Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2016, 04:11 PM   #1

New and (very green to ATVs) from Valleyview, AB, Canada

3 used quads for $300 for my kids aged 5-12 I thought was a steal, especially after I'm told they were running but need a solenoid and a few batteries. Even a "greenhorn" like me should be able to work that magic! After three weeks of fiddling around, ordering parts in and even a new engine!, I still only have 1 of 3 running and it's gutless for a 90cc...Xmas idea didn't work out so great to say the least! Unheated garage, frozen fingers and feet, fingers raw from youtubing and forum scanning....I feel like letting go--letting God at this point! Would love to learn how to get these up and running and hearing my kids laughing and cheering, the smell of little motors roaring along the local trails and my boys needing to get hosed off before even entering the garage! How's that for my intro?

Old 01-14-2016, 11:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli2012 View Post
3 used quads for $300 for my kids aged 5-12 I thought was a steal, especially after I'm told they were running but need a solenoid and a few batteries. Even a "greenhorn" like me should be able to work that magic! After three weeks of fiddling around, ordering parts in and even a new engine!, I still only have 1 of 3 running and it's gutless for a 90cc...Xmas idea didn't work out so great to say the least! Unheated garage, frozen fingers and feet, fingers raw from youtubing and forum scanning....I feel like letting go--letting God at this point! Would love to learn how to get these up and running and hearing my kids laughing and cheering, the smell of little motors roaring along the local trails and my boys needing to get hosed off before even entering the garage! How's that for my intro?
Welcome!

Quading is fun and addicting!

I myself, bought one quad, then another and already looking for a third so I can ride with the kids!

My story is a little similar to yours.. right now, after trying to do a cam chain replacement, I discovered a broken tooth off the tranny.. now I am going through the process of a mini engine rebuilt ( I have never done this ) buying parts, online manuals, youtubing, etc.. crazy , but addicting..!!!

Old 01-15-2016, 11:02 AM   #3

Kokopelli2012, let's start with one quad, and make some progress. Please show us a pic of the 90 (so we're clear on the type), and we'll start by improving the performance. At least the kids will have something to play with until the others are running.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-15-2016, 01:02 PM   #4

gutless probably means one or more of the following issues: intake, valve, exhaust

intake side can be clogged filters, carb jetting or clogs, fuel flow

valves can be incorrect spacing or cam timing

exhaust can be clogs/restrictions

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250

Old 01-15-2016, 02:02 PM   #5

Welcome; you came to the right place for help.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-16-2016, 05:35 PM   #6

Newbies and Chinese quads, especially used, seem to not be the best combo around here on Chinariders judging by the members who join in the same situation as you; that being said, it is not impossible to get them up and running, as evidenced by people who have joined under similar conditions as you. I bet in a few weeks (heck, months), you will have enough advice to get these running by the spring thaw! Welcome, BTW!!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard