to disassemble it to do that without botching things up.